ego-c battery died while testing with multimeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayday123

Feb 19, 2012
buffalo
Hello, i just finished charging my ego-c battery (650mah) and i went to test it on my multimeter and my light flashed blue like when i turn it on or off and then went dead, Did i drain the battery when i tested it? so i went to go charge it to see if that would work, probably not a smart move, but it worked after the charge, battery was not hot and no smell of any kind, but now im afraid to use it, does anyone have any insight on A:why this would happen, B: is it safe to use and C: where i could find out if it is safe.

PS; i tested it on the ohm setting of my multimeter, 200 setting, thats how i was shown to test cartomizers, i should of looked it up before i tested it

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Hello, i just finished charging my ego-c battery (650mah) and i went to test it on my multimeter and my light flashed blue like when i turn it on or off and then went dead, Did i drain the battery when i tested it? so i went to go charge it to see if that would work, probably not a smart move, but it worked after the charge, battery was not hot and no smell of any kind, but now im afraid to use it, does anyone have any insight on A:why this would happen, B: is it safe to use and C: where i could find out if it is safe.

PS; i tested it on the ohm setting of my multimeter, 200 setting, thats how i was shown to test cartomizers, i should of looked it up before i tested it

Just as an FYI, I had a similar experience with my joyetech eGo-C 650mAh batteries and a bad atomizer. After using the atomizer for about 2 days, the battery appears to be completely dead and it would not respond to the 5 click on/off. Attaching another battery to that atomizer did the same thing. I read a post online somewhere that this happened to someone else and simply attaching the battery to the charger "reset" the battery, so that's what I did and it worked. Both batteries have been charging and working fine since then and I've trashed the atty that was causing the issue.

I'm not sure if this is part of the safety features of the battery since it's not documented, but it would make sense that a short would stop the battery from operating at all until reset.

DaTank

Verified Member
Nov 12, 2011
United States

The ohm setting of 200 is just to properly scale the reading; it does not change the internal resistance of the meter.

Many meters I used have had a internal resistance of 50mOhm. V=I*R, which means you tried to draw a LOT of current out of the battery at once (75 amps at 3.7 volts). The battery probably could not supply it and was damaged, or the internal circuitry was damaged.

In order for a 280mAh battery to supply that amperage, it would need to have a C rating of 270 :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread