EVA - And what you should know about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astatine

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2011
USA
OK. I'll be the Devil's advocate.

The use of EVA was started by the firefighters, not the FDA. ■ Only 4% of all residential fires were reportedly caused by smoking materials in 2002.
These fires, however, were responsible for 19% of residential fire fatalities and 9% of
injuries.
■ The fatality rate due to smoking is nearly four times higher than the overall residential
fire rate; injuries are more than twice as likely.
■ Forty percent of all smoking fires start in the bedroom or living room/family room; in
35% of these fires, bedding or upholstered furniture are the items first ignited.
■ Smoking fire fatalities spike in the early morning hours when victims are asleep.

You can read the rest here: http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/statistics/v5i5.pdf

This might come as a shock for you, but the FDA does a good job of protecting you overall. Protecting people who KNOWINGLY KILL themselves anyway, is not the top of their priority list I am sure. Besides, smoking will kill the smoker. Fire will kill a lot of people around you.

Michael Curry

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2011
Panama City, FL
So the faster the smokers are killed off, the sooner we get to see a 19% reduction in residential fire fatalities.

So... how many smokers are they trading for how many fire victims, and are these numbers adjusted to account for the smokers who are included in the 19% in the first place?

Besides, smoking will kill the smoker. Fire will kill a lot of people around you.

What percentage of smokers are involved in fires? The EVA will effect all smokers and everyone around them, without all the excitement of fire trucks and sirens splitting the pre-dawn quiet.

Seems to me the smarter move would be to endorse the things that have a better chance of helping people quit smoking, instead of persecuting them. But then, that's just one taxpayer's opinion, not influenced in any way by funding from special interest groups.

Sorry Astatine - I do get what you're saying - but I still think they are going about it all wrong and for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:

windwalker

Unregistered Supplier
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan USA
www.akstonhughes.com
Astatine makes a good point,
the argument she presents is the standard justification / explanation of the fiasco...

But it fails in two areas: "Why EVA?" - "Why omit it on the labeling?"

When the initial legislation was proposed, "Reduced Ignition Propensity" was defined
with a finite set of criteria for how long it takes the cigarette to go out once it's stopped being puffed on...
Manufactures came up with dozens of solutions to meet the criteria - originally - all an FSC cigarette needed to do was put itself out...

There were countless less toxic alternatives that met the criteria
before the E2187 EVA Standard was mandated...

Like - the Fire Prevention Industry wants the cigarettes to extinguish themselves, why would they care if the manufactures use EVA or Non-toxic Plant Starch?

Why would they introduce special piggyback legislation to make it legal not to include the presence of EVA on the label?
It's weird, because IN ALL OTHER circumstances, there is MANDATORY disclosure regarding the presence of any VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds) - Like, just to store EVA you need a special label - AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES is approved as "Fit for Consumption" It's wierd...

So how did they do it - Now, this is where it gets REALLY offensive - "The Paper of a cigarette is formally considered - PACKAGING of tobacco. And SMOKING the cigarette is legally and technically considered 'Not it's intended purpose' "

Literally, get this - in the debates on this topic, one senator used this example: "We use EVA to seal cereal boxes, that's safe because we don't expect children to eat the cardboard."

You follow me here? This new legislation makes a cigarette "tobacco Packaging not Meant for Smoking" ---

So while, the FDA definitely does a great job of Supporting Mansanto and the Pharmaceutical Industry - in this scenario, something is very amiss...

The Fire Prevention Industry HAD NOTHING to do with the E2187 EVA Standard... The just wanted self extinguishing cigarettes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread