Ear pains. Clogged ears. Pressure. Titunitis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Safsouf

Oct 27, 2019
Hello all.

2 years ago I tried vaping and it was a miracle life saver. Thing went great. I was feeling amazing. Energized. Started hitting the gym lost a lot of weight and was healthier. But then I developed this killer ear pain. Ears feeling clogged and pressure. Went to see a ENT he couldnt find anything wrong. I figured it was vaping. I did some reading online and turns out PG is toxic for your ear.

If you didnt know. Ears throat and nose are all connected. The PG enters your eustachian tubes and that's when the pain starts.

I have given vaping another try. This time 100% VG e liquid with organic flavoring.

You can try kind juice, kai virgin vapors and others.

But be carefull some claim to be organic and MAX VG, but still contain some pg.

If you have this issue, I strongly suggest you give this a try. It's working for me at the moment. Will update this post if ear aches come back.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It's well known that some people are PG sensitive, and the symptoms vary.

Conversely, there are also people who do not tolerate high VG liquids well. It gives them a heavy feeling in the lungs and makes them produce a lot of mucous.

The beauty of open-system vaping is that it allows people to use liquids that work for them.

Last edited:

*RJ*

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2015
Vaping since 8/9/2012
Hello all.

2 years ago I tried vaping and it was a miracle life saver. Thing went great. I was feeling amazing. Energized. Started hitting the gym lost a lot of weight and was healthier. But then I developed this killer ear pain. Ears feeling clogged and pressure. Went to see a ENT he couldnt find anything wrong. I figured it was vaping. I did some reading online and turns out PG is toxic for your ear.

If you didnt know. Ears throat and nose are all connected. The PG enters your eustachian tubes and that's when the pain starts.

I have given vaping another try. This time 100% VG e liquid with organic flavoring.

You can try kind juice, kai virgin vapors and others.

But be carefull some claim to be organic and MAX VG, but still contain some pg.

If you have this issue, I strongly suggest you give this a try. It's working for me at the moment. Will update this post if ear aches come back.
I have had a clogged Eustachian tube in my right ear lately but I’m 100% vg or close to it. I kind of attributed it to vaping although I’ve been vaping since 2012 with no issues. Upon further reading, clogged tubes can be associated with allergies. I developed seasonal allergies this spring and never had them before. So when I take my allergy medicine my ear gets better. Antihistamine nose spray is also supposed to help clogged tubes. Good luck and welcome!

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
fiddleshe it's not that bizarre. Your ears throat and nose are all connected. If you just do a simple google search :vaping ear pain. Seems to be an issue with lots of people. I'm just trying to help
Not saying it is. Just sayin that if you exhale through your nose your forcing more vapor up your eustacian tubes.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I already have tinnitus from playing in bands for 40yrs.
Too much nicotine really ramps it up, no PG needed, I cant and dont use PG. I only use VG and distilled water.
The feeling of pressure can also be an affect of too much nic, I experienced it using patches. I used patches that were too higher dosage compared to the lower and more controlled dosage I was used to using cigarettes.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Had similar history; just sharing what now works flawlessly for me. And yes, PG did a lot of funny things to; as described up "canker sores". Now use all VG with 18-20% distilled water. Also suggest the cigar approach; pull into your throat, hold, and exhale (train yourself until second nature). Most absorption is in the mouth anyway and don't really want in your lungs. If you need a boost, french exhale (i.e. out the nose). If you vape VG heavily, you may notice some bothersome "build-up". I added daily Neilmed nasal wash -- and Bob's your uncle.

Don't know if you might also have allergies like pollen, trees, grass, etc. but I do. If so, pay particular attention to any juice that leaves you stuffy, sneezing, etc. I noted particularly issue with flavors like chai (tea), cardamom, cedar, derived tobaccos, etc.; things that seem derived from organic sources.

I can share additional specifics if relevant for you. GL

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Whelp, PG doesn't agree with you. Me neither. When I vape over about 10% I get this feeling of pins and needles in my throat and chest. It's unpleasant. I'm not allergic per se, just sort of sensitive to it.

This is a very good point about closed systems. If all that was available was the Juul et al, I couldn't vape them, even if I wanted to.

You can dilute your VG to up to about 5% water, if you so desire. Too much more, it doesn't do so well. I found that to be better for me but I am a MTL vaper.

Then I was informed about PEG400 so now I use that in my DIY in place of VG. It's a flavor carrier like VG. I found my mixes improved and it's not as thin as PG but it is less viscous than VG. I get mine from Nicotine River.

Everything I read made me feel perfectly confident about it and it was recommended by a member I totally trust, but I always say do your due diligence before moving forward. I'm happy it's available I tend to find all VG liquids a bit muddy tasting. However, I am VERY glad you found a solution to your vaping issue.

I think some of these sensitivities can develop over time. When I dual used intermittently prior to going entirely to vaping, well, I did just fine. It wasn't until a little bit after I switched completely. To be fair, by the time I switched, I was also really ill and nearing a COPD diagnosis.

Haven't tried PG lately, but I kind of don't feel the need.
Good luck!
Anna

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Hi. I dont have any allergies or ever had any issues with my ears. This happened to me strictly due to vaping and I am 100% sure.

I tried a bunch if e juices and the only ones that dont cause it is 100% VG with 0% PG. Not even in the flavors. No PG WHATSOEVER.

Glad you found a solution. Some people can't get along with vaping at all.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
It's well known that some people are PG sensitive, and the symptoms vary.

Conversely, there are also people who do not tolerate high VG liquids well. It gives them a heavy feeling in the lungs and makes them produce a lot of mucous.

The beauty of open-system vaping is that it allows people to use liquids that work for them.
You know I never considered that aspect of open systems but that is spot-on. I seem to have very little to no reaction no matter what the percentages of VG and PG are I don't think I've ever went any higher PG than 50% but I bet there are a lot of people that are sensitive to one or the other. There's also people that are sensitive to different metals and if you have closed systems you're going to have people who have no option what a shame I didn't even think of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread