Not open for further replies.

Brutus Buckeye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2010
Body in Knoxville, TN
www.facebook.com
No, not unless they're specifically looking for Cotinine, which is the metabolite of nicotine.

This is correct. I work in the drug testing business and this is the only concern, Most testing for this is for insurance purposes and we are seeing it in school athletics related testing and also some medical field positions.

danielwd

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
This is correct. I work in the drug testing business and this is the only concern, Most testing for this is for insurance purposes and we are seeing it in school athletics related testing and also some medical field positions.

Okay, now I'm interested. Another question - I am applying for a school administration job - assistant principalship.

Anything to worry about?

Katatonik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
Dallas, TX
1. It can if they're like Mauzey is referring to.
2. It could hurt in medical insurance issues. Some companies don't hire smokers at all, and some hire smokers with limited medical insurance. Depends on the company or (in your case) the school district/state laws. I don't know if medical insurance is based on tobacco use, or nicotine use. E-cigs are a little new and so I don't think the distinction has been thoroughly evaluated in terms of insurance coverage.

danielwd

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
From the input...the next question would be, if they do test for "continine", and a positive test shows, is there any way they can tell the distinction between a nonsmoker and a smoker. Is there any other chemical they look for that IS in tabacco that is of course NOT in e-liquid?

This would not be fair - to limit someone's insurance because they vape. Vaping and smoking are like apples and oranges!

Has anyone had the insurance offered to them limited, after being hired by a company, because of a positive "continine" test as a result of vaping? Or does anyone know of such a case.

Last edited:

Brutus Buckeye

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2010
Body in Knoxville, TN
www.facebook.com
I agree Daniel that it is unfair and I cringe every time I see one of these but at this time that is the only test they perform. Hopefully that will change in the future but who knows when. There was a similar post about this but cannot remember where and the OP said they had inquired to their insurance company and if they provided use of a PV then it would be OK, but I remain skeptical. There are other tests that could be used like Co2 but that is not done at this time.

Kobudo

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Evansville, IN
When I was just out of high school, I would simply chug a gallon of water before taking those tests, urinate once, the next one would be very diluted. It seems most companies don't pay to assure concentrations are high enough to be valid. Didn't fail either time I took those tests.

It seems a bit silly to discuss that due to presence of indicators of nicotine use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread