The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Easy Battery Charge Level Reminder

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by nanovapr, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. nanovapr

nanovapr Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 15, 2011
    Catatonic State, USA
    I searched and searched for all the various methods of labeling, and indicating which is what. I am a newbie, and have been keeping several batts in charging rotation. At first, a simple Sharpie numbering on the bottom worked. It worked for about a week, as the batts are all stainless, and it rubs off quickly. Set a few down, take the atty/carto off.... woops, which one was that?

I have seen several mention of orthodontist rubber bands, or a rubber band assortment for ponytails for identifying carts/attys.

I could not think of a color scheme that was not a hassle to indicate very approximate battery stage. Then the simplest way seemed the best way. I put a little rubber band on it of any color, and leave the same one on (no digging through looking for 'the last green one').

I slide it up near the connector when it comes off the charger. If I take it out of use for any reason, I slide the rubber band down very approximately on how much I have used it--> "5 hours @ work, it's not the hottest, but still good, I'll slide it down halfway".

This way you can glance at a handful of batts, and see which ones need to go on the charger(s) next. They are tight enough that they won't slide at random, and I carry a big-batt PV in a front jeans pocket while walking around.

Again, this is very approximate, but it is easy...

2. Gristle

Gristle Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 13, 2011
    Kentucky
    I don't understand. Why not just put a battery you've been using on the charger and start using a fresh one? Why would you keep using batteries that are partially charged? The Li-ion batts like to stay charged and have better life if you keep them topped off.

3. nanovapr

nanovapr Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 15, 2011
    Catatonic State, USA
    Sometimes I am rotating batteries when I am away from a charger. Ones that get used get popped back on the charger(s) as soon as I'm back. This makes it easier for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.