Fake Samsung 30Q alert, post #2 of 9 about battery fakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Please read post #1 (link below) before asking any questions here. Thanks!

Eight different fake battery types to report!

The code on the can makes me think they might be 2.75A-rated Samsung 29E’s. This fake looks a LOT like the 30Q and would test out about the same in capacity if a testing charger was used to check it. The top insulating ring was free-floating (not glued on) too.

7220A695-938A-4A25-B082-291B674869EE.jpeg

The counterfeiters are definitely learning! But more we expose them the harder and more expensive their job gets and that is always a good thing.

Right now the top code line printed on the metal can is the best way to spot the fake as it can be seen through the wrap in bright light. I‘m sure the codes will soon be faked too though.

The performance of these cells is miserable compared to the genuine 30Q and the cell will run a lot hotter. If you have any of these fakes, don’t use them in anything!

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    You mentioned in your other recent post that a vendor sent you a box of fake cells that was given to them from a supplier. Does the supplier know these are fake?

What checks are in place with the trusted sources to ensure they are not selling counterfeits? I imagine they are not inspecting/testing every cell that passes through their receiving doors for authenticity. Just curious if there are many hands involved in the distribution chain, what are the chances of counterfeits reaching even trusted sources?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    • Deleted by classwife
    • Reason: Deleted per OP's Request

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Quote deleted

Thanks for the response. That is what I figured but wanted clarification.

As for vendors taking accountability for selling counterfeits – I think that is a great practice to employ, but also fear it maybe 1 step too late. We are not dealing with fake designer bags or sunglasses here – the ramifications could be a lot more serious than just a poor performing vape device.

Last edited by a moderator:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Seems to me that a few hundred dollars worth of test equipment is all it would take.

This is true, but just like processes involved with quality control, the labor involved can be quite costly. How much does it cost to test batches of received cells vs just adopting a return policy?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Seems to me that a few hundred dollars worth of test equipment is all it would take.

It’s the time the testing takes. Ten cells checked would take half a day, at least. That has to be done for each cell type they receive, every time they get a shipment.

They also have to visually check every cell in every box to make sure all of the cells are matching visually. This is a backup to the random spot checks.

This would be the minimum I hope they would do but it would take a lot of time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread