Dry hits on new coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idkbolton

May 5, 2018
potatotown
So I’m new to vaping, only know the basics tbh but I’ve never had a problem like this. I bought new V8-T8 coils and I replaced my old one and primed the new one with juice, put it in the tank and filled the tank up. I then let it sit for about 20 minutes just to make sure the cotton was fully saturated and then when I hit it, it didn’t taste good at all. It tasted dry and just weird in general. I have only been vaping for a couple months but I have never seen something like this before. I kinda assumed it was just a faulty coil and tried another in the same pack. It did the same exact thing. I’m honestly so confused lol, have no idea what I did wrong or what but it’s really annoying. Any help is appreciated!

Reactions: stols001

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
Try Poking holes in the sides where you see the cotton, helps the juice wick a bit better. Plus try to start at low wattage and work your way up to your desired watts. How long have you tried vaping on it? I’ve personally noticed sometimes it just takes vaping on a little bit before the flavor really comes out.

Idkbolton

May 5, 2018
potatotown
I will poke holes right now and give an update shortly. But I changed the coil last night so it’s been like a full 24 hours. In the past I’ve had that same dry taste right after putting a new coil in for like 20 minutes after ya know but it always went away after letting the juice saturate for a while.

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
I will poke holes right now and give an update shortly. But I changed the coil last night so it’s been like a full 24 hours. In the past I’ve had that same dry taste right after putting a new coil in for like 20 minutes after ya know but it always went away after letting the juice saturate for a while.
Ok, you don’t want large holes just the size of a sowing needle. Too large and it will flood the coil causing you to suck in juice. Hope this helps a bit.

Idkbolton

May 5, 2018
potatotown
Yeah I used a sowing needle. It seems to have helped a little bit, I definitely taste the juice more but it still kinda has that taste. After poking the holes I let the juice absorb into the cotton for about 20 minutes before hitting it. I’ve also been hitting it on 50W. Which is the lowest recommended watt setting it says on the coil.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
That weird taste is fairly common on smok coils. I called the "new coil taste". Funky and not really describable. Does the taste go away after a couple tankfuls? Give it that, blow thru a couple tanks an see if it gets better rather than changing coils so often. This was my experience as well. After i vaped a tankful or two, that weird taste would go away and everything would be ok. The coils for the tfv12 seemed a bit better but i got one the other day that also had the new coil taste for a bit. If its something you cant abide with, you could change brands or even look into building your own coils on an RTA or other rebuildable.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Humble is a coil eater. Smok is know for bad coils so you could have received a bad batch.
With the larger coils definitely take several no power hits and then start out at as low as 35w. There is alot of cotton in those. Hth

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Most novices fail in properly priming their new coils. (A few drops of liquid on the coil just won't cut it.) Most fail to "break in" their new coils by using a lower wattage setting with the first half of a tank. The below video shows how to properly prime a new coil and how to break in a new coil; its for a different tank than yours but the principles remains the same for any tank.

I'll agree that SMOK mods, tanks, and coils have a notorious reputation for poor quality control. You might get a single dud in a pack of coils, or the whole pack might be duds.

Cotton is used as a wick in nearly all coils. If it is a poor quality of cotton used, you can get that "new cotton" taste. That's all on the manufacturer, not you. Properly priming and breaking in a coil won't matter if the coil is bad.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Once the coil is broken in and saturated in juice I usually hit it at 90-100W but when I first put the coil in I usually hit it at about 50 just b/c that’s what I seen on the coil. Would you recommend I start even lower than that?
Welcome and glad you joined.
I find that the wattage that works for me is usually a few watts over the lowest watt setting (where i can barely see the vape cloud on the exhale). Lower watt settings lessen the chance of burning the liquid/wick and generates my perceived best flavor.
After I get my Atty (coil and chamber heat up) going for awhile, I will often times turn the power down or up to see if I can taste more flavor. I'm often surprised at how much better tasting the vape can be by adjusting the vape temp/wattage.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have gotten "new coil" tastes occasionally from drop in coils, but they usually pass quickly, and DURING the priming process. I start at 3 watts, after doing some "no hits" priming pulls. You can let your coil sit forever, frankly, and it won't absorb that much. It is YOUR action of slowly drawing on the coil that causes capillary action to happen, and juice gets sucked into the coil. You should start priming at zero watts, and slowly move up in say, 5 watt increments. You will find your sweet spot AS you prime, (and sure, possibly at the wattages you like) but in either case, you should SLOWLY prime your coil using small wattage increments, until you find a vape you like.

I'd say its even more important to prime smok coils well (and yes, some folks do better with a COUPLE tiny pokes with a needle, but good priming may not require this.

Best of luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread