Evod Rebuild question

Status
Not open for further replies.

STLJohnny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
MO
Im using 32g Kan 2mm Silica 5/6 wraps and I get 1.7-1.9 everytime.
I use my vamo and a MM to check resistance which is where my .2 diff usually comes into play.
I have rebuilt 50+ of these at around 1.8 as that is my preferred resistance, they all preform well. I recently got my wife into vaping and she likes 2.5.
I don't know what Im doing wrong but I have wrapped all the way from 5 to 11 times in an effort to achieve 2.5 and every time Im at 1.7-1.9. I cant wrap any more than 11 or my coil will be touching the sides.

I hope this is just some stupid thing Im doing wrong but its getting frustrating.
From research I have done I have tried many different methods in case I was wrapping to tight or loose. Including folding the extra wire back up and twisting it.
If I was just using the vamo I would consider it a crappy ohm reader but Ive borrowed neighrsbors MM and still no change.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

look30

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
California
I get 1.8-2 ohm with 5 wraps and 2.4-2.5 ohm with one more wrap. Wife likes the 2.5-ish coil because her spinner works better with higher ohms.
I always use a sewing needle along the Silica when I do the wrapping to avoid over-tightening.
Are you burning the Kanthal before you do the wrapping ( use a torch or just a lighter for that) ? I found it is easier to work with and because it's no longer springy I don't overtighten.

Last edited:

STLJohnny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
MO
I normally do it free hand but have since used a needle in case I was wrapping too tight.
I have wrapped around a 1/16 drill bit completed the assembly and put my silica in last to make sure my coil was dead center and not touching anything.
Toothpicks just to switch up the size a bit, I dont see how this is possible but it must be something Im doing.

HughDaHand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2012
Swartz Creek, MI
That seems very odd to me. I wrap my evod coils around a 1/16" drill bit and a 5/6 wrap coil is 2.2 ohms almost every time. I then pull cotton through the coil but that is just my preferred wick. I cant seem to get my head around 11 wraps of 32ga not being like 4ohm, there must be a short in there somewhere. I did an experiment with 11 wraps of 28ga kanthal and got a 1.4 ohm coil and it barely fit so that much 32ga should be higher than 1.8ohm.

It seems to me that 7-8 wraps of 32ga should be getting you the resistance you are looking for. Maybe try a dry burn and check for dead spots on the coils that might be shorting out.

lilmrsyeti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Alabama
My husband was having a hard time getting mine up to around 2.4 for the evod as well. He tried so many times, he said the heck with it, for me to just go buy some replacement heads! LOL Not kidding...that was the whole reason to buy up the 32 gauge K Wire and wick...was to rebuild heads. He can rebuild Nova's just fine...but for some reason, the Evod he couldn't get it to go above 1.8.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I obviously dont want to use lower and Ive never used 34 but from what Ive read it is very thin and hard to deal with.

Heh... I don't like working with 32ga because I find it hard to work with. I was thinking that if you tried 30, you might find the sweet spot you're looking for. I've only rebuilt a couple of atomizers so I'm no expert, but using 30 on my MT3 coils worked great. You might also find that you don't have to use as many wraps to get the resistance you want.

STLJohnny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
MO
Are you sure the coils aren't touching each other? Using a different number of wraps should always give a different resistance value unless the coils are touching each other and creating a shorter/lower resistance path.

When I do my 5 wraps for 1.8 as desired they dont touch. When I did my research on this issue I saw how many people used the spring method when finished. Basically just taking each end and pushing each end together like a spring and getting the coils as close as possible.
So I make sure they dont overlap but as far as touching because they are close, I can say Ive done it both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread