Dual LiPo packs or dual 18650? What gives longer vaping time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
I assumed when building a diy mod that the ability to swap 18650 would be king. Apparently I'm now reading people claim parallel lipo packs deliver more vape time?

I vape a lot, and can easily go thru 3x 2600mah batteries on my dna futura or semovar vaping at 12-15w in a day. Would dual stacked lipo of similar capacity perform better? Like 2z 2000mah/2400mah lipos?

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
lipo's have lower internal resistance and always will have better run time and power delivery @ same mah and probably a better c rating. Know that all lipo's are not the same, you can get some bootlegs that are worse for wear..

I try to use lipo's with erryting

but you cannot beat easily swap ion cells when recharging.. But who has only one mod rolling lol..

Norrin

Aug 29, 2014
Shetland
Lipo's work more efficiently so the same mAh should last longer (by how much no idea might be negligible), but lipos will take up more space. Saying that they will handle much higher amps and overall are a safer battery (since they are designed to be used by users) so it really depends what you want. If your chain vaping at low current then your 18650s will probably give you the longest life at a reasonable size, but if you are cloud chasing your lipos would be the best bet. I really can't understand why lipos aren't the markets favourite especially as they can be charged so quickly

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Two 2100Mah 18650 Sony VTC4 batteries in parallel in my SX350 box mod last all day + for me. Vaping a Kayfun, 1.5 ohm coil at 14.5 watts. 4.2 volts at 7:30 am and around 3.5 volts at 10:30 pm. I vape a lot too. Fill the Kayfun 4 or 5 times in the course of a day. Thought the info might be helpful. I am looking at the 6000 Mah, 3.7 volt LiPo for my DNA 40 mod. Recommendations for an enclosure appreciated.

Sent while presently sitting on my .... watching mind numbing prattle on the TV. 257 Channels and nothing on.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
I use a 6000mah 3.7v lipo and I never go below 4v vaping a lot. But, I can't remove it. It also stays on the charger most of the day as well at work. So, I'd go with a lipo from hobbyking.

I have only found 1 3.7 volt LiPo at hobby king. I must not be looking in the right place. The one I've found, 6000 Mah is too big for my proposed case. Any hints to slightly smaller ones. I am vaping a dual 18650 build now at 4200mah and it lasts me all day so I am looking for something in the 4500 to 5000 mah range. Thanks for any help.

Sent while presently sitting on my .... watching mind numbing prattle on the TV. 257 Channels and nothing on.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Hi Matt, go to batteries and acc., select all li-po's, and then at the top of the listing will be a row with 12s,10s, etc., select 1s. That will get you individual cells vice packs.

Did that. Still haven't found what I want. The size of the 6000 mah must be a standard as all the others in the 4 to 6000 mah range are pretty much the same size.

This fine print is a not so subtle reminder to always read the fine print before signing anything.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Lipo's work more efficiently so the same mAh should last longer (by how much no idea might be negligible), but lipos will take up more space. Saying that they will handle much higher amps and overall are a safer battery (since they are designed to be used by users) so it really depends what you want. If your chain vaping at low current then your 18650s will probably give you the longest life at a reasonable size, but if you are cloud chasing your lipos would be the best bet. I really can't understand why lipos aren't the markets favourite especially as they can be charged so quickly

What are other batteries designed to be used by?

T

mberlinger3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
You can get the same Mah with duel 18650 and swap them out if the 6000Mah runs dry on you during the day. But I haven't used the flat Lipo pack to compare but you will have more space filled up in the mod to get 6000Mah in the Lipo's. I can fit 2 18650's and a DNA board with USB charger in a Hammond 1590G box
Did you have to use the bap cover?

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
It's a Hammond 1590G box with the 10mm Bap flat SX350 cover. 50mm Wide x 41mm Deep x 101mm Tall, when assembled. Exterior dimensions. (2"W X 1.6"D X 3.95"T). I used the Bap front because the two 18650 batteries pretty much fill the inside of the box and I didn't have to do a lot of cutting and drilling. If anyone is interested in purchasing a Bap cover they are available from Shapeways.com. I have to say that they are definitely proud of them! :)

This fine print is a not so subtle reminder to always read the fine print before signing anything.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
This a breakdown of the Fat Daddy Vapes floating pin 510 if anybody is interested. I have seen other 510s for sale but, this is by far, in my opinion, the best one out there. If Fat Daddy is out (and they are A LOT) you can get them from A to Z Vaping as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread