Ego C Dry Hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
Im hoping someone here can help me. I recieved an ego-c yesterday and its fantastic except for one huge problem. It seems that the atty isnt wicking juice the way it should. I keep getting hard nasty dry hits.

Now ive read the forums and tried setting the wicm with a paperclip. Ive also cleaned all the connections. Ive checked to make sure the hole is punched at the end of the tank and even removed the leftover tab. I alsi foind a diagram some people said would help to produce better airflow for either thin or thicm juices and have set it that way.

The only thing that seemz to work is pulling out the tank and putting it back in. I can hit it maybe four or five times and then i get dry hits again. Pull out the tank and put it back in, its okay. Rinse repeat.

Is there a way to correct this im not aware of or something im doing wrong?

When it hits right its awesome. When it doesnt i feel like im gonna die. Any help is appreciated.

Malduk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Croatia
I'd still bet on liquid thickness being the issue. Try at least 50-50 PG/VG, or better yet as lot of people would suggest 70/30 PG/VG. If you want to use pure VG, you really need to thin it with dw. And yes, I know you already said you did, but try it with clean atomizer again. The ONLY time I had issues with dry hit was when my liquid was too thick. The way ego-c atty works simply isn't working well with thick liquids.
Caps shouldn't make any difference. I'm also using hard caps.

F_Munson

Jan 9, 2012
NL, Canada
I vape 100% VG on the C all the time. I prefer the hard caps and have more issues with the soft caps so I don't think that's your problem. It doesn't hurt to keep the cone and atty base clean. I rinse both between tanks ( not the atty, cone and base, just being hyper clear :)) Here are my main tricks for VG with the C, these are collected from many users here on ECF:
1. Drip a tiny amount of juice on the atty spike before you assemble the cone.
2. After you insert the tank into the cone, making sure there is no gap between cone and tank, twist the tank 360° once or even twice. I hold on to the cone/atty base to do this, not the battery. You don't want to over-tighten anything threaded.
3. Give it a couple off hard draws without firing the button.
4. Learn to use a fairly light draw on the C when you do fire her up.
5. Keep the Ego tipped slightly downward, gravity is you friend in this case.
6. You can thin VG by letting it sit in very hot water for 20 minutes and then shaking the s#^t outta it. It should retain its 'new' viscosity. I usually do this with a 10ml bottle so I don't feck up my whole supply :))
7. Get a vision stardust clearomizer

Hope this helps, 1 or all of these may be your culprit and you may find yourself forced to try some VG/PG mixes. I find the eGo C works great about 90% of the time, I switch tanks quite a bit and keep the whole gizmo pretty clean.

Last edited:

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
Ty Munson and Malduk. So Munson, Ive been actually doing most of what you suggested aside from heating up my vg a little in its bottle before use. I think ill try that trick as well to see if it helps.

In regard to the juice being too thick. I mixed up some plain pg/vg to 70/30. I power vaped through an entire tank without one dry hit, including all but the last step above of pre heating the mix. So the amount of dw i probably added before to thin out my 100% vg likely wasnt enough.

The question i have now is how much dw would i add to say a 10ml bottle of 100% vg excluding things such as flavoring or sweetener in that mix to make it thin enough? I really do not want to vape pg at all.

F_Munson

Jan 9, 2012
NL, Canada
Yep Munson thats the post i viewed last night with the diagram of the way to seat the atomizer and tank. Tried alot of what that thread said before I posted here.

I have no problem thinning my vg but im still wondering what kind of ratio to use to make it thin enough.

I was impressed with the heating/shaking method. Oddly, since your post I've been having issues with my fav VG liquid but only on the LR atomizer heads, go figure. I've also noticed there are small differences with the tanks; the newer tanks are already punctured while some I've purchased won't puncture as readily as others. I guess I have to wait until all the older type disappear from stock.

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
I only have the SR that came with the kit. Oddly I got seven attys not five. I spoke with the chinese manufacturer i purchased the ego-c kit from late last night. They said that the ego c (at least theirs i assume) is not designed to work solely with 100% vg liquids and that the ohms of the battery needed to be higher to handle 100% vg.

Now im not sure what that means. My understanding of batterys is a) higher voltage is better for some juices than others. My local juice supplier swears by 5 volts. And b) the higher the mah the more capacity the battery has???

My electrical knowledge is fairly limited. Its kind of all greek to me... lol.

However maybe the above is why some thick 100% vg juices have issues? How would omhs effect it?

On a side note im still wondering how much dw i would add to say a 10ml batch to make 100% vg thin enough without ruining it to the point where it would leak.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I was impressed with the heating/shaking method. Oddly, since your post I've been having issues with my fav VG liquid but only on the LR atomizer heads, go figure. I've also noticed there are small differences with the tanks; the newer tanks are already punctured while some I've purchased won't puncture as readily as others. I guess I have to wait until all the older type disappear from stock.

I only have the SR that came with the kit. Oddly I got seven attys not five. I spoke with the chinese manufacturer i purchased the ego-c kit from late last night. They said that the ego c (at least theirs i assume) is not designed to work solely with 100% vg liquids and that the ohms of the battery needed to be higher to handle 100% vg.

Now im not sure what that means. My understanding of batterys is a) higher voltage is better for some juices than others. My local juice supplier swears by 5 volts. And b) the higher the mah the more capacity the battery has???

My electrical knowledge is fairly limited. Its kind of all greek to me... lol.

However maybe the above is why some thick 100% vg juices have issues? How would omhs effect it?

On a side note im still wondering how much dw i would add to say a 10ml batch to make 100% vg thin enough without ruining it to the point where it would leak.
The major problem folks have with wicking is either the wick is sitting to high in the spike but most often as it has been said it is the liquid. As all VG is not created equal, being a 100% VG vaper myself, all my liquids are diluted with DW 15-20% and I have no issues with the tank systems I have used.

For folks that use VG in their mixes and DIY dilute your VG 15-20% and you will be amazed at the results. Tanks and cartos were designed to operate using PG, or 20% VG with 30% being the highest we should go. In higher concentrations then folks should learn not to power hit their PVs, 5 toots in a row is power hitting.

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
So I wanted to report back on what ive found with the various suggetions I recieved and a bit of testing the last several days.

It seems my dry hitting issues are resolved. Not just with the ego-c, but also my new ego-w. It was definitely a problem with the vg being to thick that it would not wick properly.

Now after setting the wick down a bit, adjusting for airflows, etc and thinning out my liquids with distilled water at about 10-15% I had zero dry hits.

Then i came across another issue. In diy eliquid i read that slightly warming your creations for about 20 mins helps aid the steeping process for the liquid, and imo it definitely does.

However this also reminded me that earlier in this thread the idea of heating the thick vg would also make it flow better, and that does indeed work. Hence.... why my new batches of diy liquids were now leaking from my tanks. I was still diluting with dw before heating my diy liquid. It made it too runny. So heres what i did.

I made my non flavored 100%vg base and added 5% dw to the entire mix. I did not heat this or warm it. Just shook it well.
_
I then added flavoring and whatever else i needed, omitting any more distilled water. I simply heated my liquid for about 20 minutes in a cup of hot tap water. Dropped the test rube in to the cup. (I use my kids chemistry set... hell he never used it... lol).

It wicks fine in both my tanks and also my ego-w clearomizer, and it barely leaks. It needs a lil more fine tinkng but it works.

For purchased liquid thin it with 5% dw. However try warming it first. Adjust as necessary. For diy mixes 3-5% dw added to your 100% vg base is enough if you heat or warm yor creation. Try it and let me know what you find.

Last edited:

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
Well yes, I should say account for variations. Although im not working with pg at all. Ive learned that you can develop an "eye" for the thickness of your liquids and can adjust as necessary. As a base for diy, Ive been working with completely undiluted 100% vg.

Heating isnt reliable unless its controlled, thats true. Im just using the hottest tap water i have and dropping my test tube filled with eliquid into a coffee cup and letting it sit for ten mins and then changing the water and back in for another ten. Its been working really well for me.

Ive found all the problems with dry hits eliminated at this point. I guess the trouble is finding the right viscosity for all vg in ego-c, and the ego-w. And they seem to want the same viscosity, at least from my experience over the last week.

If the tips and advice here can serve as a guide or starting point and help anyone else then at least ive (along with the others here) been able to give something back to the community that has helped me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread