E-smoking in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

markab

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Fortunately, as of now, Health Canada doesn't seem to be aware of, or at least is not actively investigating the potential implications of e-smoking. I've been e-smoking now for seventeen days. I've gone from 15-20 traditional cigs down to 0 (in the last 4 days). E-cigarettes offers me the best of both worlds. I can now finally get my nicotine fix through the act of "smoking" without inhaling any of the carcinogons and other noxious chemicals associatd with tabacco smoke, and I can do it in the comfort of my home. I'm now waiting anxiously for my bubble to burst. As e-smoking becomes more and more popular and spreads it's way into North America I fear it's just a matter of time before my government takes action to either ban or restrict its import. I decided last week to try and get a head start on any potential restrictions by ordering 200ml of e-liquid. And if I'm happy with the quality I'll order a couple of hundred ml more, along with extra batteries and atomizers. If e-smoking is working for you I would encourage you to do the same.

Regards,
Mark

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I've done the same, Mark. My order was delayed by Chinese New Year, but has shipped. Three varieties of e-Liquid and an injector gizmo. I think your fears are justified. I read yesterday how the restaurants and pubs in Europe have created very nice outdoor areas for smokers. In cold weather, heaters are fired up to keep the patios comfortable. And that fact now has the environmentalists up in arms. Those heaters are creating a huge carbon footprint, endangering the atmosphere, etc., ad nauseum. They want use of the heaters in gardens and patios outlawed! Owners have spent about $200 million because of the smoking bans to buy the heaters. Contractors have enjoyed a bonanza of work to put up patio roofs and now the aginners want even that banned. They want a ban on all smoking outside a private home. So it's not a stretch of the imagination to anticipate alarm when their hateful eyes turn on e-smoking devices. These deliver the Devil's Drug. These will hook children. These must be stopped.

Ah, but these have helped me stay off cigarettes for seven months. These aren't a nuisance to anyone. These, in fact, benefit the public good.

Just try to get hardliners to understand that. They'll have none of it, I bet.

Thus we must prepare for a kind of Nuclear Winter by securing sufficient supplies for personal needs. We need a new bumper sticker: They Can Have My E-Cig When They Pry My Cold, Dead Fingers Off It.

markab

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I've done the same, Mark. My order was delayed by Chinese New Year, but has shipped. Three varieties of e-Liquid and an injector gizmo.

>> Hi TB, I also had to wait out the Chinese New Year to place my order but I hope to have it by the end of the week. Did >>you order your supplies from e-cig by any chance? That's where I ordered from. I also ordered their e-liquid injector along >>with 25 empty cores and mouth peices. and I ordered an extra battery (I currently have two).

They want a ban on all smoking outside a private home. So it's not a stretch of the imagination to anticipate alarm when their hateful eyes turn on e-smoking devices. These deliver the Devil's Drug. These will hook children. These must be stopped.

>>Unfortunately because e-smoking looks so much like traditional smoking many people -at least initially- will be quick to >>put up a red flag, and assume it's some sort or "trick" gadget to make smoking socially acceptable again. What needs to >>be realized is that there now is finally a safe way for "smokers" to enjoy smoking, and the pleasures associated with it, >>without putting their health or the health of others around them at risk.

Ah, but these have helped me stay off cigarettes for seven months. These aren't a nuisance to anyone. These, in fact, benefit the public good.

>>Agreed, and hopefully others will see the potential here. You've been e-smoking much longer than I have. How would you >>characterize your first seven months? Have you had any problems with your atomizers, and if so which ones? What has >>your experience been with e-liquid and refilling cartridges?

Just try to get hardliners to understand that. They'll have none of it, I bet.

>>It's going to be a battle I'm sure.

Thus we must prepare for a kind of Nuclear Winter by securing sufficient supplies for personal needs.

>> I wonder how long it will be before we start see messages like, "My government has banned e-smoking supplies and I'm >> down to my last 10ml of e-liquid !!!"

Regards,
Mark

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Haven't been e-smoking seven months, Mark. Sorry if that was the impression. I've been off all cigarettes that long. At first, I did nothing -- and went crazy. Then I returned to morning and evening pipe smoking, something I've done off and on since my college years. That helped my crazies a great deal.

Last year, I quit cigs for a long time using Swedish snus. So I again ordered some. They helped, too, and I often keep one against my gums, even while e-smoking. In fact, I now use whatever the mood dictates, as long as it's not a cigarette. I've had an e-Pipe for a month and a half and an e-cigar about a month. Use both daily. They help a great deal. I suck on the pipe while working on the computer and take the e-cigar when I go out.

But I don't have ONE solution to nicotine cravings. I enjoy the variety, and, in fact, use nasal snuff and dissolvable tobacco bits when I feel like it. But the e-smoking products have been great.

Yes, I ordered my supplies from e-Cig, where I bought the pipe. Good service from them, too. I've had NO problems with either device. I think many so-called problems spring from misuse. The instructions I received with the e-cigar were entirely in Chinese!

markab

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Hi TB,
Thanks for the update. When you first ordered your pipe from e-cig did you order it with express shipping, and if so did you receive a courier tracking number from e-cig? I placed my order on the 13th. According to my account my order has been "processed" , my payment confirmed, and there is a message stating that my order will be shipped to me as soon as possible. However so far I have not received a courier tracking number as their site says I should? Hmmm hopefully it is on the way. I'm anxious to try out some of the other flavours, and I'm down to my last 14 cartridges . Thanks.

Regards,
Mark

Hi all! First post here. I just ordered my first e-cigarette and can't wait to try it.

For the legal question in Canada, I don't think we have to worry right now. There is 3 possibilities :

1-esmoking will be considered like smoking. Heavy taxes, same restriction (no indoor smoking, can't smkoke in non-smoke area)

2-e-smoking will be considered like cigarette/tobaco replacement (like spit tobaco). Taxes, but not forbidded anywhere

3-e-smoking will be considered like a quitting device. In canada, Nicorette and nicotine patch are available without any doctor prescription, but you can ask for one if you want to be refunded. If e-smoking fall under this categories, devices and cartridge may be only available in drug store.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I surely don't know how Canada will look at it, but ...

What we have today is an unregulated drug delivery device being sold at low cost to anyone over the Internet, a device that uses highly poisonous liquid sent by parcel post in leaky glass vials, a device made in China by companies that defraud customs with phony content invoices and value declarations, a device with a single purpose -- sustaining an addiction in the addicted or creating an addiction in the curious.

Do you see Canada welcoming that device to the marketplace?

NerdyCinderella

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2008
Gotham City
TropicalBob said:
.....What we have today is an unregulated drug delivery device being sold at low cost to anyone over the Internet, a device that uses highly poisonous liquid sent by parcel post or mail in leaky glass vials, a device made in China by companies that defraud customs with phony invoices, a device with a single purpose -- sustaining an addiction in the addicted or creating an addiction in the curious.....
mouse_quiet_shh_sm_clr.gif

sanneke

Moved On
May 28, 2008
USA
TropicalBob said:

What we have today is an unregulated drug delivery device being sold at low cost to anyone over the Internet, a device that uses highly poisonous liquid sent by parcel post in leaky glass vials, a device made in China by companies that defraud customs with phony content invoices and value declarations, a device with a single purpose -- sustaining an addiction in the addicted or creating an addiction in the curious.

This post truly is scary to me.
I'm serious........

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
sanneke said:
TropicalBob said:

This post truly is scary to me.
I'm serious........

Yeah, TB's good at that. :lol:

Silver

ɹǝʌןıs
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2008
New Zealand
Hi TropicalBob,

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think that the Propylene Glycol, the main ingredient in E-cigarette cartridges (and I assume in E-liquid as well), is highly poisonous ?

This is what Wikipedia has to say about it : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol.

Also, have you had a chance to look at the research done on the Ruyan E-cigarette and cartridges by Professor Murray Laugesen in New Zealand yet ? Not sure if it has already been mentioned here before (my apologies if it has) but you can find the report here : http://www.healthnz.co.nz/2ndSafetyReport_9Apr08.pdf.

Cheers,
Silver

PS Or should I not be taking your post so literally :mrgreen: ?

Silver

ɹǝʌןıs
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2008
New Zealand
Oh dear, I was obviously far too quick off the mark ! Sensitive about E-smoking I guess eh :lol: ?

Can't help it, it's just been such a positive influence since it came into my life just a few months ago. I realised the other day that at some point in time, I'm not even sure exactly when ( :eek: :shock: :!: ), I completely quit smoking regular cigarettes altogether !

Needless to say, what shocked me most was not so much that I'd quit (which is great of course), but that I hadn't even realised that it had happened ! I never would have believed it to be possible if someone had told me that before I came into contact with the E-cigarette !

In the meantime I've spent some time reading up on the forum (haven't been on here in a while) and understand the context of the post a bit better now. My bad :oops:, I guess I should have done that first, sincere apologies !

Cheers,
Silver :oops:

It will all depend of HOW the device is announced I think. If companies focusses more on the fact that it doesn't cause cancer, HealthCanada MAY accept it. A drug which cause dependencies, that don't kill people and that can be highly taxes... a good ammount of money for the country. Accepting the device will also saves life from actual smoker that changer to e-smoking.

And, we must not forgot, event if it become illegal, Canada custums (via regular parcel) don't event check 10% of the stock that have in hand. I ordered number of sword/electronic devices/computer/etc. and the box still had the original sticker on it, meaning it havan't been openned, so we will still be able to order from China and other countries.... ;)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I was referring to the nicotine, yes. There have been numerous past posts on the poisonous nature of what's in that little vial.

I've not only read the reports from New Zealand, but interviewed the author, Dr. Murray Laugesen, as well as others doing research around the world. I'm a writer and recently completed a 4,000-word article on e-smoking -- all sides of e-smoking. I think it offers the greatest opportunity to extend human lives of anything available today. I think it's a major health advance. I practice it daily. But I think it will face furious opposition from do-gooders and has a good prospect of being banned in many countries.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
If it doesn't find a buyer soon, I will link to it. It takes about 20 minutes to read and I do quote virtually every known e-smoking researcher on the planet. Can't post it before it publishes or I kill my sale possibilities. I did let Dr. Loi read it for accuracy, however, and I do quote him at length in the article. If Ruyan makes a big announcement, I'll have to do Revision 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread