eGo ONE tank series – CLR coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
I have some 26g SS 316L wire but don't think I've even tried it yet. Is SS wire good for tootle puffing or generally used for TC?

yea-man // I love the SS wire

it seems tuffer, easier to work with
for me it lasts very long and seems to retain a fresh taste and comes pretty clean with a dry-burn
not sure if it is just in my mind, but SS seems to have a cleaner taste...

I have lots of kanthal rolls around that need used up, every once in awhile I roll a kanthal and maybe (maybe) it tastes of lesser quality :unsure::blink::unsure:

then there is the SS goes both ways thing <<watts mode>> & <<TEMP CONTROL MODE>>

for me; to make that thick gauge wire work/heat you have to crank the watts up more than I LIKE
28g is about pushing it for me, I think 30g SS316L is my 'go to' wire of choice...

easy enuff to test - make some coils of similar Ω (26g, 28g, 30g) and just dry burn them each on a different mod
watch the reaction time at say: 9w and then again at say 15w (be careful not to melt stuff)
that's enuff to assemble a 'tootle' formula in my mind -- 5wraps 30g @ 10w is a ballpark baseline

I like what and how I build, consistence for me is the key -- just do it again & again & again & again & again & again... :D

upload_2016-12-2_2-12-17.png

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I have been having trouble with the coils wicking. Get a harsh, burnt vape every once in while after using a coil
for a couple of days. I use kanthal with rayon. It was driving me nuts!
Finally decided to try some different approaches to getting the wick to soak that juice up.
First test was with the current wick I had been having trouble with, decided to push the wick into
the coil body...I know, sounds like a bad joke. Futzed with the wick until it was all in the coil body on
both sides. Put it back together and fired it up. Worked great! Raised the watts from 14 to 20 to see if
I could get it to vape ahead of the wicking...kept vaping nicely! But it was too warm for me.
Rolled a new coil to try it again, works great for the second time.
Here's what I did to the wick:
View attachment 618177
I trimmed as close as possible to the body and then pushed the wicking inside the coil body.
Here's what it looks like with the cap on:
View attachment 618179
Thought I would throw this out there and see if any other recoilers have the same experience with pushing their wick into the coil body. :D
'Cause a wet wick makes for a happy Vaper!:thumbs:

I'm still on my first builds with the CLRs. Had read or seen a video that said to keep the wicks as short as possible so this makes sense to me. Can't get any shorter than that.
May give it a try with my cotton.

The coil in your pic looks interesting. Can only see one end but it looks kinda conical or funnel shaped? (smaller ID in the middle and larger at the end? Is that intentional? If so what are you wrapping on? Or is it just camera angle illusion?

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
I'm still on my first builds with the CLRs. Had read or seen a video that said to keep the wicks as short as possible so this makes sense to me. Can't get any shorter than that.
May give it a try with my cotton.

The coil in your pic looks interesting. Can only see one end but it looks kinda conical or funnel shaped? (smaller ID in the middle and larger at the end? Is that intentional? If so what are you wrapping on? Or is it just camera angle illusion?
Sloppy coiling on my part most likely. I use a small screw driver that just fits the opening in the base.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
I wrap on a 3mm or 2.5mm, then transfer to a 'red plastic' Q-Tip

then I screw UP the juice ring - insert coil/red Qtip and screw ON the cap,
pinching the whole shootin-match together...

I finish assembly, clip wire legs, remove cap & red Qtip, screw juice ring back down, test Ω, then dry-burn (takes longer to type it than do it)

>I think that is the nature of the beast once you 'sqweeze' the cotton inside the wire coil, the ends tend to 'fluff' up some... (conical)
upload_2016-12-2_15-26-47.png

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I have been having trouble with the coils wicking. Get a harsh, burnt vape every once in while after using a coil
for a couple of days. I use kanthal with rayon. It was driving me nuts!
Finally decided to try some different approaches to getting the wick to soak that juice up.
First test was with the current wick I had been having trouble with, decided to push the wick into
the coil body...I know, sounds like a bad joke. Futzed with the wick until it was all in the coil body on
both sides. Put it back together and fired it up. Worked great! Raised the watts from 14 to 20 to see if
I could get it to vape ahead of the wicking...kept vaping nicely! But it was too warm for me.
Rolled a new coil to try it again, works great for the second time.
Here's what I did to the wick:
View attachment 618177
I trimmed as close as possible to the body and then pushed the wicking inside the coil body.
Here's what it looks like with the cap on:
View attachment 618179
Thought I would throw this out there and see if any other recoilers have the same experience with pushing their wick into the coil body. :D
'Cause a wet wick makes for a happy Vaper!:thumbs:

Hey Cheech! Been awhile, sweetie.

Nice wick trick. I shall keep it in mind for the RARE times I need to do ANYTHING to these precious sweet flavorful awesome delightful coils!

Detroit Doug

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Detroit
Good morning EgoManiacs! My Fasttech order of 5 Ego One Megas (V1) have arrived in town, and should be here today. That should be the last of my stock up orders. I know, I know, how many times has that been said..lol. I'll rephrase that. The last of my Ego / CLR orders. That will put me at 8 Megas, 4 Trons, and 9 packs of CLR coils.

I had no idea a CLR would last through as many rebuilds as it does. I'm still rebuilding the same one I started with, almost a year ago, and it's still going strong. I started stocking up on the CLRs once I realized how well they work. Whenever I ordered something from FT, I had them toss in a couple of packs. Almost a year later, and I'm still on the first on..Whoda' thunk?

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I had no idea a CLR would last through as many rebuilds as it does. I'm still rebuilding the same one I started with, almost a year ago, and it's still going strong. I started stocking up on the CLRs once I realized how well they work. Whenever I ordered something from FT, I had them toss in a couple of packs. Almost a year later, and I'm still on the first on..Whoda' thunk?

This is what I've been wanting to hear. I'm on my first CLR builds and wondering how long the insulators will last. Been thinking of going to nr-r-nr wires to avoid heat damage to the insulators. Can I assume your using regular resistance wire? With this sort of longevity I'll just stay with normal wire. Thanks for the info.

Nanny22

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2014
Michigan
Hey @Detroit Doug ! Sounds like you've got it covered, my Detroit friend! My husband and I have been running around 5 Ego One tanks each for at least 6 months now, maybe more.
We've only set aside ONE coil for recoiling. All the rest have just been rewicked. Granted, we are Tootle Puffing at under 15 watts - still a great testament.
And, for everyone else, Cheech's "tail-tucking" trick from yesterday is working for me. I think I am guilty of not using enough rayon when I re-wick, so tucking those tails in to the coil body is giving me a little better experience. Thumbs up to my buddy Cheech!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread