hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I’m back once again with another review for you. I was sent the Eleaf iStick i80 mod kit by JWEI in order to provide you with another fair and honest review. The i80 is the big brother of the iStick i40 that I reviewed a short time ago. This one has a maximum output of 80 watts and has an internal battery rated at 3000mah and is charged via the 5V/2A USB-C charging port. Included in the kit is the Melo C tank which has a liquid capacity of 5ml and uses the EC2 series coils. The two included in the kit come in at .3 and .5 ohm resistance. Maybe it’s just me but for some reason I just don’t see many .5 ohm coils any more. I think that resistance used to be more popular. The Melo C uses a slide to fill system. I tend to like these since I don’t have to find a place to sit the top cap down while filling the tank.

ix9jVc9.jpg

PsLgs6X.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

1* Eleaf iStick i80 Mod
    1* Eleaf MELO C Tank
    1* Eleaf EC2 0.5Ω Coil
    1* Eleaf EC2-M 0.3Ω Coil (Installed in the tank)
    1* USB Type-C Cable
    2* User Manuals
    1* Warranty Card

P1n58Ms.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS:

Product Size: 36*29*134.5mm

Battery Capacity: Built-in 3000mAh battery

Output Wattage: 1-80W

Charging Current: 5V/2A (USB-C)

E-juice Capacity: 5ml (Standard)

Filling: Top filling

Fit For: Eleaf EC2-M 0.3Ω Coil and EC2 0.3Ω/0.5Ω Coil

Color: Black, Green, Brown, Blue, Red

gMQRcvy.jpg

FEATURES:

1. Composed of iStick i80 Mod and MELO C Tank

2. Built-in 3000mAh battery with 80W max output

3. 5ml e-juice capacity, easy slide-and-fill system

4. Fit for EC2-M 0.3Ω and EC2 0.3Ω/0.5Ω Coil

5. Equipped with smart chip inside for better use

6. Compact and ergonomic, comfortable to hold

Pz6ugyl.jpg

nASo7aR.jpg

imNkPw2.jpg

iWF4ZMd.jpg

7eRxYrI.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

If you’ve seen my last two reviews then you’ll recognize the packaging on the iStick i80. When I first received the package with all these different samples, I thought I had received several of the same one but then noticed the different sizes of the boxes and took a closer look to discover that the FlasQ, i40, and i80 were in fact different devices. The packaging once again is the black box with the large green symbol and a small picture of the device on the front. Once again one side shows the contents list, specifications, and company information while the other side has the authenticity code and some icons highlighting a few features. The included tank uses the EC2 series coils instead of the GTL coils seen in my last review. As far as I know there aren’t any black coils for this one.

1669308450567.png

1669308477587.png

Much like the i40, the i80 sits in a foam insert with the Melo C tank above it. You might notice the little pull strap at the top above the tank. That’s to make it easier to lift the insert so you can get to the rest of the contents that are underneath which include a .3 ohm GTL coil rated for 30-50 watts and the .5 ohm coil rated for 30-100 watts. I find it strange that the .5 coil has such a large wattage range. I never go anywhere near 100 watts in my normal usage. Also under the insert there are two user manuals, a warranty card, and a USB-C charging cable.

1669308556719.png

The i80 has a 3000mah internal battery with a charging rating of 5V/2A. Theoretically you should be able to fully recharge in about an hour and a half if you have a wall wart that will deliver 2 amps of power.

As you can see below, the vinyl like material on the i80 wraps around the entire body continuously only exposing the metal edges of the mod around the exterior of the mod. There are no names or branding at all on the colored portion of the mod.

1669308585873.png

The bottom of the mod does have the iStick i80 name on it along with a single battery venting hole. The top of the mod seems to have the same 510 connection plate as the i40 with the four grooves cut in the plate as well as the same shaped gold plated spring loaded center pin. The top also has the Eleaf name which is the only other branding besides the bottom.

1669308617544.png

The front of the i80 has a large square fire button near the top followed by the OLED display, + and – buttons, and finally the USB-C 2A charging port on the bottom used to charge the 3000mah internal battery. In theory, if you have a charger that will supply a consistent 2A of power then you should be able to charge the battery entirely in about an hour and a half. The OLED display is a simple display much like the i40 had. It only shows the Set Wattage, Battery level indicator, Coil resistance, Output Voltage, and Amperage while firing. The i80 does have what I would call a modified Smart mode. It will sense the resistance and change to a recommended setting. You can change the setting and once you have fired the mod twice then it will remember that setting. The button operation for the i80 is as follows.

• Press the fire button 5X to turn the mod on/off
    • Press the fire button and the + button to enter the Set menu where you can choose from Exit, Sub parameters, Stealth, Preheat, Version, Battery, Coil, and TCR
    • Press the + and – buttons to lock the wattage adjustment buttons but the mod will still fire
    • Press the fire button 3X to enter the menu where you can choose from VW, Bypass, TC-Ni, TC-Ti, TC-SS316, TCR-M1,2, or 3
    To me the Set menu gets a little confusing because it uses symbols instead of words and the display isn’t that big so for my old eyes it’s hard to tell what you are selecting. I’m sure if you used the mod long term then you would get used to it. The i80 does have some built in protections and has a 10 second cutoff. I personally couldn’t imagine taking a 10 second puff but maybe someone could.

1669308664540.png

The tank included in the i80 kit is the Melo C tank. This tank uses the EC2 series coils and as I mentioned earlier it comes with one each of a .5 and .3 ohm coil. The EC2 coils thread into the base and thread into the chamber. This is something I haven’t seen in a long time. Most coils I see these days are simple push in coils. Nothing wrong with threaded coils it’s just odd to see them these days. It will hold 5ml of liquid with the standard kit or 2ml with the TPD version. As always, disassemble and clean your tank before using it. The Melo C tank uses a sliding top cap like the D20 tank did on my last review. I like that there isn’t a fill gasket. That’s a personal preference of mine.

1669308700108.png

7meRX2p.jpg

htDliJd.jpg

FIINAL THOUGHTS:

To me the iStick i80 has that old school feel like the i40 had. I like it. Maybe it’s because it brings back old memories since I’ve been vaping for over 13 years now. From what I can tell from testing the i80, it is a really solid and lightweight device that has worked flawlessly for me. The 3000mah battery with a 2A charging rate should be sufficient for most people to get at least a full day of use.

The .5 ohm EC2 coil has quickly become my favorite of the two. I feel like I get very good flavor using Dinner Lady Berry Blast in it for testing. This coil really brought out the highlights of this one shot that I’ve been using in a couple other devices. Also, this coil provides a very large amount of vapor with me setting it at 45 watts and having the airflow maybe ¼ open.

The .3 coil is very good also. I ran this one at 40 watts with the airflow 1/3 open and it also produces plenty of vapor while providing very good flavor. Maybe it’s the liquid I chose which is a raspberry custard but the .5 coil ended up being my favorite. The flavor was very good but not quite as good as the .5 coil. Also I should mention that 45 watts seems to be my sweet spot so that may have had some effect on my results.

Despite the i80 appearing to be simplistic, it does have a lot of features. I however find the menu system to me unnecessarily complicated and unless you know what the symbols mean then you may be lost without the user manual like I was. Fortunately for me, you really don’t need to use the menu system if you don’t want to. Just turn the mod on and vape in wattage mode.

So, would I recommend the iStick i80 for you? I would. I feel like it is a solid mod and tank combination and if you don’t like the tank then you can use your own tank on it. This one can be as simple or complicated to use as you want it to be. It has lots of options but they aren’t necessary to use the mod. I feel like the 300mah battery is a good size for an 80 watt mod.

I’d like to thank Eleaf and Adela for sending the Eleaf iStick i80 samples and extra coils for this review. It is much appreciated. Thanks goes out to you the readers. You make this possible. Below is a link to the website if you’d like to take a look at all the different devices available from Eleaf.

Eleaf iStick i80 Kit with MELO C Tank - Eleaf Official Website (eleafworld.com)
    1669308837919.png

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Relieved to hear my uncle should enjoy the one I ordered for him. Thanks Hitt.
    Thanks for checking out my review. I really hope he likes it. I do. I barely messed with the menu. You really don’t need to if you’re a wattage Vaper. He should do fine with it.

Reactions: DallasLiza
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread