Dual Coil Carto Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoppaRoadCruiser

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Dallas, TX
So I posted a thread last week in regards to cartos. I was having trouble finding available flanged single coil cartos. Talked to IBTanked and they told me that they should have the 2.0 ohm single coil smoks in sometime this week.

Well I broke down and went to my local b&m and bought some of their cartos. I verified that they were smok brand too. They had double punch 2.0 ohm ones and I thought I was a happy man. That is until I got home, got my carto in my tank, primed it and started vaping. These barely made any noise whatsoever compared to the cartos I had received from ibtanked. Vapor production was very poor too. Went back to the store yesterday and they informed me that the cartos they sold me are double coil instead of single coil. They didn't carry any single coils so the sales person offered to exchange them for some 1.2 ohm ones. These work better but they are still no where near as satisfying as the single coil ones. Vapor production, flavor, and throat hit are far superior with the single coil cartos IMO.

Searched around here and it seems that my opinion is definitely not in the minority. One question I do have that I haven't thought about....when you are dealing with dual coils does each coil get the same wattage as a single coil or is the wattage halved? I understand how the ohms are halved when dealing with dual coils but I'm unsure on the wattage. So in theory, on a 1.2 ohm double coil, there are two 2.4 ohm coils. If I set my mvp to 8 watts, is each coil getting 8 watts or are they getting only 4 individually? Should I just blast these with more voltage in order to get the same vape as the 2.0 ohm single coils? Either way once I'm finished with these I'm stocking up on single coil cartos. Also, before I got into carto tanks I was using 1.8 ohm aspire bdc tanks. Always vaped around 3.8 - 4 volts and the vape was satisfying. Good flavor, vapor production, and throat it. Is there something different about dual coil atomizers vs dual coil cartomizers?

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Thanks. I was thinking the same on my aspire bdcs so I found it strange that 4 watts/coil (8 watts total) has been satisfying me this whole time. The cartos are a different story...

Yeah...it probably also depends on coil design. Also, people run DCC stuff to get a cooler vape. But 4 watts....wow, that's cool. Kinda depends on surface area per watt.

JoppaRoadCruiser

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Dallas, TX
Yeah...it probably also depends on coil design. Also, people run DCC stuff to get a cooler vape. But 4 watts....wow, that's cool. Kinda depends on surface area per watt.

I know! I always had the mvp set on 8 watts when vaping the 1.8 ohm bdc aspires and the vape was good imo. Don't think the mvp picks up on single vs. double coil...at least there is no setting.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Yeah I'm running at 3.6 volts right now and things aren't too bad. I believe that puts me at 3 amps which I believe is the cutoff for the mvp. The 1.2 ohms are far better than the 2.0 ones. Still like the single coils more though.

Yep...3 amps, 10.8 watts total, 5.4 per coil.

This is why I hate DCC's. Mostly because....explaining it is a pain.

Also, I'm wondering what your vape shop is selling that they only sell DCC's. And if they are trying to get you to buy a new rig from them. Or what the deal is.

Last edited:

JoppaRoadCruiser

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Dallas, TX
Yep...3 amps, 10.8 watts.

This is why I hate DCC's. Mostly because....explaining it is a pain.

Also, I'm wondering what your vape shop is selling that they only sell DCC's. And if they are trying to get you to buy a new rig from them. Or what the deal is.

The carto tanks I saw in the display appeared to be made my smok. The sales girl mentioned smok tanks when I brought up smok cartos too.

Just researched it more...it appears they were the pyrex dct tanks.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Here's the backstory on dual coil cartomizers and DCT (dual coil tanks):

Back in the early days when the first vapers were making their own cartotanks out of medical syringes (mass-produced cartotanks weren't even around yet), Smoktech came out with the DCT cartotank. At the same time, Smoktech was introducing a brand new cartomizer which was dual coiled. All Smokteck DCT tanks came equipped with a dual coil cartomizer. A marketing strategy which paid off for Smoktech.

I believe the majority of cartotank users just assumed that they could only use dual coil cartomizers in a dual coil cartotank. Well, nothing could be further from the truth. A single coil carto works as well (and many believe better) as a dual coil in a tank. To this day, there are still many people who believe you have to use a dual coil cartomizer in a DCT.

Boge, and until recently Ikenvape, have never followed suit with Smoktech to make a dual coil cartomizer. I wonder why? ;) Personally, when I started out with cartotanks I used the supplied dual coil carts. I often would get a burnt taste from them. I switched to single coils and have never gone back.

Last edited:

acka

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I've only used 2 dual coil carts before and I'm happy with single coil higher/standard resistance by and large (I get a little burnt taste off 2ohm carts but I'm realising I like a really mild vape, unusually mild probably) but I've ordered some off fasttech ( been waiting aaaaaages and still no sign) as there were juices eg Pchelas 5 Layer that I couldn't seem to vape through a standard cart but came across pretty well with the dual coil. So I'm going to try them and see.

Maybe for thicker juices dual coils are the way to go?

Hurry up fasttech ffs :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've only used 2 dual coil carts before and I'm happy with single coil higher/standard resistance by and large (I get a little burnt taste off 2ohm carts but I'm realising I like a really mild vape, unusually mild probably) but I've ordered some off fasttech ( been waiting aaaaaages and still no sign) as there were juices eg Pchelas 5 Layer that I couldn't seem to vape through a standard cart but came across pretty well with the dual coil. So I'm going to try them and see.

Maybe for thicker juices dual coils are the way to go?

Hurry up fasttech ffs :)
Good luck with the FastTech cartomizers. I've not heard glowing reports.

Try to find a vendor that sells genuine Boge or Smoktech cartos. Knockoff brands can be very hit or miss, mostly miss.

Using cartos with thicker juices can be a challenge. This generally means the wick material will not wick the juice as fast/easily as normal or thinner juices, so you may get some burnt taste. Has nothing to do with the number of coils; in fact a dual coil likely will burn easier than a single coil.

That top coil is more likely to burn the filler in the middle of the carto as the juice level falls during use. With only a single coil down in the bottom of the carto, and the wick hole down in the same location, a single coil carto is less likely to burn the filler material.

Duel Coil Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread