Dripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jixchel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Indiana
I'm by no means an expert with direct dripping, just started myself a few days ago. and Bought a joye LR 306 and a standard resist of the same model, using them on ego batteries. The LR is my favorite for throat hit, and the warm vape that I prefer. I watched a few videos on direct dripping on youtube, before I started. Basically I blew out the atty frst to make sure there was no primer. Dripped 5 drops into it at first and started vaping. Once the burt taste of a dry atty kicked in dripped 3 drops to refill. It doesn't take long before you know when to drip before that dry atty taste kicks in.

Absintheur

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
north central Indiana
I use 306, 510, and 901 attys. Simplest would be a 510 atty like the HH 357, I prefer the long barrel and afford using metal drip tips as they heat up fast. The 901 works on either a 901 or 808 connection but my favorite is the 306. Unless you are using a variable voltage I would advise at least a 2 ohm atomizer. When you order a 306 you will also need a 306 drip tip, these work well...

LR306 Atomizer
LR306 drip tips

There is a learning curve with dripping but it is pretty short and the benefits like flavor and vapor production are worth it.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    It would help to know what PV you intend to use. This can make a big difference in which atty you should try.
    There is no need to go off spending $22 for an atty until you are well versed on how to drip properly. Just get a couple of normal atomizer to learn with. For about the first month that I was dripping, I popped about an atty a week, so HH-357's would have been a $100 waste of money. You can find 510 atties for around $6 that work fine.

If dripping works out for you, in time you will no doubt find a great atty that you absolutely love, but at first you won't know how to evaluate the difference. For now you are better off with a less expensive atty, and invest in a good drip tip and drip shield to use with it.

Many atties are "pickled" when they are manufactured. If you like the idea of vaping some sort of machine oil, don't bother cleaning them before using. (it tastes pretty bad) A good alcohol bath works wonders. Then just blow the alcohol out, there is no need to let them set over night. You then want to drip 4 or 5 drops of juice into the atty, and let it soak in for a few minutes. Drip about two drops and take one hit. This is where many make a mistake and try to just vape away on that first fill on a new atty, and then wonder why the taste is off or tastes metallic. At least for me, if an atty is run even remotely dry on that first fill the taste will be off forever. After that one hit you can add a couple of more drops and vape away. If you flood the atty, don't worry about it, just blow it out into a paper towel and continue on. It is more important to try to prevent vaping it completely dry.

Last edited:

Berret

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 18, 2011
    Tempe, AZ
    I also am going to try to start dripping and ordered some cheap 510 attys to start with.

I do have one questions though, I see a lot of people say they prefer 306 atomizers, isn't that just the type of connection to the battery or is there some other difference I'm not aware of?

By the way, thanks to all for the good info above, it will help me out a lot :)

Jammin J

Feb 26, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    306 atty's use the same 510 connection, but they require a special drip tip due to their design. The 306 atty is not housed inside a barrel like the 510's, but rather the element is exposed and the 306 drip tip covers the element by design.

I personally drip 901's w/ a drip shield on my Provari the majority of the time, but I also have LR 306's and 510's that use on some of my other devices.

Dripping requires some initial trial and error, but once you get it down, it's relatively easy to manage. It has become my preferred method of vaping.

J

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 19, 2011
    Wolfe Paradise
    Please bare in mind i am Canadian (do not hold this against me lol) so my prices are in CND, so with conversion it would be about what? $5 USD? :laugh:
    Bad jokes aside I have a $20 dragon totem ego, and a $3.99 smoktech 2 ohm bridgless atomizer and a drip tip i took from my tank and having a ball.
    For Better fun I have a Altoids box mod that runs on 4 AA's then using left over gear i have hear made myself a drip shield. (thread to what i did or youtube supplied if asked for, do not want to clog up the original thread with unwanted stuff).

One thing i did notice (someone please correct me here): After dripping for two days from a 10ml bottle, i found i used less juice then as if i had put it in a boge, stardust, Phoenix. I was still vaping the same nothing changed there, just the amount of juice used. I also noticed (maybe because it was bridgeless?) that the flavor of the juice was five times better then compared to a cart or CE2/3/4

teamscon

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 3, 2012
    NC
    Out of cartos, tanks, and dripping, I havent found a system that gives a better taste and th as a low res atty with drip tip!! Thats saying alot, because ill defend tanks to my death lol.
    I use a low res 510 tip with cone for my ego. I may switch to strictly dripping at home soon .. Having massive tank issues atm and cant use cartos.

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 19, 2011
    Wolfe Paradise
    I noticed the same thing, I use less juice dripping then when using an EMDCC or a DCT tank :)
    For a second i thought it was my imagination :D looking at this it is scaring me just how much is unused and burnt off through other devices :facepalm: going on this math i have about 170ml (normally last me about two weeks (three if i stretch it), i should have enough for a month now :D

Out of cartos, tanks, and dripping, I havent found a system that gives a better taste and th as a low res atty with drip tip!! Thats saying alot, because ill defend tanks to my death lol.
    I use a low res 510 tip with cone for my ego. I may switch to strictly dripping at home soon .. Having massive tank issues atm and cant use cartos.

I hear you on that one. Thinking on tossing the cheap phoenix knock off (one vendor here calls then 'fire birds') shelving the v510, and two boges (as back ups) then using the stardust V3 as a discus, and the Vision grande as a skipping stone. three more of these bridgeless atomizers and maybe a swivel drip tip and off the class with the tanks and stainless steel drip times i have

Last edited:

Jixchel

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Please bare in mind i am Canadian (do not hold this against me lol) so my prices are in CND, so with conversion it would be about what? $5 USD? :laugh:
    Bad jokes aside I have a $20 dragon totem ego, and a $3.99 smoktech 2 ohm bridgless atomizer and a drip tip i took from my tank and having a ball.
    For Better fun I have a Altoids box mod that runs on 4 AA's then using left over gear i have hear made myself a drip shield. (thread to what i did or youtube supplied if asked for, do not want to clog up the original thread with unwanted stuff).

One thing i did notice (someone please correct me here): After dripping for two days from a 10ml bottle, i found i used less juice then as if i had put it in a boge, stardust, Phoenix. I was still vaping the same nothing changed there, just the amount of juice used. I also noticed (maybe because it was bridgeless?) that the flavor of the juice was five times better then compared to a cart or CE2/3/4

I noticed the same thing, I am using far less liquid, about 2ml's less a day, and that is with a LR atty on an ego battery. Some have said LR uses more juice, but I haven't noticed that it does. Flavor, vapor and throat hit are far more than any carto, clearo, and even the ego-c setup.

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 19, 2011
    Wolfe Paradise
    I noticed the same thing, I am using far less liquid, about 2ml's less a day, and that is with a LR atty on an ego battery. Some have said LR uses more juice, but I haven't noticed that it does. Flavor, vapor and throat hit are far more than any carto, clearo, and even the ego-c setup.

thanks. I was seriously wondering if it was just me or not.....

I did do a ego comparison on a LR atty, and found sure the vapor was there, but the TH was weak and the flavor was so muted it was driving me nuts. On the same atty, i moved that to the Lavatube and found that set to 4.8V there was so much improved flavor that on a watermelon vape i thought i had actually bit into a piece, the vapor was great as well so was the TH......it floors me how much is lost like you said in carto's, clearo's, tanks, etc

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 19, 2011
    Wolfe Paradise
    I am Canadian aswell. I was looking at a bridgeless. Do they work the same or is there other things to watch out for. Happy vaping

Welcome and you have it easy then as you are so very close to Jug heads the cheapest atty for dripping i can recommend is SmokTech 510 Bridgeless LR 2.0 ohm Atomizer ($3.99), then for Drip Tips i would say avoid the 510/901 Aluminum WhistleTip DripTips, but maybe their 510/901 Aluminum Round DripTips ($1.99) or 510/901 Delrin DripTips ($1.49 -- MAKE SURE YOU GET 510 SPECIFIC) or even their 510/901 Clear Acrylic Plastic DripTips ($1.99) if you want to try their juice grab a sampler for like $1.99 as well (??) (they have all on the same page and scrolling down is needed)

Which is better: bridgeless or cloth/wire mess bridge...this i would have to say is very similar to taste, or even the same to what type of battery and how much power it is kicking out is different when it comes down to the individual.

Personally i think a bridgeless (the $3.99 job) and my White Delrin DripTip ($1.49) set to 4.8V (of 6V on the Altoids box mod that runs four ordinary AA batteries) is the greatest thing since....well you get the idea....but i have been.....correction i used to smoke for 25+ years coupled with the fact of in that time eating heavily salted food for "flavor" has tore up the taste buds, so they are just starting to wake up. You may find you get different results.

Do you by chance have a ego-t or ego-c on hand? maybe one you are not using? still have the cartridges for it? that would be great to see if you like dripping and try it out....i did a video on it too...all you need to do is remove the bottom end of the plastic tank part, drip some just on the "spike" put the bottomless plastic tank inside and fire it up.....Other then that, and giving you idea's, i am sorry that personally i cannot tell you what the best equipment would be :(

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread