eLiquid getting nasty taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinxt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2011
Newport News, Virginia
This happens to me here and there too. It has happened with juice from 4-5 different vendors and it always happens around the 3-4 week mark for me. The juice will take on a sour/metallic bile sensation out of nowhere and it will not go away. I can switch to a different juice and its fine and when I go back to the problem juice it's still there. I say sensation because it's not the juice flavor that turns, it's the vaping sensation that changes. It's like vaping heartburn. I have had it happen to fresh made juices as well as juices that don't have a "born on" date and from ranges of 12mg-18mg and from 70/30 pg/vg to 50/50 blends from different vendors.

I'd like to know more too.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

OrbvsTerrarvm

May 25, 2012
Canada
Can you detect anything bad in the scent of the juice?

After a bit of googling for "metallic taste" I found this:
Dysgeusia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have you had any dental work done recently? Are you on any medications?

Of course, getting someone else to confirm that it tastes of metallic vomit would rule out dysgeusia. Do you know any other vapers? If so, it would be an interesting experiment to get them to try the unholy juice.

Contamination is another perfectly reasonable possibility. Anything in the workplace that could be the cause?

Sounds like an awful problem to have. I hope you can get to the bottom of it, and find a solution.

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
No I don't know any other vapers around here unfortunately. It's not a huge issue to me, because like I said it hasn't happened a whole lot, but it still sucks having to get rid of juice, even if it's only 5-10mL's. Sometimes i'll notice lint on the threads of my juice bottles at work and I try to wipe it off, but i'm wondering if maybe it's getting in there. Even a microscopic piece or 2 would probably effect the juice taste. I'm not sure what else it could be, but except for when i'm dripping (I do quick stealth vapes in the bathroom because the other contractor company hires disability people, and it'd be hard to explain to them) the bottles stay in my pocket the whole time. No dental work, or meds either. Hrm.

What makes me think it has to be getting contaminated is how fast it changes. I can be vaping the same juice all day happily, and then suddenly for my next vape break it has that taste in full effect. Juice doesn't just suddenly go from amazing to gag inducing in an hour, ya know?

Varrius

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm going to take your explanation at face value, and assume (based on yours and a couple of others here confirming it has happened to them) that your not having equipment issues.

A couple of questions:

1. Does this happen mostly at work or when your out and about? If so, how do you treat your juice differently than when at home?

2. What ingredients do the juices this has happened to have in common?

3. Is there a specific timeframe this typically happens to a juice? 2 weeks? 4 weeks? etc.?

Initially I'm thinking that your not contaminating your juice with pocket lint. The reason why is that if there were enough "space" for pocket lint to get into your pocket, that would be more than enough space for your juice to be in your pants and not still in the bottle.

My first guess is that if this mostly happens when your keeping your bottle of juice on your person (i.e. in your pocket), and not at home where it may be sitting on a counter-desktop, then heat from your body is causing something to go wrong with your juice. Keep in mind that storing a bottle of juice in your pocket for an extended period of time is going to raise the temperature of that juice considerably. This could be a reaction that nicotene, or one of the other common components of juice, is having due to the higher heat. Perhaps someone could research chemical reactions of nicotene when exposed to heat, I'm too lazy to do it at the moment. More than likely the metallic taste is a byproduct of some such chemical reaction ocurring while the juice is at a higher than normal temperature.

Or I could be completely wrong, too many variables to say.

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
It's definitely not me. It's not a random subtle taste I get from time to time. It's a taste so foul and nasty that I would go hours without nicotine because of how bad it is. I've had eliquid start to taste funky before. This is NOT that, this is something seriously wrong, that even gives me a weird, metallic almost taste and gives me a headache if I vape it much. If nobody has experienced anything similar, fine, lucky you. But for the last time, it's not just me loosing my taste for a juice. It's a foul, disgusting thing that tastes exactly the same every time it happens no matter what juice. I wish I could let somebody here try one of the juices with this taste, you would seriously not even believe it if you did, it's that horrible. The fact that it actually gives me these side effects and it even makes me feel like it's something seriously wrong and unhealthy, I CANNOT understate! It really gives me the feeling that it's not good for me at all when it happens, I just wish I knew what it was.

Actually, vomit is a good way to put it. It tastes like burnt vomit with a strong metallic taste. Something is definitely not right when it happens. Also, it's not just a burnt taste, that's just a small part of it, I just couldn't possibly describe it better than I just did. One time I screwed up, and cleaned the 2 atomizers that I had used one of these funky juices in and I put it back in them and the taste was there again. I cleaned them out and I still use all of them(except for the couple cartos I had these juices in, they were completely ruined).

I swear, this is what "I" would do... I'd go to the local 7-11, RaceTrac, Pilot (or any truck stop), and purchase a 'disposable' eCig (get an NJoy disposable if you can, blus are just 'nasty' to me... lol) and vape that for a day..... if those taste like 'metallic vomit' then you'll know for a fact it's an issue with you..... just my humble suggestion that I believe could rectify this in short order :)

Vappa

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2012
Netherlands
Maybe i've read over it, but i will ask it anyway:
When you have a carto that has this strange taste to it, did you try to put it away? And then after a while when you're vaping a juice that is okay, re-try the other one? If so, does that other one still have that nasty taste to it?
I'm trying to rule out some things with these questions.

Varrius

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Houston, TX
Maybe i've read over it, but i will ask it anyway:
When you have a carto that has this strange taste to it, did you try to put it away? And then after a while when you're vaping a juice that is okay, re-try the other one? If so, does that other one still have that nasty taste to it?
I'm trying to rule out some things with these questions.

I had some of the same thoughts, there are a number of little "experiments" one could run to determine if it is in fact something really going wrong with the juice, or if it is more related to equipment or taste bud issues. I made the assumption, based on the OP's persistance that the juice is the problem, that he/she has already done this sort of thing to rule out personal or equipment issues. What you suggest would be the first thing I'd try if it were me.

XfooYen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2012
SoCal
My first question would be if the OP takes any medications. Some meds DO AFFECT TASTE. I took Lunesta for a short-lived bout with insomnia several years ago and had to stop taking it because it made everything taste bad. I looked in the side effects sheet and there it was: May affect taste. Also the juice may be going rancid for some reason. Excessive heat or sunlight can affect this with certain flavor compounds. Refrigeration will slow down this process (after steeping of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread