The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Fake AW IMR 18650's

Discussion in 'Reos Mods' started by Mudflap, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mudflap

Mudflap Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 19, 2010
    Tyler, Texas
    If you don't know already, the manufacturer that provides The LavaTube and batteries for Volcano E-cigs, misled Volcano E-cigs about the batteries they provided. They were told that they were AW brand flat top IMR 18650 batteries, but AW notified Volcano E-cigs that AW doesn't produce a flat top IMR 18650, so the batteries they were advertising and selling as AW brand, were in fact, fakes.

Volcano E-cigs is attempting to rectify this issue and whether or not you agree with how they are doing this is irrelevant to the discussion I am starting right here.

I'm posting here to advise everyone to NOT buy AW IMR 18650's from the classifieds section of this or any e-cig related forum. I suspect some LavaTube kit purchasers will try to off load their fake AW IMR 18650 by reselling them.

As far as I know, no one is yet sure who makes the batteries sold by Volcano as AW, or whether or not they are LiMN or Li-ion batteries. If they are Li-ion batteries, it is unknown if they are protected or not. I'm sure this information will be discovered soon enough, but whatever.

Buy your genuine AW IMR 18650 batteries from a vendor or from AW themselves.

P.S. - Don't bother ranting about Volcano here. You can do that elsewhere if you feel the need. They were scammed on purpose but did not intentionally scam their customers, so I wish them luck getting this debacle behind them.

P.P.S. - My advice is just that. Advice. Make your own INFORMED decisions. :)

2. misplacedsooner

misplacedsooner Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    stillwater, oklahoma
    great info mud!! im glad you posted this as i was gonna try to trade a couple of my aw imr 18650s...now i know to put a pic with it if i do,lol.

3. nerak

nerak ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thank you Tripp, important information that needs to be known!!!!

4. mlinky

mlinky ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Kentucky
    Holy cow. Thanks for the heads up Tripp.

5. Mudflap

Dec 19, 2010
    Tyler, Texas
    Looks like the fake AW batteries may actually be unprotected Li-ion. :facepalm:

Thank you to David of Super T Manufacturing for conducting tests and sharing the results. His post is here.

6. Big Hitter

Big Hitter Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    Binghamton, NY
    Thats just plain crappy to copy stuff like that.

Thanks for the info Sir !!

7. amarti

amarti Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 8, 2011
    Dusseldorf, Germany
    I made the mistake and looked at "red" and "IMR" and "Wow, so cheap" and have here now a three double sets of 18350, 18490 and 18650s. They were NOT advertised as "AW" batteries. They have far less "power" than the AW batteries.

Andreas

8. Beans

Beans Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2011
    Missoula Montana
    I jumped to conclusions....Sorry

9. Mudflap

Dec 19, 2010
    Tyler, Texas
    To the best of my knowledge, Volcano E-cigs was duped by their supplier. I don't know about other vendors.

Was the battery you bought advertised as an AW branded battery or just IMR?

10. Beans

Beans Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2011
    Missoula Montana
    EDIT

I was wrong, AW makes a black flat to battery. I jumped to conclusions :oops::facepalm:

11. atom48

atom48 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2009
    Colorado
    Good information. Thank you, Mudflap.

12. olwildbill

olwildbill ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City Missouri
    :thumbs:Thanks for the Heads Up Tripp and since your working Christmas just keep researching for us.

13. washvap

washvap Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2011
    wa
    Read about this in the General Discussions forum but, thanks for putting this up here. It'll save a lot of frustration and headaches for people knowing about the fakes out there.

14. MojiTTo

MojiTTo Full Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Italy
    Thanks man :)
    It is very good when you know why beware.

15. s3anvap3s

s3anvap3s Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    Loganville, GA
    Thanks for the advice. Its a shame that it was needed...but thanks very much!

16. Mr. White

Mr. White Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    IL
    I was following that drama. It's one thing to get duped by a counterfeit. It's another to sell something as legit that the original manufacturer has never made--namely a red flat top 18650.

17. rawrscary

rawrscary Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 3, 2011
    Seattle
    Where can we buy AW batteries directly? I can't find a site for them.

18. unsure

unsure ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

AW Batteries

19. nerak

nerak ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

20. Mudflap

Dec 19, 2010
    Tyler, Texas
    You don't have to buy them directly from China, but if you want to, the information is here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.