eGo type charger question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

apuck

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2012
Washington State
I have two USB type chargers one is for an eGo knockoff, and the other for a Riva.

Here is the label from the back of each:

Knockoff
Model: USB-A
Input: DC 5V
Output: DC 4.2V (weird symbol here with four dashed lines with a long line over them) 420mA

Riva
Model: USB-QR
Input: DC 5V
Output: DC 4.2V (same symbol thing as above, except with three dashed lines instead of the four) 420mA

Now my questions, are these interchangeable (I'm assuming they would be)? If so why does it say in the instructions to use only the charger that came with the kit? I also read somewhere you aren't supposed to use these chargers plugged into your PC, am I supposed to plug them into my USB toaster, or perhaps my USB lawn mower??? I have AC adapters for both but I had another charger plugged in to an AC adapter and was charging a battery when it caught on fire, so I've avoided the AC thing since.

moondragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
I don't have an answer, but I don't think this is a dumb question, either. Before I started all this, and before I started reading things here about batteries, i would have said that they should be interchangeable, and that there shouldn't be any problem plugging them into your PC. But, it seems the more I read here, the more unsure I get about batteries and charging them.:) A rechargeable battery catching fire while charging never occurred to me until I started reading posts here where people mentioned that it had happened, or mentioned that it could happen. I would take a guess that the reason vendors say to use the matching charger is (at least partly) to limit liability.

Perhaps someone with more experience or a better understanding of electronics will chime in with some better information...

mikkey9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2012
Chesterfield, England
Doesn`t look as if anyone wants to commit themselves on this one, (and neither do i), Reading the labels on your chargers they
should be interchangable, BUT, the problem with the cheaper knock offs is that you have no idea of what kind of quality control testing they have undergone (if any!). And no comeback if anything goes wrong. With the branded ones the owner of the brand (be-it Riva, Ego, or anyone else) is putting his brands reputation at risk with his chargers.

Bottom line is "you pay your money and take your chances"

Bozzlite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Central Texas
I have used the Genuine Ego and the Riva chargers interchangeably without any problems. Can't say about your knockoffs, but if one caught fire..........there's your sign.

AC adapters aren't inherently prone to catch fire. As long as all the input/output numbers match, and they seem to in your case, there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

apuck

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2012
Washington State
I don't have an answer, but I don't think this is a dumb question, either. Before I started all this, and before I started reading things here about batteries, i would have said that they should be interchangeable, and that there shouldn't be any problem plugging them into your PC. But, it seems the more I read here, the more unsure I get about batteries and charging them.:) A rechargeable battery catching fire while charging never occurred to me until I started reading posts here where people mentioned that it had happened, or mentioned that it could happen. I would take a guess that the reason vendors say to use the matching charger is (at least partly) to limit liability.

Perhaps someone with more experience or a better understanding of electronics will chime in with some better information...

My feelings exactly Moondragon. Before I read any of this stuff I would have just used them interchangeably, plugged into my PC, etc. I really doubt there is an issue doing either, I was just hoping someone with a bit of electrical smarts would pop in and throw some free education at me. :matrix:

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I advise not using the USB port on your computer since the output of the charger (420mAh) is very close to the capability (500mAh) of some of the computer's USB port. Any little surge in current, which could happen when you plug in the charger with battery attached, or attaching the battery to the charger with it already plugged in, could pop the USB port on the computer.

Use an AC adapter rated at 2000mAh (2.0 Amps) at least instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread