The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

eGo battery going bad?

Discussion in 'Battery Issues' started by ebonyknight, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ebonyknight

ebonyknight Full Member ECF Veteran

Dec 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I have about three eGo batteries. They don't seem to hold a charge long any more and one of them when I take a long drag, it will blink twice and stop. I know it's supposed to do that, but I don't think I have ever seen it just blink twice while letting go, so I can drag again. What I mean is normally I can take a drag, it blinks, I press the button again and can do cycles like that. Now when I do it, it blinks, I release it and try again. Almost a second later it blinks again, instead of about 5 seconds.

Is this a sign to replace the battery? I think I have had it about a year, using it constantly.

2. mwa102464

mwa102464 Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Check your charger as well, the chargers have also been known to go wacky, it could just be that, I have had Ego Batts now that have lasted me 2 years or ever since they have first came out that are still working, I also have had ones that lasted a month and went bad from getting them to hot with LR Atty's. Bottom line is ya it could be time to replace them but check your charger or get another one just to make sure.

3. ebonyknight

Dec 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Is there any way to tell if my PCC is going bad? I think I only got a a few months ago in February. The oldest of my eGo batteries is almost a year.

4. Richie G

Richie G Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 15, 2009
    Lawn Guyland, NY
    It's been said often here but... a multimeter is your vaping friend. With a meter, one could determine if the charger is no longer outputting the proper voltage and/or if the battery is FTD (fixing to die). Also, if an atomizer's resistance starts to drop it will wreak havoc on a battery.

All that said...

After a year, there's every chance your batteries have lived out their usefulness.

5. ebonyknight

Dec 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Also, I think I will try a passthru. What is the difference between the 1000 and 650? More 'power', or just longer battery life? I assume my existing attys are fine with the 1000?

6. ebonyknight

Dec 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I have a meter, how do I test them, IE place the probes? Where on the batteries and where on the ego PCC? I assume you mean a multimeter?

7. mwa102464

I agree the meter is you friend and a good thing to use to check this, However, you could take a reading from the charger with the meter and get a good reading, then once you plug in the batt and it starts to charge the PCC could be faulty and you wouldnt ever know, do what I said and get yourself one of the wall chargers for your Ego, your gonna need one anyway if you dont have one so grab one they are very cheap and usually work better then a pcc to charge Batts. Batts do however need to be replaced they are like any other battery so it could be the batt as well, but like I said I have some original Egos that where purchased apon the introduction days of the Ego that are still working fine so it very well could be your PCC there where lots of funky PCC units out there and still are as far as I'm concerned, get one of the wall chargers with the usb batt connection wire that plugs into the wall charger, this is your best charge system, you should have one anyway or will need one if your gonna stick with Ego's, this will tell you is your Batt is good or bad, I would also be careful using that PCC if its bad it could be destroying your current batt and why it's acting up ! Just my opinion !

8. mwa102464

Red on the center pin of the Batt, black on the outside threads then push the button, if you get anywhere from 3.4-3.7 your Batt is probably still good and it is your charger!

9. mwa102464

When you plug your Batt into the PCC does the Batt blink and the light on the PCC turn red ? then after it is on the charger for a long time the light on the pcc turn green ? even if it does this it also doesnt mean the PCC is working properly though. I still say your best bet is to have a wall charger with the usb wire to the batt charger and try charging you Batt with this set up !

10. ebonyknight

Dec 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Yes, everything appears to work fine, it just seems that it won't hold a charge very long. How long should it take to charge a battery? I never really checked before, because the life of the battery seemed longer than I needed to note. Now it seems like I puff on it for an hour and it blinks discharged.

Maybe it's the PCC. I rotate three of them and I can't seem to keep them charged for any length of time anymore. I like the pcc, but if they are going to fail after three months........

11. ebonyknight

Dec 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Also, I think I will try a passthru. What is the difference between the 1000 and 650? More 'power', or just longer battery life? I assume my existing attys are fine with the 1000?

12. mwa102464

Neither power nor battery life, the only difference is mAh = How long of a charge you will get per charge ! The 1000 is a very good Batt and your better off with this 1000 over the 650 !

13. kj4lxw

kj4lxw Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 8, 2010
    Pinellas, FL
    Shortened life span out of a battery, any rechargeable battery, is usually a sign of it nearing the end of its life. getting a year out of a rechargeable is pretty good and one must consider they have gotten their money's worth out of it by then.
    Definately must get a wall charger.
    Also consider using a q-tip and alcohol to clean all connections on PCC and batts in meantime. Sometimes build up can affect performance. Always clean off end of batts before attaching to recharge.
    Good luck.

14. Bdbodger

Bdbodger Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Keep the old battery for around the house where it won't matter so much and put your good batteries on the charger before bedtime so in the morning you have the best of the bunch charged and ready to go . If you have enough batteries then just get rid of older ones that don't hold a charge as well anymore . Don't get attached to a battery or atomizer or any of your other ecig equipment go new and fresh . You will be more satisfied that way .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.