Expense Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drevly

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2010
Janesville, Wisconsin
i think rolling tobacco is about $3-$5 a pouch now, and a the larger bags go anywhere from about $9 up to $25. Then you have the roller cost (under $10) and tubes are about $3 a box for 100 ct. I am thinking that ecigs would be a lot more expensive compared to this, but i am not sure mathematically how to figure that out. i would think tho, that all the other benefits from not smoking would weigh it out anyway...worth the extra $. how do you guys feel about that...when the ecigs are actually more expensive? those parts really add up...not so much the juice.

quakereject

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2009
Arizona
It would depend on how much you roll vs how much you vape. Rolling might be equal to or less than ecigs, however I measure my monthly upkeep for my PV in a matter of 3 days.

3 days @ 2pk/cig/day = $38ish (12.50 for 2, it sucks.) This is a high average estimate, alot of times I can sum up my monthly upkeep in 2 days of smoking. Every so often it might be as high as 4 days depending on atties and such.

Weighing that after the initial cost investment is done, then it would depend on usage of rolled tobacco and how much one would get out of a pouch or can, whichever they bought, however I don't think a 6oz can of bugler would last me a month. That's roughly 2 days worth of analogs, cost wise. I believe they come with 200-250 papers in a 6oz can, can't remember exacts.. but that's a carton of normal cigs + a pack or two.

Convenience factor is another thing, it's far easier to buy a pack of analogs than roll them, and having rolled my own at points in my life, even with a roller, it's still much easier to use a PV over rolling. Faster, etc. Time consumption factor reduced.

Then there's the health risks obviously, you'll save money on doctor's visits. :)

Also, for my personal experience, there's saving money on the amount of extra crap I buy at the store when I go to get analogs. I can't speak for everyone, but drinks, maybe some noms, beers, etc. I don't have to go to the store anywhere near as much now, so I'm not tempted to buy all the extra stuff. Again, could just be me, but I'm certain I'm not the only one that buys a drink when getting smokes. Once Freedom Smokes (or insert whatever supplier) starts selling mountain dew, or chips, or some Arizona Teas Arnold Palmers and can ship and deliver in less than 20 minutes... then this goes out the window. :D

Last edited:

JoeD4

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
I was hand rolling for a while before I started vaping. A can of Tops would last me about two weeks @ $16.00. A 30ml bottle of juice is around $15 from my vendor. That works out to $2.00 ahead. Now if I figure on replacing 1 batt and 1 atty per month that would put me about $19.00 behind. That $19.00 a month is a small price to pay for the health benefits and that's assuming I replace them every month, but it's been more like 2 months from an atty and longer than that for a batt. Just to be fair, let's figure 1 batt and one atty every 2 months. That puts me around 8.50 behind. Now I haven't factored in the fact that I would "treat" myself to a pack of Marlboro once a week. $6.00 a pack around here x4 weeks=$24.00 a month-$8.50 leaves ME 15.50 ahead. Yup....I'm saving money! WOOT!!!!

JoeD4

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Posted by quakereject:
"Also, for my personal experience, there's saving money on the amount of extra crap I buy at the store when I go to get analogs. I can't speak for everyone, but drinks, maybe some noms, beers, etc. I don't have to go to the store anywhere near as much now, so I'm not tempted to buy all the extra stuff. Again, could just be me, but I'm certain I'm not the only one that buys a drink when getting smokes. Once Freedom Smokes (or insert whatever supplier) starts selling mountain dew, or chips, or some Arizona Teas Arnold Palmers and can ship and deliver in less than 20 minutes... then this goes out the window. "

Hadn't even thought of that. Plus, we were buying lighters! Just one was never enough for me...I needed 1 for my pocket, 1 for the car, 1 for the coffee table and at least a half dozen for backup. And if I saw a really cool looking one, well I just HAD to buy that....

Last edited:

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
The savings is very significant for me. Hubby and I bought 3 cartons of analogs per week, two for him, one for me. That totaled about $140 per week. Both of our kits came to $124 so we were ahead even on the investment. We are using around 30 ml of liquid per week between us so I'll be liberal and say our juice cost is $25 per week. Not hard to see that we are saving roughly $100 per week and that leaves room for a popped atty or failed battery which we haven't had yet. We'll soon be on our 3 week mark of vaping with NO analogs! Lovin' it!

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Id be saving alot more if I just liked ONE juice and stuck with it - but I like to try lots lol
Once I stop doing that - yeah the savings are big - I spent around $25 -30 per week on a carton of cigs and when I dont buy juice (really i have enough now to last a long time lol) I dont spend a cent.
SO some weeks Im ahead, and others Im behind because I went juice crazy.
I dont factor in the repalcement attys as most of mine last at least a month, average 3 months, so they work out pretty cheap (if I cost them on a per week basis), about the same as a pack of lighters; which I used to burn through, or lose, regularly.
I was ahead again this week until I went mad and bought a bunch of flavors off TV and something from Halo. :D

Oh I just remembered other things I DON'T buy much of now; headache pills (buy a lot less since vaping, I put it down to not smoking, not coughing AND more water)
Cough medicine (no cough)
Teeth whitener (not smoking but coffee still does it but dont buy as much as used to)
Air freshener - dont need to explain that one right? lol

Last edited:

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
I just did this calculation a couple of days ago.

My Marlboro Ultra-Light 100's habit was $400 per month. 2 cartons per week..sometimes more!

My RYO costs were roughly $100 per month for 4 lbs of tobacco and 8 cartons of tubes. I used the Southern Steel Mellow Pipe Tobacco which was not subject to the sin tax so was only $14 per lb...tubes cost me about $2.50 a carton.

I'm figuring my E-cig costs at around 90ml used per month.

I can either bulk buy 50ml bottles for around $12 each for $25 per month cost.

or

at 24mg nic strength-$25 for 60ml of 50mg nic/pg juice, $2 worth of PG and VG, and $20 for flavors(maybe cheaper). Total cost there is $47-50.

or

I can just buy a variety of 9 bottles of 10ml juice for about $5 each..so $45 total.

Any way you cut it..it's still half of what I paid for RYO..and leaves me plenty of room for attys, batteries, etc and even a new mod here or there.

Smokin Joe

Moved On
Apr 20, 2010
Vermont
WOW, they really get you on the price in Australia!8-o I paid $8 for a pack of Marlboro's (just about 1oz of tobacco) which I thought was a lot!

I'm interested to know how much RYO tobacco is in the USA. In Australia it is roughly US$25 for 50 grams (1.7oz?). Vaping is considerably cheaper for me.
I was using 150 grams per week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread