• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hello to my online church family! I wanted to share with you - I am enrolling at Regent University this fall. Regent University - A Leading Global Christian University

I had to write an admissions essay. The topic is:

Regent University’s motto is “Christian Leadership to Change the World.” Please submit your essay describing how an undergraduate degree from Regent University will help you meet your personal goals, and in the process, create a Christian leader to change the world.
Your essay must be typed, and should be between 300 and 500 words. Include your name, address, and telephone or email address.

I was named after the witch on the TV show Dark Shadows. I was raised pagan and was a practicing witch. I was very active in the pagan community and was an ordained Wiccan priestess. At age thirty-five, to the shock of most everyone who knew me, I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.

My conversion was an emotional event, yet it was not emotionally driven. With study and logical examination of evidence, Christianity becomes the only possible faith. Neo-paganism is an amalgam of various religions and traditions, so it was my habit to study many belief systems. In the five years that I have been a Christian, I have devoted as much time as possible to the study of God and His Word. I read books and articles, and listen to lectures online and on the radio.

A little over a month ago, I heard a radio advertisement for a scholarship contest. I was not even considering college, but I believe God used that advertisement to speak to me. I feel I am being called to school, but not for the purpose of career training. I believe that God wants me to take my study of Him to a higher academic level. I have been researching Christian colleges since the day I heard the radio spot.

Of the schools I looked into, Regent University stood out. The statement of faith is Biblically sound. Pat Robertson is a well known and well respected man of God. The course catalog is full of classes, both religious and academic, that interest me. Most all of the classes are available online, and for those that do need to be taken on campus, Regent is only 45 minutes from my home. I have not yet toured the campus. My only contact with Regent University thus far, has been online and over the phone, and it has been a pleasant experience. I am trusting God by answering His call to go to school. I will trust Him to lead me to the school He has chosen for me.

The more I know about God, the better able I will be to serve Him. One way to serve Him is to bring others to Him. The best way to do this is to live my life as a testimony and lead by example. When talking with unsaved people, I need to be able to explain why Jesus is the One True God. To do this I must be educated in His Word.

Regent University is has a high academic standing, but the school’s primary goal is to glorify God. I believe that by pursuing a degree at Regent, I will be following God’s instruction.

“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.” ~Mathew 6:33 NKNV
What do you think? I haven't turned it in yet, so critiques are appreciated.

~A

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
It's interesting, Angel, but when I first saw your screen name, I thought of 'Angelique' on Dark Shadows. I used to come in from school and watch it every day with my grandmother. I wasn't a Christian at the time. Like you, I became a 'blood bought born again' when I turned 35. Very interesting, to be sure.

I thought your essay was right on the money, except for one error.....'Regent University is has a high academic standing, but the school’s primary goal is to glorify God. I believe that by pursuing a degree at Regent, I will be following God’s instruction.'........ You have an extra word in it after the first 2 words. 'Is' needs to be removed. Everything else is straight from your heart, and that is the way it needs to be kept. God dictated it to you and you put the words on paper. Always go with what God says! I'm very proud and excited for you for taking this step! Please keep us informed.:)

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks so much. I fixed the IS before turning it in. I also fixed the typo on NKJV. I took out "I have not yet toured the campus" (I did and it is beautiful! It hit me right in the Georgian archetecture geek) Always have more than one person proofread. Three different people found three different mistakes!

Question - more of a survey, actually; You folks know me fairly well. What do you think I should major in?

My husband is on hometime, so I am taking him down to see the campus. (He's a bigger geek than I am.) He is a bit envious because he would love to go to school. I think he would make a great history professor. He doesn't think he can do it because he has to have a job to provide for us. Even online classes would not be possible. (You know what life is like on the road, Lady T.) Please pray for guidance in this, and if it is God's will that my husband go to school too, He shows us a way to make it happen.

Be well,
~A

HyOnLyph

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi Angelique,
I thought your essay was well written.
Regarding your major.... pick something that you are interested in. I'd suggest that you don't "over-spritualize" the decision. If you are interested in counseling, lean into that area. If it's business.. follow that. The desires of our heart are there for us to pursue and God will light the path as we go. I noticed that their online degrees are a little more limited. So check them out and see what clicks for you. Trust yourself... after all, the Spirit dwells within you.

Online Learning: Christian Education Degree Online - Regent University

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
Thanks so much. I fixed the IS before turning it in. I also fixed the typo on NKJV. I took out "I have not yet toured the campus" (I did and it is beautiful! It hit me right in the Georgian architecture geek) Always have more than one person proofread. Three different people found three different mistakes!

Question - more of a survey, actually; You folks know me fairly well. What do you think I should major in?

My husband is on home-time, so I am taking him down to see the campus. (He's a bigger geek than I am.) He is a bit envious because he would love to go to school. I think he would make a great history professor. He doesn't think he can do it because he has to have a job to provide for us. Even online classes would not be possible. (You know what life is like on the road, Lady T.) Please pray for guidance in this, and if it is God's will that my husband go to school too, He shows us a way to make it happen.

Be well,
~A

I didn't catch the typos! :blush: I guess I depend on my spelling checker too much!

I remember all too well what being a trucker is like. :) Sometimes I really miss it! It's a tough job on the driver and their family. You have to make a lot of sacrifices to get the job done as well.

I'm sure your husband will have the opportunity to quit driving someday and go back to school. :)

I think you are very intelligent, and would excel at any major you choose! God will direct you to the path He wants you to take. He will open the doors for you!

I'm keeping you in my prayers!
'T'

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
Hi Angelique,
I thought your essay was well written.
Regarding your major.... pick something that you are interested in. I'd suggest that you don't "over-spritualize" the decision. If you are interested in counseling, lean into that area. If it's business.. follow that. The desires of our heart are there for us to pursue and God will light the path as we go. I noticed that their online degrees are a little more limited. So check them out and see what clicks for you. Trust yourself... after all, the Spirit dwells within you.

Online Learning: Christian Education Degree Online - Regent University

Well said, Hy!

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
I didn't catch the typos! :blush: I guess I depend on my spelling checker too much!

I remember all too well what being a trucker is like. :) Sometimes I really miss it! It's a tough job on the driver and their family. You have to make a lot of sacrifices to get the job done as well.

I'm sure your husband will have the opportunity to quit driving someday and go back to school. :)

I think you are very intelligent, and would excel at any major you choose! God will direct you to the path He wants you to take. He will open the doors for you!

I'm keeping you in my prayers!
'T'

Now Lady T, STOP TAKING THE WORDS OUT OF MY MOUTH BEFORE I GET A CHANCE TO SAY THEM!:blink::blink: :laugh::laugh:

Now, dearest Angel....I realize you're keeping your options open, trying to gather as much direction from others that you can, but, the main One you should ask is the Lord. You are in the 'Braxton Hicks' stages of this. (Small contractions that happens some weeks before real childbirth labor begins.) At this particular point, the Lord knows you want to do something career wise that will bring Glory and Honor to His Kingdom. Continue to seek His Face on this and you may not get an answer right away....don't get discouraged, because, "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it." He won't dangle you on a yo-yo. That's not the way He works. 'His sheep know His voice.' Do you need foundation courses for any and all curriculum? Start generic and get the pre-rec classes out of the way. I guarantee it that you will know what special plans he has for you. It may be tomorrow or a year down the road. I actually think it's rather exciting as you will be walking on virginous territory in your walk with Him.

About your husband.......just because he can't do it now doesn't mean that he won't in the future. God has different paths, as far as careers are concerned, for him and you.....at this time. Once you get your career set, you can support you both so that he can go to school. Sometimes our 'wants' prayers don't always get answered like we would want them to. God always answers prayers.....it's: yes, no, and not at this time. If this is a true desire of his heart, God will know it and make it happen......AND you can bank on that!!!!! :)

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
Hello to my online church family! I wanted to share with you - I am enrolling at Regent University this fall. Regent University - A Leading Global Christian University

I had to write an admissions essay. The topic is:

Regent University’s motto is “Christian Leadership to Change the World.” Please submit your essay describing how an undergraduate degree from Regent University will help you meet your personal goals, and in the process, create a Christian leader to change the world.
Your essay must be typed, and should be between 300 and 500 words. Include your name, address, and telephone or email address.

What do you think? I haven't turned it in yet, so critiques are appreciated.

~A

Honestly ~A?........

IF "I" were on the Admissions Panel, I couldn't enroll you fast enough!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly.... this gave me goosebumps... you are such a glorious (SHINING) walking testimony for Christ. I so love you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread