Eleaf Aster Coil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickyNewb

Mar 9, 2018
Greetings! I am new to this forum but vaping for a few years now to help me stop smoking. I was quite successful and went from a pack every two days to no cigarettes ever since. So I think vaping made me a healthier person!

Anyway, I am currently using Eleaf Aster with the melo mini 3 tank. I've been using the .5 ohm coils with no issues but then recently brought some EC Ceramic .5 ohm by mistake. Being the ignorant soul that I am, I really didn't think nothing of it and started using the ceramic coil. Flavour and smoke were about the same but I found the Aster getting really hot after 4-5 hits, and the battery drains very quickly with the ceramic .5 ohm versus the regular .5 ohm coils I've been using. Thinking I had a bad coil, I replaced it with a brand new ceramic .5 ohm coil with the same result. I make sure I prime it by putting juice into the coil. I am vaping at ~ 31.5 watts. Tried both a lower and higher wattage but no change. Would anybody know why this is? Am I doing something wrong with the EC ceramic coils? Thank you in advance for any advice and suggestions!

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I use the Eleaf Aster 75w TC as one of my main devices, but I mainly use Rebuildable Tanks on it. I usually use mine around a .6 - .7 ohm build, at around 30-35 watts, and I've never experienced the mod getting hot. The first question, is do you have the regular ASTER, or the 75W TC. They have three different versions of the ASTER, the 75w TC (which is what I have), the 100W RT, and there is just the Aster, which does not have a screen.

Since you mentioned the Melo tank, I will assume you have the 100W RT which comes with the Melo. The only thing I can say about that, is with ceramic coils, there's usually more ramp up time with ceramic coils, as well as a long cool down phase. Since there's more substance to heat up/cool down, things work a bit slower. That does 2 things.. one, you're hitting the fire button longer for it to heat up, and once it's heated up, it stays warmer. With it being a "side car" type mod, that heat is transferred to the mod. Heat also diminishes battery life a bit. So, I wouldn't recommend the Ceramic coils with a side car device. I don't think the coils are defective, it's just the nature of ceramic coils.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

RickyNewb

Mar 9, 2018
Hi Neal, Thank you for the reply! I am using the Aster 75w TC as well. Thank you for the clarification regarding the ceramic coils. I didn't know that ceramic takes longer to heat up, now I know why I have to fire it up longer leading to more heat. In the future, I will just stick to non ceramic coils. Just have to pay more attention to what I buy in the future. Unfortunately, I have 15 of them ... :(

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm sorry to hear about your coil situation. You could try to resell them I suppose. You can become verified here and gain access to the classifieds, or there are other options.

I did want to say welcome, and congrats on transitioning to vaping, that's fantastic. I just looked at my early purchasing "errors" (and I made a few) as ways to learn more about what worked for me and what didn't and now have a bunch of vape gear I enjoy, and was able to give away some stuff that I knew I would *never vape* and that made me feel better about it, that is the beauty of vaping, there is something to suit everyone.

Best of luck as you continue vaping!

Anna

Reactions: RickyNewb

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Greetings! I am new to this forum but vaping for a few years now to help me stop smoking. I was quite successful and went from a pack every two days to no cigarettes ever since. So I think vaping made me a healthier person!
Anyway, I am currently using Eleaf Aster with the melo mini 3 tank. I've been using the .5 ohm coils with no issues but then recently brought some EC Ceramic .5 ohm by mistake. Being the ignorant soul that I am, I really didn't think nothing of it and started using the ceramic coil. Flavour and smoke were about the same but I found the Aster getting really hot after 4-5 hits, and the battery drains very quickly with the ceramic .5 ohm versus the regular .5 ohm coils I've been using. Thinking I had a bad coil, I replaced it with a brand new ceramic .5 ohm coil with the same result. I make sure I prime it by putting juice into the coil. I am vaping at ~ 31.5 watts. Tried both a lower and higher wattage but no change. Would anybody know why this is? Am I doing something wrong with the EC ceramic coils? Thank you in advance for any advice and suggestions!
Welcome and glad you joined.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Hi Neal, Thank you for the reply! I am using the Aster 75w TC as well. Thank you for the clarification regarding the ceramic coils. I didn't know that ceramic takes longer to heat up, now I know why I have to fire it up longer leading to more heat. In the future, I will just stick to non ceramic coils. Just have to pay more attention to what I buy in the future. Unfortunately, I have 15 of them ... :(

Sorry to hear about it. You do, however, have a great mod. I love my 75w TC. I am surprised it's not more popular than what it is now. It's rock solid, nice looking, feels nice, plenty of features, Awesome price. It's one of the few mods I have ZERO complaints about.

But as a general rule, the more coil mass you have, the longer it takes to heat up and cool down. Ceramic coils still have a heating coil in them, but the heat is transferred to the ceramics, and the ceramics act like a buffer.. evening out the heat, and allowing less cotton burns. The plus to them, is it has a lower chance to burn the cotton, since it distributes the heat more, and it's less likely to gunk up. So, they should last longer. The downsides are more power requirements. It's less evident with larger mods with multiple batteries, but it will punish any single battery mod. I still say keep them as a backup just in case.

RickyNewb

Mar 9, 2018
Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome! And to Anna for the suggestion on the classified!

The ceramic coil is really starting to heat up the Aster. I don't think this is chain vaping but after 4-5 draws, the mouth piece would really heat up big time and become too hot to vape. It is almost burning my lips! LOL! I've increased the wattage to 45 W from the normal 32.5 W I use with the non ceramic so I guess that contributes to the heat.

I'll do what Neal advise and just use it as backup for now. I am just going to stick with the non ceramic. And Neal, I agree with you completely, the Aster is awesome!

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Sorry ... another newbie question. Aside from Eleaf EC coils, are there any other coil brand that would fit the Melo II Mini tank? I am having a hard time finding a local retailer that stocks the Eleaf EC head. Thanks!

Unfortunately, most coils are proprietary in tanks. There might be some crossover capability, but it's rare. I heave heard others using Atlantis coils and Vapresso's Ceramic coils but other than that, that's it. For a new vaper, I always recommend getting a backup system, as well as a backup atomizer. That way, you're not stuck without something to vape if anything goes bad. Since these are portable devices, things can go bad due to accidents, dropping, abuse, and just wear and tear. For coil availability, I recommend seeing what your local shops have to offer first before deciding what to buy.

The only other option, is building your own coil. But that requires a lot more learning. It is, however, one of the first things I look for when I buy a tank. I look for a RTA head, so if the coils are unavailable, I can still use the tank by building them myself. Of course, buying a tank that is rebuildable only is preferred if you make your own coils (they make the build deck easier and usually those build decks are larger).

Right now, the Smok line of products are very popular, so if I had to recommend getting a tank, I'd recommend getting the Smok TFV8 Baby Beast, since those coils are found just about anywhere. They do have an RBA section, but that will have to be purchased separately. The Baby Beast is the 22mm version of the TFV8, which should fit he Aster quite nicely. The Aster is designed for 22mm atomizers. You can use a 24mm, but there will be a slight overhang, and it will be a bit top heavy. They do offer a .6 ohm Q2 coil for the baby beast, but again, check your local shop first to see if getting a Baby beast is a good option for you.

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread