Eleaf iStick Melo with Melo 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the istick Melo with Melo 4 from eleaf. The iStick Melo Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by eleaf.

iStick MELO with MELO 4 - Eleaf electronic cigarette

In the Box

Contents:

1×iStick MELO battery mod
1×MELO 4 Atomizer (D22)
1×EC2 0.3ohm Head (pre-installed)
1×EC2 0.5ohm Head
1×QC USB cable
2×User Manuals
Spare Parts

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

After opening the normal Eleaf packaging the Silver device and tank lay side by side, there are other colour options for the device but unless you get the Black (which comes with a Black tank) the tank you receive is Silver. The finish is a matt silver with very shiny chrome base, top, USB port surround and fire button. The device is very plain with just a few aesthetic features.The front has Eleaf branding in the centre at the bottom and in the same position on the back is printed "iStick MELO". The top of the device has a spring loaded 510 one side and the other side has a black panel which houses the 0.49 screen and the Chrome +/- keys, this panel and 510 has a chrome surround. The Chrome on the top of the device ventures about 14 mm down the spine where we find the USB port, on the other side of the device towards the top, there is a large vertical pill shaped chrome fire button. The Chrome base of the device has large safety markings and good venting, finally the Melo 4 tank sits flush on the device and does look like it belongs. The device is slightly tall but is very slim with very curved edges making it very comfortable in the hand.

Melo 4 Specs:

Type: D22/D25 (This kit contains D22)
Diameter: 22mm
Height: 52.5mm
E-liquid capacity: 2mll
Weight: 46.8g
Thread type: 510 thread
Color: silver, black, white, greenery, blue, red

Melo 4 Overview

The Melo 4 is an easy to use no fuss sub-ohm tank, so it has a lot in common with the iStick Melo it's been paired with. It comes apart and screws back together with no problems at all and the coils screw into the base then screw on to the air pipe as the base is screwed in place. It is a standard 510 drip tip fitting so you can use your favourite 510, it is also top-fill. To fill the tank you just need to push the top-cap and it slides open revealing the fill port, then just push it back in place (this operates at the perfect resistance and is very secure, there is no way the tank will open by accident). The airflow is duel cyclops with stopper which moves very smoothly. When i looked at the two supplied coils i did have concerns whether the Melo 4 is a good option for the iStick Melo as the coils have quite a high wattage rating. The pre-installed EC2 0.3 is rated at 30w - 80w and the EC2 0.5 rated at 30w - 100w but i found the 0.5 best at 40w and despite having a lower rating found the 0.3 best at 45w so the tank works perfectly with the iStick melo. The flavour from both coils was pretty good and gave more than enough cloud for me, i also found it a very smooth vape. I did try both coils at the 60w maximum the device will go and yes an unneeded increase in cloud but the flavour is not as good, so in my opinion the coils are best towards the lower end of their rating. While using the Melo 4 i had no leaking issues.

iStick Melo Specs:

Size: 85mm x 42mm x 22mm
Battery type: Built-in 4400mAh
Display: 0.49-inch top screen
Maximum charging current: 2A
Output wattage: 1-60W
Resistance range: 0.05-1.5ohm (TC modes)/0.1-3.5ohm (VW/Bypass mode)
Output mode: VW/Bypass/TC(Ni/Ti/SS/TCR(M1,MI2,M3))
Thread: Spring-loaded 510 thread
Colours: Black, Greenery, Silver, Rose Gold, Red

Using the iStick Melo

The Melo is a simple yet fully functional device with wattage and full temp control settings. It is the standard 5 clicks on/off and once on 3 clicks to enter the menu system. The options go in the order of wattage, bypass, temp Ni, temp Ti, temp SS followed by the 3 memory slots. To navigate you use the - and + keys and the fire button to select, that is all there is to it. While in temp control pressing the fire button 4 times allows you to set the wattage and there are other functions with key press combinations. The other functions are pressing the + and - together while the device is off flips the screen, the same while the device is on locks the keys, fire and - is stealth and finally fire and + allows you to set your TCR settings. The device also has ENU which i don't fully understand but seems to be it only allows charging when the ambient temperature allows charging to be efficient. 2 clicks of the fire button allows you to turn ENU on or off. The screen is small but it only displays wattage/temp, battery status, ohms and voltage and everything is clear and sharp.

Performance

The iStick Melo is a simple device that does what it's meant to. It works very well and the Melo 4 was a good option, however this would be a great little device with a MTL tank which it's more suited to having a 60w maximum wattage and only being able to fit up-to a 22mm tank without overhang. The 4400mAh battery gave great life and the Melo also supports 2A charging.

Pros

Good grab and go device
Good entry mod
Very simple to use
Good ergonomics
Great battery life
2A charging
Performs well
Temp control
Melo 4, good low wattage DL tank

Cons

Not suitable for high wattage vapers
Tanks over 22mm will have overhang
Advanced users might want more features

Conclusion

A good, fully functional out and about starter kit allowing the user to have a go at temp control if they wish. As well as for starters if you like to DL at low wattages it makes for a good grab and go device. I personally think the device would be more suited with a MTL tank.

I would once again like to thank Eleaf for supplying the iStick Melo with Melo 4 for the purpose of this review.

iStick MELO with MELO 4 - Eleaf electronic cigarette

Reactions: Falconeer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread