dual coil vs single coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

wshanncap

Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Ohio, USA
Is it just me or does anyone else get the idea that a single coil works better than a dual? I was excited to step into the world of dual coil decks. But after spending several days with it I just seem to get more vape and better flavor out of a single than duals. Keep in mind that I am comparing the same wire (28 gauge Kanthal) around the same drill (3/23) at the same resistance (0.5 ohm) on the same device (Vamo V6 and Patriot rda). I tried playing with different watts and it just seems better with a single 0.5 coil than two 1.0 coils. What's up with that?:confused:

kitten frenzy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
I've never messed with dual coils myself, but have vaped on a few that were properly set up and they were noticeably better in terms of vapor production. I'm guessing there's a bit of a learning curve before you get it perfect?

But then again, I never compared the same RDA in a single and dual coil setup side by side.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Well, at least on paper, given the same resistance (single 0.5 ohm and dual 1 ohm) you are going to need to drive those coils at twice the wattage to get the same performance. On paper.

In the real world, it's not as cut and dried like that, but if you think about it, you really are "splitting" your wattage between the two one-ohm coils instead of delivering all the wattage to ONE coil.

In my opinion, dual coil drippers are better suited to higher power applications or mechanicals. :2c:

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
Wattage basically equals heat? So if you are holding wattage constant isn't it more a comparison of concentrated heat over less surface area vs less heat over more surface area? I would kind of expect there to be some cross over point where the two would perform equally and above or below that point they would vary in characteristics. Like maybe more, cooler vapor vs less, hotter vapor. and that crossover point would be highly dependent on wicking, type of juice, etc. Just a wild guess. I've been out of it for a few years but I have a TNS that should be here in a couple of days. Can convert between single and dual so I'll be doing a lot of experimenting shortly. :)

K_Tech

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Wattage basically equals heat? So if you are holding wattage constant isn't it more a comparison of concentrated heat over less surface area vs less heat over more surface area? I would kind of expect there to be some cross over point where the two would perform equally and above or below that point they would vary in characteristics. Like maybe more, cooler vapor vs less, hotter vapor. and that crossover point would be highly dependent on wicking, type of juice, etc. Just a wild guess. I've been out of it for a few years but I have a TNS that should be here in a couple of days. Can convert between single and dual so I'll be doing a lot of experimenting shortly. :)

Well, technically, wattage is simply a measure of power. For vaping, that power is expressed as heat that vaporizes our e-liquid.

But yes, you are correct in thinking that spreading that power over a larger surface effectively lowers the "vape" output.

Using the situation described by the OP, let's just say that a 1 ohm coil has twice the surface area in contact with a wet wick than its 0.5 ohm counterpart (assuming the same gauge wire).

Dual 1 ohm coils are spreading the power out over 4 times the surface area of a 0.5 ohm single coil.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Is it just me or does anyone else get the idea that a single coil works better than a dual? I was excited to step into the world of dual coil decks. But after spending several days with it I just seem to get more vape and better flavor out of a single than duals. Keep in mind that I am comparing the same wire (28 gauge Kanthal) around the same drill (3/23) at the same resistance (0.5 ohm) on the same device (Vamo V6 and Patriot RDA). I tried playing with different watts and it just seems better with a single 0.5 coil than two 1.0 coils. What's up with that?:confused:

28 gauge, 1 ohm, you're basically going to want 10 to 15 watts per coil.

Try 1 ohm single coil. That's what I'm vaping right now on my vamos; I got one at 1.3 ohms and the other is at 1.2 ohms.

wshanncap

Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Ohio, USA
Thanks everyone. I was playing with the watts a bit. Probably not going high enough though. Hadn't really thought about the effect on the heat like you said. I'm still playing around with it and will keep trying. I will also try raising the ohms a bit on the next build. Maybe two 1.5 ohms for a finished 0.75 and up the watts. I'll let you know how things progress. I know a lot of people like dual coils and I will find that sweet spot. Thanks again you all. I love this forum.

Ryan419

Aug 13, 2014
Tulalip WA
Well at the moment I'm running dual twisted 28 gauge at .8 ohm in my caterpillar RDA I can get a pretty good clouds from it not gonna win any contests though.

Only time I run single coil is in my Kayfun tank I run that between .8 - 1.0 ohm. duel coils in it were cool till one quit firing and the other one started running with 2x the power and burned my wick.

So I like duel coils better but like to run them a little lower ohm than I would a single coil.

Just waiting on my dark horse RDA should be here Monday at latest.
Plan on building a quad coil around .2 ohm and seeing what kind of cloud I can get with the air adjustment ring off. think it might be to much air but gotta try it LOL!

O ya I use a mechanical mod with the best battery's so please don't try to talk safety with me I'm rated to .12 ohm aka 35 amps

Last edited:

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
But yes, you are correct in thinking that spreading that power over a larger surface effectively lowers the "vape" output.

To a point... I'm thinking there is some cross over point.
Given a fixed wattage, more surface area is going to vaporize more liquid until the heat drops to some temperature. Below that temperature concentrating the heat over a smaller area will be better. Also the wicking dynamics come into play with the more concentrated heat. ie. if you had a really hot point source it would instantly vaporize the liquid in proximity and then it would be a matter of how fast that liquid gets replaced. So for a fixed wattage it is likely that a single or dual coil might be better. The factors being the amount of liquid available to be vaporized instantly and then wicking after that instant. At some point the performance curves will cross where the two would be identical. Something like that.

Last edited:

K_Tech

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
To a point... I'm thinking there is some cross over point.
Given a fixed wattage, more surface area is going to vaporize more liquid until the heat drops to some temperature. Below that temperature concentrating the heat over a smaller area will be better. Also the wicking dynamics come into play with the more concentrated heat. ie. if you had a really hot point source it would instantly vaporize the liquid in proximity and then it would be a matter of how fast that liquid gets replaced. So for a fixed wattage it is likely that a single or dual coil might be better. The factors being the amount of liquid available to be vaporized instantly and then wicking after that instant. At some point the performance curves will cross where the two would be identical. Something like that.

Absolutely! The only "problem" is the sweet spot may move according to atomizer design, wick material and density, coil placement, air flow, and on and on.

Kevin littell

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Covington Ga
Lets take the Kayfun....

I build a 1.2 ohm coil (28 ga Nichrone 8 twist's at 2mm ) and place it Horizontally between the posts....I get a nice vapor and flavor for about 15 ml of fluid then the wick (Japanese cotton) junks up and the flavor goes away.....5 minute rewick after practice....

If I build a .5 ohm coil (28 ga nichrome 4/5 wrap) I get a hot thick vape and a tank full before a rewick is needed.

But, if I build a .8 ohm chimney build (vertical coil not horizontal) Its good taste but too hot.

So, for a kayfun I have found that a 1-1.2 ohm closed coil chimney coil is a great flavor, 20-30 ml life-span on the wicking and doesnt drain my batteries fast.

You will need to pick a tank and try it out....Others here like .5 ohm dual coils, others wont use a chimney coil to save their lives.....

I read good and bad things about them ALL......

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Yeah you'll need a lot more power to heat duals. Slow heat up time too. I personally think dual @ .75 will be too low to get enough power out of the v6 unless your stacking. A single 28g is pushing its optimum vape. It's amp limit is about 3.5 max with single battery, 7amps with stacked 18350 which would push the duals nicely. But I would use 30 or 32g really for duals on that. 1.5-1.7 ohms total would be my target for a single battery dual of 32g. Or just stack it up so you can really push it .

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
Do you have a mech? If you do that will work out. You'll be going from 11w on single to 22w on the dual. So 11w each and it will be double.

I do have a mech. 2 now. I have a very old mech and just yesterday received my new Poldiac :). Also snagged a handful of the new AW IMR 2200mah 18650s.The protected AW Li-Ions I have been using cut off around 3 or 5 amps or something. The plan is to keep those with my old gear for backup. I do understand it's the switches that aren't rated for that kind of current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread