Eleaf iSTICK Power - Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon O

May 24, 2019
Hi everyone,

I bought an Eleaf iSTICK Power last weekend and for the first couple of days it was a joy. Problems started when I refilled the tank (a Joyetech) with juice. I left it in there for 15 minutes before using it and on the first couple of draws it felt like the coil was already burned out.
At the next empty tank I changed the coil (I primed it well as I was shown in the shop) and by the end of the day I was getting that awful scorched taste and it felt hot to draw.
I had barely used it. I use a smaller mod with a stronger nicotine content for my nic-fix. The Eleaf POWER was bought to provide me with a nice, cool experience with much more vape that I could enjoy of an evening at home.
Surely the coil should last longer than a DAY and half a tank of juice!
Stupidly - I then went into the settings and I now have no idea what I have done. I lowered the temperature setting to 165c but I can't remember what it was when I bought it.
I have a 0.4 coil in it. I was told to run it at 45w but that produces a burned taste and the heat. I have tried to reset it by pressing the reset button and the up button but all that happens is the screen goes blank - I get no indication that anything has changed and the settings are the same when I check.
WHAT am I doing wrong?!
Any help would be appreciated. Straight out of the box this was an absolute pleasure to use but the first time I add new juice.... I must be doing something wrong.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi everyone,

I bought an Eleaf iSTICK Power last weekend and for the first couple of days it was a joy. Problems started when I refilled the tank (a Joyetech) with juice. I left it in there for 15 minutes before using it and on the first couple of draws it felt like the coil was already burned out.
At the next empty tank I changed the coil (I primed it well as I was shown in the shop) and by the end of the day I was getting that awful scorched taste and it felt hot to draw.
I had barely used it. I use a smaller mod with a stronger nicotine content for my nic-fix. The Eleaf POWER was bought to provide me with a nice, cool experience with much more vape that I could enjoy of an evening at home.
Surely the coil should last longer than a DAY and half a tank of juice!
Stupidly - I then went into the settings and I now have no idea what I have done. I lowered the temperature setting to 165c but I can't remember what it was when I bought it.
I have a 0.4 coil in it. I was told to run it at 45w but that produces a burned taste and the heat. I have tried to reset it by pressing the reset button and the up button but all that happens is the screen goes blank - I get no indication that anything has changed and the settings are the same when I check.
WHAT am I doing wrong?!
Any help would be appreciated. Straight out of the box this was an absolute pleasure to use but the first time I add new juice.... I must be doing something wrong.
Hi Jon,
Welcome to ECF.
Did you get the tank and the battery together as a kit?
What is the other device you have for your "nic-fix"?
What is the nicotine level of the juice you use in the Joyetech? in the "nic fix" device?

How long did you smoke and how many per day?
Where in the wide world of vaping are you located?

Cheers
I

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Jon O

May 24, 2019
Hi Izan,

I am in the UK. The nic-fix device is also an Eleaf. It is an istick 30w. I wasn't getting the clouds I wanted from it but it serves the purpose as a nicotine replacement. I use 12m nicotine strength in the 30w.
The juice in the NEW tank is a short-fill sweet flavour. You add the nicotine to it and it dilutes to 3m strength. I wanted the NEW tank for the clouds and the hit but only really wanted to use it at home and not "routinely" like I use the 30w.
The tank and battery for the POWER - I bought together - the shop recommended the tank. Its a pretty basic joyetech and I am away from home so can't remember the exact model. It has a slideable rubber base which opens up the airways.
I really don't understand what I have done wrong here. For the first day it was beautiful. Exactly what I wanted. But it all started going wrong when I had to reload the juice. It also spits when I inhale. It was on the exact same settings the guy set it up with - until I stupidly started messing with them.
I really would appreciate any advice. And thank you for your kind welcome.
J

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Without knowing which tanks/coils you are using, I can only speculate that the shop sold you a Melo/lemo tank that takes "EC" coil heads. I am only guessing because I can not find the .4Ω coil head you said you are currently using.

If you can hear the air rushing into the tank and you are using a sharp, strong, fast, deep inhale of two to three seconds, the tank should perform just fine.
If on the other hand, you are trying to hit it like you would a cigarette; slow, steady, even inhale of 4-6 seconds, then perhaps we have narrowed the issue down a bit.

The battery devices should be used in "Wattage" mode.
"Temperature control" mode can only be used with coils made of Stainless Steel, Titanium, Zirconium or Nickel.

With most Joye devices, three clicks should get you into the menu and using the up/down buttons, you can scroll through each of the modes available.
The owners manual is pretty comprehensive. You can download it from Joyetech if needed.

HTH
I

Jon O

May 24, 2019
Thank you. I will check out the coil and tank make when I get home in a couple of hours and come back to you. I know that I have reduced the read-out of the temperature setting because it was two hundred and something when I found it and it is now reading 165. But I don't know if that is actually "doing" anything. I did try to factory reset (manual says press the reset button and hold the up button) but even holding that for 30 seconds didn't seem to achieve anything. I will pop back in a bit with the full specifications of all the kit and see if that might shed any light on things. I am really grateful for your time.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Thank you. I will check out the coil and tank make when I get home in a couple of hours and come back to you. I know that I have reduced the read-out of the temperature setting because it was two hundred and something when I found it and it is now reading 165. But I don't know if that is actually "doing" anything. I did try to factory reset (manual says press the reset button and hold the up button) but even holding that for 30 seconds didn't seem to achieve anything. I will pop back in a bit with the full specifications of all the kit and see if that might shed any light on things. I am really grateful for your time.

Cool cool,
Again, unless indicated otherwise, you should be using those tanks and coils in "wattage" mode.

Temperature control mode will only function correctly with a coil made of Stainless steel, Nickel, titanium or zirconium.
When using Temperature control coils, the Eleaf products tend to default to the maximum wattage the device can produce. In addition to adjusting the temperature (450F is where the nastiness begins to be formed), I suggest reducing the wattage to approximately the same output you might use if the coil was NON TC compatible.
Again, three clicks and use the Up/Down buttons to navigate to the wattage field and to adjust (lower) your watts.

See you later
I

Jon O

May 24, 2019
Hi again,

So the tank is a Joyetech ProCore SE.
The coils are Joyetech ProC Atomizers.
The Mod is the Eleaf Istick Power 80w.

I tried the 2-3 second maximum draw as you suggested on 45w. It was good for three hits before the vape became too hot and it tasted scorched.

I think the coil that’s in there (which is only two days old) May already be burned out and beyond redemption.

I genuinely don’t know what I’m doing wrong here. On day 1 I used it all night with no problems at all. Set at 45w and it was cool and airy and lovely.

Now I get spits onto my tongue as I inhale and it’s burning through coils way too fast.

Really - genuinely - confused

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
If you're using these coils, they're not for temp control.

As others have mentioned, it's probably wise to avoid temp control modes with that tank. What may happen (at a guess) is that the mod pushes lots of power into the coil because it doesn't see its resistance changing. Go back to normal power/wattage mode and it should calm down.

With the iPower, I think you long-press the small button (between up and down) to change modes.

Good luck!

• Useful
Reactions: Izan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread