Fat Daddy 510, will it work as is, or is soldering required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
Is the Fat Daddy 510 designed in a way similar to the 510 on a mech mod? Basically I am looking for a 510 connector that doesn't require soldering a wire to the center pin. I want it for the top of a custom tube mod, where as the mod itself supplies the ground, and the battery contacts the positive post directly.

Is this available or am I hoping for the impossible?

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
That's what I am wondering. A bottom firing button, which completes the ground when pressed, is what I am using. If I install the Fat Daddy in the top of the tube, so the battery slides in and touches it, the connection for the positive is made? Or would I need to solder a wire and make a contact plate below it for the battery to contact? I am also assuming that the tube will provide the ground to the Fat Daddy also, right?

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
The bottom screw ring of the fatdaddy 510 does not carry current at all it is isolated. You would have to extend the positive pin; what you could do is use a copper bolt/screw screwed into the positive pin to extend it to your battery. You would have to solder it probably into the pin but fatdaddy gives this easy example video on his site of how to do it with out soldering iron. Just drop a few small pieces of solder in the pos pins hollow end heat it on the stove or use a torch and place copper or brass bolt/screw in it let harden and all good.. Really cool way of doing it video..

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
I'm working on a similar idea. Mine will be switched on the positive side. This is not a Fatdaddy 510 but it's a similar design. I used a 3/32 brass rod to connect to the center pin which I drilled to 3/32 and soldered it in. Then I assembled the spring and outer ring and soldered a brass "plug" made from the shaft of a brass wood screw and drilled with the 3/32 bit. I hope you can see it in this pic. DSCF0055.jpg

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
Classic 510 Inserts....Thees work in the way your wanting

Can you link to those please? I'm not sure what they are. I ordered a few of the chi you tops though.

nevermind that post. Google is my friend! Thank you for that!! A few bucks cheaper and will go in a custom top cap. I like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread