"Dry hitting"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
So I'm a new convert from smoking to vaping. It's the best decision I've made in years, about anything, really. I went from chain smoking 32 hours ago to not having a single analogue for more than a day. Crazy.

One thing I've noticed though, is that when I'm craving a cig I tend to just puff and puff (and puff) on my ecig. It gets to a point where things taste a little burnt, and the throat hit gets really intense to the point where it feels gross. I'm guessing that means it's a "dry hit".

So yeah, any suggestions on how to avoid that? I'm swapping back and forth between a Stardust and an Extreme Vision clearo.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
18mg. I was told that was good for a starter.

Some do fine with 18mg when you first Quit Cigarettes. I didn't. Just about gave up on e-Cigs. Then I tried some 28mg and the Cravings fell off.

Yeah, a Dry Hit is when the Cartomizer can't keep up with the User. If you do Back to Back to Back Hits, you are going to get a Dry Hit. And their Nasty.

Try Tilting your PV Up slightly so the e-Liquid Pools around the Wick. Helps the e-Liquid to get to the Coil verses having to Climb the Wick.

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
Some do fine with 18mg when you first Quit Cigarettes. I didn't. Just about gave up on e-Cigs. Then I tried some 28mg and the Cravings fell off.

Yeah, a Dry Hit is when the Cartomizer can't keep up with the User. If you do Back to Back to Back Hits, you are going to get a Dry Hit. And their Nasty.

Try Tilting your PV Up slightly so the e-Liquid Pools around the Wick. Helps the e-Liquid to get to the Coil verses having to Climb the Wick.

I think I'm gonna stick with the 18 for the simple reason that I can vape and vape and vape, and my nicotine needs are met if I do so. I love this thing so much that I don't want to put it down :p.

As for the dry hitting, yeah, I've been moving the juice up towards the top of the wicks pretty much constantly figuring that would keep me going. I guess this is why people drip :).

teamscon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
NC
I think I'm gonna stick with the 18 for the simple reason that I can vape and vape and vape, and my nicotine needs are met if I do so. I love this thing so much that I don't want to put it down :p.

As for the dry hitting, yeah, I've been moving the juice up towards the top of the wicks pretty much constantly figuring that would keep me going. I guess this is why people drip :).

Yep, in tanks you must swish the juice to the top of wicks. I think people drip for the ritual. I imagine my self looking like a crack feen dropping 2-3 drops for 2 hits everytime lol.

Thugjustice

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Illinois
What kind of carto are you using?

I ask because the prefikled carts for blu have a mid height coil meaning that as the liquid gets past the halfway point, which is where the coil is, it will start to drop ff rapidly thanks to gravity.

You could try different carts and fill yourself. I recommend the boge LR carts. Depending on your voltage. If your using a simple ecig mini or ego style LR is perfect.

teamscon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
NC
What kind of carto are you using?

I ask because the prefikled carts for blu have a mid height coil meaning that as the liquid gets past the halfway point, which is where the coil is, it will start to drop ff rapidly thanks to gravity.

You could try different carts and fill yourself. I recommend the boge LR carts. Depending on your voltage. If your using a simple ecig mini or ego style LR is perfect.
"So yeah, any suggestions on how to avoid that? I'm swapping back and forth between a Stardust and an Extreme Vision clearo. "

Theres the cartos hes using :p

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

The key is Finding what works Best for you.

Do whatever it takes to keep from smoking a Cigaretee. Ad if that means Chain Vaping, I say Do It!

Jett1980s

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2012
Mount Vapeus
There's no doubt here that you're getting dry hits, one thing about stardust and clearos is that they only burn juice as fast as it gets to the wick so unless after every drag your tipping it to help the juice wick up there you're going to get dry hits, if you don't want the hassle of tipping it try a tank/carto system, that way you always have 1-1.5ml of liquids sitting in your carto ready for you to just puff away and whenever you sit it down the tank holding the juice will just feed into whatever you've vaped refilling the filler inside the carto.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Another suggestion that no one has mentioned yet is to try a tank with a filler hole in the side, and loosen that hole every once in a while- this allows any vacuum that's formed in the tank to return to normal pressure, in effect "forcing" more juice into the carto. Also, the larger the cart/tank system, the more juice that it will hold inside the carto itself (as opposed to inside the tank).

A second suggestion is alternating between two or MORE separate PV's (and atty's/cartos) at once. Take a few drags off of one, put it down, and pick up the other- and repeat. That should help solve the problem you're having ;)

Forgot to mention to be careful when loosening the filler hole if you try that method- sometimes the cartos will leak out the bottom when that vacuum disappears!

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
Another suggestion that no one has mentioned yet is to try a tank with a filler hole in the side, and loosen that hole every once in a while- this allows any vacuum that's formed in the tank to return to normal pressure, in effect "forcing" more juice into the carto. Also, the larger the cart/tank system, the more juice that it will hold inside the carto itself (as opposed to inside the tank).

A second suggestion is alternating between two or MORE separate PV's (and atty's/cartos) at once. Take a few drags off of one, put it down, and pick up the other- and repeat. That should help solve the problem you're having ;)

Forgot to mention to be careful when loosening the filler hole if you try that method- sometimes the cartos will leak out the bottom when that vacuum disappears!

Thanks for the tips! Right now I only have clearos with wicks, but I plan to order a tank/carto setup soon just to see what that's like :). I'll keep all this in mind when it comes in the mail!

LongHaul

Howdy Y'All
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Bradenton, Florida
You gotta realize That it's not a cig and that there is no end till the tank or whatever is empty. You will reprogram your brain over time and relearn to do things like to stop making the connection between smoking and stress. Keeping a tank handy with some 36mg nic juice for these times will help greatly. Keep at it and I would suggest going up to 24mg nic till you cut back a bit. I did the same thing went from 2.5 packs a day to 24 and even at times that wasn't enough. Over time you will learn your limits.

Sent from my truck using 3 toasters a broken microwave and 6 rubber bands McGyver style......Chuck Norris aint got crap on me

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada

Thanks for the tips! Right now I only have clearos with wicks, but I plan to order a tank/carto setup soon just to see what that's like :). I'll keep all this in mind when it comes in the mail!

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
You gotta realize That it's not a cig and that there is no end till the tank or whatever is empty. You will reprogram your brain over time and relearn to do things like to stop making the connection between smoking and stress.

Yeah, my only problem really is that since it doesn't "go out", I kind of lose track of how long I've been actually using it :).

Keeping a tank handy with some 36mg nic juice for these times will help greatly. Keep at it and I would suggest going up to 24mg nic till you cut back a bit. I did the same thing went from 2.5 packs a day to 24 and even at times that wasn't enough. Over time you will learn your limits.

36mg?! I don't think that's for me. I'm happy with the 18, I don't really have major cravings at all like I did with the patch/gum/inhalers, but I do miss the taste more than anything. I went from 1.5 packs/day to 0 the second I got my kit (3 days ago) and haven't wanted an analogue bad enough yet to actually have one. I'm happy with that result :).

Best of luck making the switch 100%, as they say in my favourite infomercials: if I can do it anyone can.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Yeah, I agree the flavor/taste is the toughest part of kicking the habit- or one of the toughest, anyway. I like 555 for those times when you need something that *remotely* resembles analogs- but no juice is perfect.

someone recently suggested boba's from alien visions...I might be trying some of that soon, if they ever re-open their site...

cbbrbbc

Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Athens, Alabama, United States
i use the stardust clearos and i notice when it drops below .8-.6 it tastes different however, you can clean these and it does help majorly in my opinion, and its funny the taste is only sometimes, shake your juice the flavor can separate some, gl.

there is a good cleaning video i found if your interested message me ill find it for you

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA

Especially when you're chain vaping, you need to turn the clearomizer upside down and swirl the liquid around to make sure the wicks are wet. I haven't used the exact clearomizers you mentioned in the OP, but that should solve the issue as long as you're not actually out of juice……at which point you need to re-fill it.

But, yes, what you described is a dry hit. They're disgusting. And they just mean that not enough liquid is getting to the coil, which means your wicks aren't wet enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread