eGo/EVOD confusion ...and evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToutC

Jul 9, 2016
Hi folks, I'm a newbie from Germany (= six years behind in vaping, but not vapo-politicking, oh no). The e-cig or "e-shisha" has only recently entered public conciousness over here, as a side effect of fearmongering over its health effects. So as a long-time smoker, I absolutely had to get one.

Most starter kits over here are sold as eGo/EVOD, and I'd like to know what's what.

As to all ancient history that I missed, the Wikipedia article is pretty clear who invented the eGo series, but they left out the 510/Kanger(?) affair, if it's Kanger that they left out.
-- Did Kanger(tech) invent the term "EVOD", and what does it stand for - electric voiding device odd design? ...if anything? What are its features?
-- Who invented the 510 threading, and is it older/younger than eGo, or does eGo mean both inner + outer (510) thread? Is/was there a purely inner-thread eGo device?

Everybody always tries to sell you things, almost nowhere do I find decent info on their history/evolution (with pictures, please). The Wikipedia article reads like after the Zeppelin age of "e-cigars" the slim cigarette-lookalikes came first (510 thread = ~ 7mm), but these are rather underpowered affairs and the 14500-sized eGos followed.

eGo-EVOD.png

Sideline question:
-- Who introduced the five-click safety feature and the blinkenlights (charge status indicator)?

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I could try and tell you what I *remember* but it would take too long.
BUT
Yes... as far as I know, Kanger invented the word EVOD and it started with a tank (clearomiser). Then they sold EVOD kits with an eGo battery and that's how that started.
The evod battery is mis-named, as it's just an eGo battery.
510 has been around quite a long time. It's been there and been getting more 'regular' than anything else. There were clearomizers that looked like eGo fit, but they were just 510's in disguise with a skirt.
These days, 510 is THE only sensible option. You can use eGo thread (what is left) with an adapter.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
It's ironic how larger mods & atomizers use puny 510 threading...

View attachment 576387

... while an eGo would probably break at the battery cover, not the battery/atomizer junction.

I agree. The stability of the eGo thread was better, in a way.
Still doesn't solve the issue of non-connection to the 510 pin on the mod/battery.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
Just get an iStick30 and a decent tank with 510 threads....you will be much better off than you would with the Ego/Evod (although that's what I started with). Forget about who invented the 5-click and all that stuff...ancient history.

If you cannot get it locally, can you order from outside Germany? If so, go to fasttech.com and start browsing the "ecigarette" section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread