Not open for further replies.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
I placed two orders of four bottles each from http://highdesertvapes.com

All juices are 10ml 50/50 PV/VG, at 24mg nic.

All bottles arrived neatly labeled with glossy (and thus far, smear proof) labels listing flavor, ratio, nic level, born on date, company name and "made in the usa". Juices are all very light colored, ranging from perfectly clear to amber colored, so I'm assuming there's no color additives used. They were shipped in a padded envelope with a double layer of bubble wrap around them, but I elected for a first class envelope. They also have flat rate box options IIRC. The bottles have child proof caps in a cheerful blue color and a standard blunt dropper tip. The bottles are hard, transparent plastic and they are a little difficult to squeeze.

My overall impressions of all the flavors is that they are very clean, simple flavors. There's no medicinal or chemical taste to them. They smell nice, they taste nice, and they even tend to clean the palette a bit. They're a bit light, so these may not work well in a clearomizer that tends to mute the flavor a bit. The taste is sweet when appropriate, but it's sweet naturally, like the fruits themselves. I can detect no artificial sweeteners in any of the juices.
All of these were tasted on a freshly charged kgo with a regular ole bridged atomizer, blown out and briefly dry-burned between flavors. Vapor production overall was good, and throat hit sufficient, if a little light. As far as I can tell they require no steeping time and are tasty right out of the mail box.

- Batch 1 was ordered 10/3. Bottles born on date is 10/4, and i received and tasted them on 10/9.

Grape: This flavor doesn't claim to be a natural grape, and it isn't. But it's not a cough syrup grape or a jolly rancher grape. This grape flavor reminds me of Laffy Taffy or Now-And-Laters, or a warhead once you've sucked all of the sour powder off. It's not a flavor for everyone, but to me it recalls candy hauls of halloweens past.

Blueberry: This is a very natural blueberry, like blueberries that have ripened to the point of bursting if you poke them when all the tartness has been transformed. It's more like the fruit of the occasional wild blueberry bush than those of carefully raised domestic cultivars. This one is definitely my favorite of this batch.

Kiwi: It doesn't taste precisely like a natural kiwi, but I actually like this better. It's lacking in the tart notes of a kiwi, but it's very fresh tasting, and a bit creamy with a touch of tanginess. It's very clean and pleasant. I get the impression that this is how a kiwi OUGHT to taste, and I'm getting something bred more it's long shelf life than it's flavor at the grocery store, if that makes sense.

Starfruit: I've only had star fruit a few times in my life, but from what I can remember of it, this juice captures the flavor of it very nicely. It's hard to describe it to someone whose never had it, but it's tart and unique.

- Batch 2 placed on 11/11, born on and shipped 11/15, recieved today (10/19). Yes, shipping was a bit slower this time around, but they were having a half off juice sale and were swamped so I am not upset about it. They did the best they could considering how swamped they were.

Plum: like the kiwi, this is lacking a bit in the tartness I personally associate with the common black plum. The flavor is very light, you're almost enjoying the fragrance of it more than the taste. It strikes me as a bit more prune-like than plum like, or maybe even raisin-like. It's very subtle but it's still very nice.

Guava: This juice is incredibly authentic. It tastes just like the guava nectar you can pick up in the juice section of your grocery store. It's sweet and creamy and yummy and I love it and you should buy some. It makes me happy. This also tastes like it would be awesome to mix with other flavors, like banana and/or strawberry, but it's very good all by itself.

Jackfruit: Disclaimer, I've never had a jack fruit in my life. So I cannot comment at all on how authentic it might be. But it is amazing and delicious. It's almost like, a little bit of dragonfruit, and a little bit of strawberry, and it has the creamy chunky kind of TEXTURE of banana but not really a banana flavor. It almost has a bit of smokiness to it that's surprising and pleasant. I love it! I need MORE of it! And now I have to force myself to clean the atty out and try the last flavor..

Prickly Pear: I've never had a prickly pear, either, since it hardly seemed worth the danger to my fingers to collect and prepare one. This juice is good, though perhaps overshadowed by the jackfruit. It's again difficult to describe. It reminds me of a drink I used to get at the convenience store, Sobe "Rain" with agave cactus juice in it. It's just a little tart, and maybe just a little astringent, but it's also creamy and a bit savory. This is probably the most complex of the fruit juices I've tried from HDV. It's interesting, but I can't compare it to any fruit I know of.

In closing, if you like clean fruit vapes, HDV has an excellent selection of unusual and uncommon fruit flavors to try. They're also fun to mix together and experiment with. I mixed up two parts blue berry to one part each of star fruit and kiwi, and the resulting 4ml of "Blue Lizard Juice" didn't last me the day. With high quality ingredients, zero steep time needed, a nice selection of flavors, and frequent sales you really can't beat it, and I'll be picking up more.

Aside from their juice they have great deals on hardware (a 1000mah ego twist for a paltry $20, for example) and an amazing selection of beautiful, unique, indestructible and lovingly handcrafted pyrex glass tanks. And they have one to suit everybody's personality and hobbies. Have a look, I'm sure there's one that has your name on it.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I like HighDesertVapes for their expansive and economical selection of diy flavoring concentrates, but, with the exception of a recent bottle of their RY4 I purchased for an upcoming review on The Really Big RY4 Roundup thread, I haven't had any of their retail juices.

AromaEJuice recently sent me to two samples of fruit juice with WTA: Pomegranate and Prickly Pear. I've tasted pomegranate, but not often enough to have a sense memory of the flavor, and I've never tasted Prickly Pear fruit, so I had no frame of reference to evaluate the naturalness and accuracy of the flavors. The Pomegranate was fruitier and a little sweet, while the Prickly Pear was much more savory and subtle. The WTA kicked up their impact considerably.

I'm not generally a fan of the candied, artificial fruit flavors (think JollyRancher-type juices). A number of vendors make and sell what I consider very tasty and natural fruit ejuices: PrimeVaping and CopperCreek come to mind as two examples, at least for the more common fruits (strawberry, peach, pear, etc.). Backwoods Brew also makes interesting fruit juices.

With simple fruits especially, everything comes down to the source of the flavoring concentrates. Lorann, Capella, Flavorist Apprentice, and FlavourArt are the big names, of course, and most of their concentrates share some similarity, but the newer, and usually smaller organic and/or natural flavoring companies, such as Nature's Flavors, are gaining ground steadily. I have a fair number of fruit flavorings from various Chinese manufacturers, but I haven't tried enough of them yet to offer an opinion.

Although I spend more time focusing on DIY these days than seeking out new retail eliquid sources, it's nice to read that HighDesertVapes is making good retail juice---especially the more exotic fruit juices.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
These aren't fruity but I thought I would add my impression of them to this thread.

I got two more juices from HDV, Peanut Butter Cup & Chocolate mint. Both 24mg, 50/50, born on 11/09 and tried 11/13.

The peanut butter cup is much better balanced than any other peanut butter cup that I've tried from any other vendor. Usually, the peanut butter overwhelms the chocolate to the point that you can't even tell it's in there. this is much milder. The chocolate is still a bit understated but it does noticably take the pungent edge off of the peanut butter. It's the best I've tried so far.

The Chocolate mint tastes exactly like an andes mint. It's scary amazing how well they have captured the taste. Perfect after dinner desert vape. The chocolate is mild and sweet, without that fake chalkiness, and the mint is cooling and refreshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread