Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
I thought I had things nailed down to an IBtanked carto tank or a Kayfun clone. Well after loads and loads of reading, I decided against the Carto tank for now. Maybe next month. Anywho, that brings me to my new question...

I want a rebuildable for this months purchase. I have read just about everything I can get my hands on, and think I have it narrowed down to an Ehpro Kayfun lite+ or a smok RSST. I currently build Kanger heads with cotton. I want to stay with cotton as my wicking material, maybe silica, but definitely not ready for SS mesh. Looking for opinions on which direction a new builder should go? I'm not really interested in any other options at the moment. Don't have the funds at the moment to buy a legit at this moment either. My budget is locked tight at $50 this month. Looking to just get my feet wet coming off of primarily Kanger headed clearo's. It will be used between a Vamo V5 and an iTazte SVD. Will never be taken with me on the go, as I only use an iTazte VTR when I leave the house.

My thinking is that the Kayfun will be a better choice for me. It would help me transition easier then the RSST. Capacity of the clone also appeals to me. The look of the clone is pretty groovy too. What are some experienced users thoughts?

Please save the "only get a real one", "neither of those get this", kind of responses please. Also, as I have mentioned the budget, "get both" responses aren't needed either. I have made my mind up to one of these devices, and one of these only. Which ever one isn't gotten now, I am sure will end up in my collection later, just not right now.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I'd say get the kayfun-alike.

The RSST is about the easiest of the genisis tanks to get started building on (you can actually use cotton wicks in them - no real need to use mesh if you want), but I've always had a more consistent and more flavourful vape off of the bottom coiled vacuum tanks.

I know you don't want to take it with you out and about, but I'm telling you - you just might after you try it. Rebuilding on platforms like these are the next level in vaping and you won't want to go back. If/when you get to taking your rebuildable out, the kayfun has less leakage issues.

Neither is a bad choice. I'd just give the edge to the KF. :2c:

rastapete69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
Orlando
Can't seem to find a vendor for a 3.1 by ehpro. Hcigar all over though. Read the machining is not as well done on those vs ehpro. Read tobeco is even worse, then of course there's the rocket that I understand to be complete junk.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Agree about the Rocket, but find my Tobeco 3.1 to be flawless.
Exactly the same vape as my Russian 91 and a steal at 45 bucks

csantiago1911

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
United States
I have both, an RSST and the KF 3.1 by Hcigar. I'd recommend the Kayfun 3.1 by a country mile. No problems with any of the 5 Hcigar Kayfun clones that I have set up for myself or friends. Machining was clean, precise and uniform on all five. I inspect aircraft mechanical and electronic assemblies as part of my job, so I think I have seen a fair amount of machining (both good and bad). Maybe I just got lucky.

jchamb2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Cleburne, tx
I have both the 3.1 model and the EHpro KFL+. The EHpro Kayfun Lite + is my absolute favorite. While the 3.1 is a fine RBA, I like the shorter, lighter KFL+. Since they both have an air adjustment, the main difference is the fill method. You do have to unscrew the KFL+ from your mod in order to fill it (bottom fill as compared to side fill for the 3.1), but the thing holds so much that I really only fill it maybe once a day.

The other thing I like better about the KFL+ as compared to the 3.1 is the standard 510 drip tip mount. While many 3.1 models come with a drip tip adapter, it just makes the thing longer. I also have an SVD and two Evics that I use. I love the SVD, but with the 3.1 mounted on it, it becomes very long and heavy! When I go out with it I install an 18350 battery to make it shorter, and that works well.

As I said, I have 3.1s by EHpro and HCigar, a Kayfun Lite by SvoeMesto, and Kayfun Lite + by Tobeco and EHpro. All of them are outstanding atomizers, and it's really just a matter of the "fine details" as to which you like better. My two KFL+ models are almost exactly the same, top quality, beautifully finished and vape great. The only difference between the two is one has a flathead screw air adjustment, and the other has a hex screw air adjustment. Since I only adjust it once when I got them, that really doesn't matter to me.

I can't address the RSST, although like you I buy something new about once a month. I have an AGA T2 (very similar to the RSST) in the mail, and will get to play with it in a couple of days. I ordered some mesh also, but I'm really looking to use silica wick in it (my EHpro KFL+ with 5 wraps of Kanthal 32 around silica wick gives me a killer, flavorful vape!).

Hope this helps.

yotogi

Aug 13, 2013
Austin, TX, USA
Although you have said that you don't intend to take whatever you buy out with you, I would still recommend the KFL. You really have to be careful with the RSST for previously stated leaking reasons. To be honest, I find the KFL a very easy build with a microcoil and cotton and it delivers a killer vape once you dial it in for your tastes.

And I would bet that you will find yourself taking your KFL with you once you start using it. Good luck and check out the main KFL thread for all the accumulated experience with the device. It will save you a lot of time learning it.

folkphys

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
My seven cents:

KFL: Bottom Fill Screw; No AFC

KFL+: Bottom Fill Screw; Bottom AFC

KFL+/R91 (clone): Bottom Fill Screw; Side AFC; some of these have a compound 510 positive screw(=adjustable)

KF 3.1: Side Fill Valve; Side AFC; compound 510 positive screw (=adjustable)

I broke me KF3.1 fill valve the first time I tried to fill it. Perhaps other folks have had better luck than me. Or else I just got a crappy one. However, all the recommendations for this thing point towards using a plastic tapered tip for your fill bottle if you use the valve so as not to destroy it like I did. The 3.1 also has the compound center pin which is great for adjusting fitment to your mod but also makes it leaky, but that's why it has a "collector tank".

The KFL+ with the bottom AFC makes airflow adjustments inconvenient on the fly, and I found I only liked the draw with the AFC screw removed. But this made for a mediocre vacuum inside which caused poor wicking.

The other versions of the KFL+ sometimes called Russian 91% clones have side mounted AFC's which is nice, but they all seem to get the air intake and AFC backwards from they way it is set up on the legit R91. Thus, they all seem to whistle like crazy. Some of these versions will also have an actually adjustable 510 screw like the original which is useful but leak-prone.

The KFL is my choice for a cheap clone. Even though the draw is a bit tight and not adjustable, with a careful hand, a dremel and two drill bits (3/64" and 1/16"), the air inlet can be easily enlarged. No whistle, functionally simple, and as long as you have a mod with a somewhat adjustable 510 positive contact, you are good to go.

jchamb2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Cleburne, tx
I forgot to add that the 3.1 Kayfuns require a needle tip bottle or syringe to fill (and I dislike the ones with the "one way valve"). The big selling point for me on the KFL + was the ability to fill from a regular eliquid bottle (the fill screw hole was enlarged and tapered to be like a funnel, and the fill screw has a washer on it to seal properly). For me, they finally got everything right on the Kayfun lite plus (and Russian 91%)

But as I said before, other than backing out the air adjustment screw when I set it up the first time, I've never touched it again. And, I can lay it down all day and never have a leak!

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
I probably would never use a bottom or a side fill port. Honestly I'd rather just fill from the top. I can see whats going on easier that way. I will probably also end up drilling out for airflow on which ever one I land on, so It more preferable for me to have a "collector" and side airflow control. I can try to dial it in better without having to mess with screwing/uncscrewing from the mod. Probably going to grab the 3.1 from RTD this weekend to start off with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread