Dripping... what am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffTM

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Chatsworth, CA
I've heard so many people swear by dripping, but it just seems to be a hassle. I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong. I usually drip 2 or 3 drips into the atomizer (501). Any more than that and it floods and I get crappy vapor (but strong throat hit for some reason). I find there's a "sweet spot" of maybe 2 or 3 puffs where I get maximum vapor. After that, the vapor production reduces significantly, and I need to add another drop or two of liquid. Am I doing something wrong? I thought dripping into the atty was good for about 10 solid puffs or so, but I can only get a few. HALP! :ohmy:

In case it matters, I removed the wick on the atty that I use for dripping.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
it also depends on the make of the atty and the battery you're using it on...
what I mean is if you're using a knock off 510 where the resistance is higher than a joye atty...you're just not going to get great vapor production on a stock battery either..
example the joye 510 atty is 2.2Ω and the slb 510 atty is somewhere around 3.2-3.5Ω
given a 3.2V stock 510 battery that's a big difference in watts produced from one to the other (4.18W for the joye .. 2.78W for the slb)
and wattage does affect vapor production and heat..

mokeyjoe

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2009
Preston, UK
It's hard to know what you're doing wrong. I've always dripped since my first day with my first ecig because I find it by far the easiest and most consistent way to vape.

You're right 2 drips should be enough for 10 drags or so. I feel I get a cigarette's worth of vaping from 2 drops, which is one reason it seems so natural to me.

Your atomiser may have been near flooding to begin with. Blow it out and just keep vaping on it regardless of performance until it starts to taste dry. You should get a primer-like taste well before the vapour starts to go. Now add your three drops, wait a few seconds for it to soak in and start vaping. Once you get the dry taste again add 2 drops.

I think people try and use too much juice when dripping. Really the less liquid you can use the better the performance generally is. Even three drops is often too much unless your atty is pretty dry.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
The only thing I noticed that I would do differently is NOT remove the wick. I have read some people say that it is the way to go if your dripping and all, but I drip exclusively and have never had good results by removing the wick. All the problems you posted about dripping is exactly what happens to me when I remove the wick.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
It's ok to not like dripping, you know. It doesn't make you a bad man, or less of a vaper.

I don't. I know how to do it. I know how to drip in such a way that I get the exact kind of performance that all the dripping fans talk about.

Still don't like it.

It tastes nice and all, but I don't vape like I smoked. I don't have "vape breaks." I vape when I want to, and stop when I want to. Sometimes that means I don't touch it for an hour or two, and then it hardly leaves my mouth for an hour or two.

And dripping is such a pain.

I do it on occasion, but only if I'm so low on a particular juice that it's not worth filling a carto with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread