Sweetening Sour Liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggy

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2013
New York
I bought some ethyl maltol crystals and want to dissolve with water to get an extremely sweet base which I can use to sweeten some sour juices I made. Since I will be using distilled water to dissolve, I would only want to use about 3 drops to sweeten the 10ml sour pomegranate mix I made. Can someone give ma a ballpark ratio of how many grams of ethyl maltol to mil. of water to use to get this supers sweet solution?

CountryTime

Nov 20, 2013
Tulsa, OK
I would use PG instead of water though but that's just me. Mix 1gram of crystals (1/4 tsp) to 10ml PG (or H20). Gives you a 10% solution roughly.
.......glass dropper bottle, top off....turn on your coffee maker....set glass pot aside.....let the warmer plate get hot for a couple minutes then place glass bottle on warmer plate for 10-25 seconds, finger over top of bottle....shake vigorously, repeat until crystals are dissolved. good luck!

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
EM is more of a thickening agent and adds body and smoothness to a mix. One of the side benefits is it gives the perception of slightly sweetening by changing the way your taste receptors precieve taste. It's not really ment to be used as a straight up sweetener. If your going to want to add a lot of sweetening you should use regular sweetener (Sacarlos). If your going to use EM you should start with .5 to 1% but no more then that. It may tame the sour taste but won't remove it.

Last edited:

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
I bought some ethyl maltol crystals and want to dissolve with water to get an extremely sweet base which I can use to sweeten some sour juices I made. Since I will be using distilled water to dissolve, I would only want to use about 3 drops to sweeten the 10ml sour pomegranate mix I made. Can someone give ma a ballpark ratio of how many grams of ethyl maltol to mil. of water to use to get this supers sweet solution?

Agree with danny45, and would add...

...EM could only be a "sweetener" if it were actually sweeter than whatever we're trying to sweeten...but it's not! It is VERY uncommon that EM is sweeter than any flavor. It has a taste like cotton candy - but if you taste really cotton candy next to it, you'll grimace at how not-sweet the EM actually is. How it ever got started being called a "sweetener" is beyond comprehension...but once it got started, it seems all of Vapeland repeated it.

Not only is it not-sweet, it also diminishes flavor (sometimes substantially) in juices - and many times that carries over to our own tongues, and causes everything we vape after vaping a high-EM juice to become less intense in flavor...to the point of being almost unable to taste it at all. And it's not "just us"...

Thanks for posting this info! Yesterday I happen to experience this clearly, my standard tobacco vape instantly became tasteless after test vaping a fruit mix with some EM in it. ...

If you have to have an ultra-sweet juice, then sucralose or stevia will work. But sucralose will also cause the juice to have substantially less flavor after a few days - so you'll have to add even more flavoring to counteract it's effect. We have no idea how stevia affects various juices, because we've never been able to get it to work to our satisfaction.

Last edited:

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA

Here's a great way to fix 'em! 'Don't know why in the world we didn't think to mention this before, because "fixing a broken juice" is one of THE best ways to come up with an unexpected winner (and we always learn a lot that we can apply to our future mixing).

Take the a sour one, and dilute it with equal parts unflavored nic base (nic base = your standard mix of pg, vg and nic to create your nic level), mix/shake it thoroughly, give it a little time in a hot water bath, and then test-vape it. "Equal parts" should be a big enough of dilution to 'water down' the intense sourness, but if not you can dilute it further (or you can start by diluting it with less unflavored).

Then start fixing the new dilution...do that by adding small amounts of whatever sweet flavors you've got that seem like they might work with the mix. Be sure to keep good notes, because you'll virtually always come up with a blend you'll want to make again.

Good luck!

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
If you are trying to completely avoid PG, you might try KAL brand liquid stevia. Ingredients: Stevia, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin (60%) and water. I use it in one of my mixes and it is VERY sweet. I'd start out at 1 drop per 10ml, mix well, vape a little, add more if needed. Any good health food store will have it.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Here's a great way to fix 'em! 'Don't know why in the world we didn't think to mention this before, because "fixing a broken juice" is one of THE best ways to come up with an unexpected winner (and we always learn a lot that we can apply to our future mixing).

Take the a sour one, and dilute it with equal parts unflavored nic base (nic base = your standard mix of pg, vg and nic to create your nic level), mix/shake it thoroughly, give it a little time in a hot water bath, and then test-vape it. "Equal parts" should be a big enough of dilution to 'water down' the intense sourness, but if not you can dilute it further (or you can start by diluting it with less unflavored).

Then start fixing the new dilution...do that by adding small amounts of whatever sweet flavors you've got that seem like they might work with the mix. Be sure to keep good notes, because you'll virtually always come up with a blend you'll want to make again.

Good luck!

I've used that approach many times and have gotten some fantastic results from some pretty bad tasting juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread