E-cigarette regulations may increase teen smoking (and help Big Tobacco)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
This is what really hits the 'save the children' line - their 'best' line and sometimes their only one:

“Conventional cigarette use has been falling somewhat steadily among this age group since the start of the 21st century. This paper shows that bans on e-cigarette sales to minors appear to have slowed this decline by about 70 percent in the states that implemented them,” said Abigail Friedman, assistant professor of public health and the study’s author. “In other words, as a result of these bans, more teenagers are using conventional cigarettes than otherwise would have done so.”

Another example of my 'gov't prism' theory - when an idea is run through government, it achieves 180° opposite of what it intends.

images

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
And that change in smoking rates resulted from age restrictions, which we know will only make it a little harder for teens to get their hands on vaping gear. If e-cigs were gone completely, or limited to really expensive worthless cigalikes, I have to guess that the change in smoking rates would be way bigger.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
And that change in smoking rates resulted from age restrictions, which we know will only make it a little harder for teens to get their hands on vaping gear. If e-cigs were gone completely, or limited to really expensive worthless cigalikes, I have to guess that the change in smoking rates would be way bigger.

I suppose one could say that is why there is a big target against that 12-17 yr old age group to not to start smoking by all the tobacco control groups - they know that can last a lifetime. And why they accuse tobacco companies as 'targeting kids'.

While Zeller 'understood' that ecigs might help some people - it was his 'renormalization' aspect by using nicotine in ecigs that presented him with the idea that ecigs could be a gateway to smoking.

Every study that shows that ecigs aren't a gateway, goes directly against that nicotine/renormalization idea and in fact bans/restrictions on ecigs against that age group may very well get exactly what he doesn't want.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
This is what really hits the 'save the children' line - their 'best' line and sometimes their only one:

“Conventional cigarette use has been falling somewhat steadily among this age group since the start of the 21st century. This paper shows that bans on e-cigarette sales to minors appear to have slowed this decline by about 70 percent in the states that implemented them,” said Abigail Friedman, assistant professor of public health and the study’s author. “In other words, as a result of these bans, more teenagers are using conventional cigarettes than otherwise would have done so.”

Another example of my 'gov't prism' theory - when an idea is run through government, it achieves 180° opposite of what it intends.

images

See! We told you there was a gateway effect. But you didn't listen. Kids try vaping, like vaping. We ban vaping, and now kids are smoking. We were right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread