Drippers and boxes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Now that i have your attention...

It seems that i see frequently things posted like "i use a dripper so this box mod is useless to me". Is it that some people dont like to use box mods with RDAs or am i missing some info on regulated mods that may be somehow incompatible with an rda? I can't imagine any reason why box mods wouldn't work well with an rda but i suppose anything is possible.

I love my dripper and ive been considering getting a box for the control (im currently a mech mod fanatic).

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
I only have 3 regulated mods 2 are 20 watt eleaf istick and one 50 watt istick I use my 50 watt for my dripper the only issue I had with the 20 watt is my 2 ohm coil couldn't be vaped higher than 15 which wasn't warm enough and the reason I bought a 50 was because my coil builds were too low and the 20 watt kept saying " no atomizer" I can vape the two ohm coil but not hot enough. the literature says my build could read as low as 0.2 but I would not build a coil that low - I don't know much about ohms law and read somewhere that building lower than 0.5 without knowing what you are doing is asking for issues so I don't

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I am not a dripper, myself. But I will say I just ordered a 200W Snow Wolf box and I am now looking for a decent RDA to put on it. Oh, I intend to vape tanks mostly, But a nice RDA-- I'm seriously considering the Council of Vapor Aris Pro-- might be fun for once in a while. In general, if you can get electricity out of it at safe current levels, I don't see how the shape of the mod would matter.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
I am not a dripper, myself. But I will say I just ordered a 200W Snow Wolf box and I am now looking for a decent RDA to put on it. Oh, I intend to vape tanks mostly, But a nice RDA-- I'm seriously considering the Council of Vapor Aris Pro-- might be fun for once in a while. In general, if you can get electricity out of it at safe current levels, I don't see how the shape of the mod would matter.
check out reviews on the aris pro - i have one, it is well built and very pretty, but i have not found a good build for it yet - does not seem to like sub ohm - may be operator error - take a look at one of the hellboy clones - love that on my m80 box

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I only have 3 regulated mods 2 are 20 watt eleaf istick and one 50 watt istick I use my 50 watt for my dripper the only issue I had with the 20 watt is my 2 ohm coil couldn't be vaped higher than 15 which wasn't warm enough and the reason I bought a 50 was because my coil builds were too low and the 20 watt kept saying " no atomizer" I can vape the two ohm coil but not hot enough. the literature says my build could read as low as 0.2 but I would not build a coil that low - I don't know much about ohms law and read somewhere that building lower than 0.5 without knowing what you are doing is asking for issues so I don't
Well, you're right about building low without knowing what you're doing is asking for trouble. But if you're interested, you can find out how to do it safely right here on the forums. Go to the sub ohm subforum on the APV forum and you'll step into a minefield. The real issue with safety is not low resistance but asking more from a battery than it can give you. However, there are reputable battery manufacturers now building honest 30 amp batteries. According to the handy-dandy Ohm's Law Calculator website-- bookmark that link, it's useful :) -- if you ask a 30 amp battery for 25 amps, leaving a 16% safety margin, you could safely build down to .186 Ohms on a fully charged battery at 4.2 volts on a mechanical mod, and deliver 105 Watts of power. Oddly enough, I just bought 4-30 amp batteries today, Sony VTC4s, from a reputable dealer, RTD Vapor, where they just happen to be having an excellent sale on the silly things; 4 of them plus two 2-battery safe storage boxes for $29.00, free shipping. It *can* be done safely. And the info you need to do it so is right here on this board.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
check out reviews on the aris pro - i have one, it is well built and very pretty, but i have not found a good build for it yet - does not seem to like sub ohm - may be operator error - take a look at one of the hellboy clones - love that on my m80 box
Thank you, I shall do so. I'll read the reviews, too. I got touted onto the Royal Hunter, so I went to Council of Vapor and got sidetracked. It *is* pretty :)

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I currently build dual coils in the 0.5-0.7 range. Ive been considering the box so i could get enough power to build twisted coils. I need the power for low ohm twisted dual coils, no way i will get enough with just a vtc4 in a mech. Im looking at a few high wattage boxes for that purpose only.
I'm currently running dual Claptons at .4 in a Fogger V6 on a Nemesis with a VTC4 driving it-- holding it in my hand right now. Good flavor and better than medium vapor production. But not lung-busting clouds, no.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Well, you're right about building low without knowing what you're doing is asking for trouble. But if you're interested, you can find out how to do it safely right here on the forums. Go to the sub ohm subforum on the APV forum and you'll step into a minefield. The real issue with safety is not low resistance but asking more from a battery than it can give you. However, there are reputable battery manufacturers now building honest 30 amp batteries. According to the handy-dandy Ohm's Law Calculator website-- bookmark that link, it's useful :) -- if you ask a 30 amp battery for 25 amps, leaving a 16% safety margin, you could safely build down to .186 Ohms on a fully charged battery at 4.2 volts on a mechanical mod, and deliver 105 Watts of power. Oddly enough, I just bought 4-30 amp batteries today, Sony VTC4s, from a reputable dealer, RTD Vapor, where they just happen to be having an excellent sale on the silly things; 4 of them plus two 2-battery safe storage boxes for $29.00, free shipping. It *can* be done safely. And the info you need to do it so is right here on this board.

Very well put!

Reactions: suprtrkr

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I'm currently running dual Claptons at .4 in a Fogger V6 on a Nemesis with a VTC4 driving it-- holding it in my hand right now. Good flavor and better than medium vapor production. But not lung-busting clouds, no.

Before i swapped out for a .5 dual coil build i was running 1.1 dual on single coil with an LG HE4 in my king v2. I was in at the local B&M and the rep didnt believe me when i told him i wasnt sub ohming. I had to load it on his ohm reader to prove the build was 1.1 lol. Dropped to .5 and its clouding huge for me with great flavor. I am just that guy who wants to try every build possible just to see what its like. Ive had my RDA for 2 weeks now and its had 7 different builds in it already lol .5 was my favorite so far so thats what i built last night and thats where i think i will stay for a while.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Before i swapped out for a .5 dual coil build i was running 1.1 dual on single coil with an LG HE4 in my king v2. I was in at the local B&M and the rep didnt believe me when i told him i wasnt sub ohming. I had to load it on his ohm reader to prove the build was 1.1 lol. Dropped to .5 and its clouding huge for me with great flavor. I am just that guy who wants to try every build possible just to see what its like. Ive had my RDA for 2 weeks now and its had 7 different builds in it already lol .5 was my favorite so far so thats what i built last night and thats where i think i will stay for a while.
I used to think I was a dual coil man, myself. But then I got a Lemo2. Came from the factory with a pre-built .5 single Kanthal wicked organic cotton and I thought WTH, I'll try it. My faith in duals is... aaahhh... wavering a tad... I mostly vape tanks, and I really like the low-mess, low-bother of top fill. I love my Fogger V6. But I tried a Kayfun V4-- doesn't breathe well enough for me-- and the Lemo just to check out the different top-fill designs. The Lemo is *awesome.* Comes stock with a PEEK insulator, and a 6mm chimney, and is the only tank I've ever had to *close down* the airflow to get it right. Usually I'm drilling the deck; I may do so on the Fogger. Live and learn, right?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I'm definetly a newb, what's a dripper ?
RDA, a Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer. Basically, it's just a deck with posts to hang coil(s) on and a cover. There's no tank to store e-juice in, just a well on the deck that will only hold a few drops of juice. When you vape one, you have to put more juice in it every 2 or 3 puffs, just a few drops at a time, hence "dripper." The people you see at vape shops and e-juice bars who are blowing mega-clouds are usually hitting low ohm drippers on high watt mods. Some people like it because it's fun, but mostly it's about big flavor and giant clouds.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Arriss

Jun 24, 2015
Central Tx
Hi suprtrkr, thanks for the dripper education. Guess, I won't be using one, my arm would be to tired from dripping juice all day, but on a positive note, I'd be building some serious arm muscle, Lol !!

RDA, a Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer. Basically, it's just a deck with posts to hang coil(s) on and a cover. There's no tank to store e-juice in, just a well on the deck that will only hold a few drops of juice. When you vape one, you have to put more juice in it every 2 or 3 puffs, just a few drops at a time, hence "dripper." The people you see at vape shops and e-juice bars who are blowing mega-clouds are usually hitting low ohm drippers on high watt mods. Some people like it because it's fun, but mostly it's about big flavor and giant clouds.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Hi suprtrkr, thanks for the dripper education. Guess, I won't be using one, my arm would be to tired from dripping juice all day, but on a positive note, I'd be building some serious arm muscle, Lol !!
Lol, you're welcome. For most folks, dripping is a stay at home activity so you don't have to carry the gear. When they're out and about, they put a tank on the mod and don't worry about it. You're talking about expensive gear, but some people get the best of both worlds. They have special mods and bottom-feed RDAs-- they call them "squonkers" but don't ask me why-- with a juice bottle in the mod, feeding a tiny pipe to the atomizer. Every few hits, instead or dripping, you just squonk the bottle in the mod and it refills the atty. Forum search for squonk and you'll see. FWIW, if you've got a high power box-- call it 50W or better-- or a mechanical with a good battery, I'd try it just to see, and for practice building coils and wicking. If nothing else, you can test new juice flavors without cleaning a tank; just wash the dripper, pull in some fresh cotton and have at it. You can buy a hellboy clone for $15, and an authentic Royal Hunter for twice that. Just a thought.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It seems that i see frequently things posted like "i use a dripper so this box mod is useless to me". Is it that some people dont like to use box mods with RDAs or am i missing some info on regulated mods that may be somehow incompatible with an RDA? I can't imagine any reason why box mods wouldn't work well with an RDA but i suppose anything is possible.

Box mods come in both regulated and mechanical models. I have a Reo Grand, a bottom fed mech box mod and a few regulated box mods.

You can use RDAs on anything. I use both RDAs and tanks on all my mods. The mod just has to be able to safely supply the power you want from it.

I love my dripper and ive been considering getting a box for the control (im currently a mech mod fanatic).

Mech mods are great. I used them for a couple of years almost exclusively. Earlier this year I bought a few regulated mods. A Sigelei 150 and two 40 watt temperature protected mods. Regulated mods are great because they open up a whole new world of possibilities that mech mods just don't offer. I'm vaping one of each right now :)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I currently build dual coils in the 0.5-0.7 range. Ive been considering the box so i could get enough power to build twisted coils. I need the power for low ohm twisted dual coils, no way i will get enough with just a vtc4 in a mech. Im looking at a few high wattage boxes for that purpose only.

As suprtrkr said, atty resistance is not an issue with regulated mods. The mod has to be able to handle the resistance you've built, but as long as it can it will fire you're safe.

What you need to be aware of is that you need to use batteries that can handle the amp draw on them that the watts you set need. Resistance is irrelavant for this (unlike with mech mods), it's all about the watts you're vaping at. In a nutshell it takes about 20 amps from one battery to handle 50 watts and 30A for 75 watts. If you have two batteries in a mod that is rated for 100 watts, two 20A batteries will share the load and be safe at 100 watts. I use 30A batteries when I feel like going over 100 watts in the Sigelei 150.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
As suprtrkr said, atty resistance is not an issue with regulated mods. The mod has to be able to handle the resistance you've built, but as long as it can it will fire you're safe.

What you need to be aware of is that you need to use batteries that can handle the amp draw on them that the watts you set need. Resistance is irrelavant for this (unlike with mech mods), it's all about the watts you're vaping at. In a nutshell it takes about 20 amps from one battery to handle 50 watts and 30A for 75 watts. If you have two batteries in a mod that is rated for 100 watts, two 20A batteries will share the load and be safe at 100 watts. I use 30A batteries when I feel like going over 100 watts in the Sigelei 150.
FWIW, I just stick with my boring old green VTC4s in everything. I'd rather have the ampacity available than the extra battery capacity. Never know when you're going to get a dead short...

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Thanks for the info everyone! Ive been browsing around for a decent regulated mod and I have a few models in mind, i usually do a search on here for any piece of gear that im even considering buying before i spend the cash. The batteries i buy can all handle the loads i give them so im not too worried there, just a bit of a learning curve for boxes over mechs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread