Fake Samsung 30T update, testing is done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Please do not send me photos of your cells for authentication. Check the images in the link below and contact the vendor if you think yours are fake.

I tested 30T’s from four vendors and some sent by vapers (Thank You!). There are at least three different cells being used for these fakes, all performing much worse than the Samsung 30T. The fakes run MUCH hotter and there is a lot more voltage sag.

26F4FB24-6D8E-4131-816A-BB321699CED2.jpeg 176E5EDF-ED4C-4684-961C-CF6E824A83C8.png

I do not know the current or capacity ratings for the fakes and will not be testing them for that. If you have fakes, or think you might, DO NOT CHARGE OR USE THEM.

The cells I bought from Liion Wholesale and IMRBatteries were genuine. The cells sent by EnerDan were genuine (Thank You!). This does not mean I personally guarantee that every 30T from these vendors is genuine! Every vendor could be fooled by fakes at some point.

The third vendor I bought cells from has been contacted and will, hopefully, be posting about their fakes soon. I don’t think this vendor knew they were fakes and I don’t want to call them out here.

Some of the fakes had the white top insulating ring glued on and some had a ring that was loose, not stuck on.

All of the fakes I have use the same “2I22” code on the wrap but there are genuine cells using the same code too. There might also be fakes with different codes.

All of the fakes I have use the same codes on the metal can, “M012 42721 B1 W11”, but there might be genuine cells using the same codes. There might also be fakes with different codes.

Some fakes and all the genuine cells have a band of metal around the cell near the top.

None of the fakes I tested have the four radial score lines in the venting disk under the top contact. All of the genuine cells I tested have these lines.

The venting disk lines seem to be the best way to check for fakes but you need bright light and a magnifier to see the lines. YOU MUST USE A MAGNIFIER AND BRIGHT LIGHT. Earlier reports of genuine 30T’s without the score lines in the venting disk I think all turned out to be false. They were just hard to see.

Unfortunately, I can practically guarantee that the next batch of fakes will have the score lines in the venting disk. This does not mean we don’t expose the fakes every chance we get! Every time we do it becomes harder for them to make better fakes and, eventually, it might just not be worth it anymore. In the mean time, I cannot say this too strongly...buy only from known and trusted vendors.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread