FDA approved ecig???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TnA

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
correspondence with ElectrikBlue:
How do you justify your claims? All you have is FDA registration as an ENT inhaler, and its not legitimate as related to your claims. I'll be filing a complaint with the FDA. You're giving the industry a bad name at a time when it can do permanent damage.

Elektric Blue reply: Hence why we say medical device and not the cartridge. We are just trying to sell a product to help people stop smoking. This product will be regulated in the near future at no fault to me or you, just like nicotine water, gum, patch, etc… If you feel you must try to harm one of us out there, then I guess do what you need to do. That really isn’t a positive or nice thing to do as I would never wish ill will on anyone. It isn’t our company that is giving the industry a bad name. It is Lobbyists from the tobacco Industry. This will be a regulated industry because of the nicotine in the cartridges, as we do have an application in for the nicotine cartridge also and expect an approval in less than a year.

My reply: It's one thing to sell a device that may help smokers quit, but another to make claims that haven't (at least not yet!) been proven. This is a very sensitive issue for legislators, lobbyists and the FDA. The sad truth is manufacturers and suppliers making these claims without controlled studies are feeding into the prevailing 'anti' attitude, which may make approvals more difficult to obtain. Use of these unproven claims is one of the FDA's complaints with the e-cig industry. We have enough to deal with in a society with strong anti-anything-that-resembles-a-cigarette sentiment, compounded by Big tobacco and Big Pharmaceutical lobbyists. We shouldn't also have to contend with manufacturers and suppliers amplifying the problem.

I don't wish you ill will, and hope you get your approval. But I believe that how you and others in the business handle yourselves at this point in time is critical to the industry's survival.

Nice job ramblingrose. Well written/worded! :thumb:

bg458

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2009
Don't get me wrong I am not defending this guy in anyway. But I read a post awhile ago that that somebody could not wait till the day they could go to the local corner store and pick up an atomizer some batteries and liquid. Would we not have to go through the process of having many vendors with different products then (anologs have different brands). I picked up a pack of anologs a week ago and made a comment to the clerk of how bad smoking is and her response was it can't be that bad everyone does it? Once again I am not defending him so please don't jump on me.8-o

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
Got a responce similar to TnA got

I would rather not get into a heated discussion with you as it is counter productive for both of us. We do not have false allegations on our website, as we have spoken to the FDA on numerous occasions. Hence why we say medical device and not the cartridge. We are just trying to sell a product to help people stop smoking. This product will be regulated in the near future at no fault to me, you, smoking everywhere - just like nicotine water, gum, patch, etc… If you feel you must try to harm one of us out there, then I guess do what you need to do. That really isn’t a positive or nice thing to do as I would never wish ill will on anyone. It isn’t our company that is giving the industry a bad name. It is Lobbyists from the Tobacco Industry. This will be a regulated industry because of the nicotine in the cartridges, as we do have an application in for the nicotine cartridge also and expect an approval in less than a year. And Trust me we are not a fly by night company. This is only one division of my companies investment firm. We are here to stay.

I'll respond back later, but the blatent lie of being FDA approved will really come back and bite us in the .... eventually.

Jodans

Sep 29, 2009
Burlseon, TX USA
With more and more suppliers showing up, making claims that are obviously not on the up and up... my concern too grows for how this looks on the industry and what can be done regarding suppliers making such claims who are not ECA members.

While I am very new to E-cigs and this forum it really isn't hard to see that this truly is a problem , not just for suppliers but for PV users in general.
In my opinion the only thing that can really deal with companies that make such claims would be to play 'hard ball' with them.

Notify them of what they are doing wrong, as I have seen done here already.
Educate them on the requested course of action to rectify the issue. So far while I have seen several instances of people saying "You are not FDA approved, only registered." I have not seen a specific shot of, "Our only issue with your company is the statement you make on your page that you are FDA approved, if you remove (insert false information here) from your site, then you would be helping the cause." or whatever.
If they continue to refuse, then start reporting them to any and every agency that is able to take direct action against them.
Basically, do what you can to shut them down before they do more harm.

Honestly, even though I am saying it, I do not like the last step of trying to have someones company or website shut down. However, being that the PV community is basically walking on eggshells (my interpretation) whatever we are capable of, and is necessary to ensure the survival of PVs should be done.

This being said, I do have concerns about my own ideas. If we take these websites and/or companies and report them to the FDA I feel it can be taken/interpreted in two ways.
The first (though not most likely IMHO) is the FDA will see we are actually TRYING to police our own community to ensure that no false claims are made that would be seen as violating FDA standards.
The second, (IMHO most likely) option is the FDA will collect these reports of violating websites/companies and use them as ammunition to say, "Look at how many sellers are claiming this is a medical device to aid in the cessation of smoking! This MUST be stopped for the safety of our children!"

Either way, I think the community as a whole, or majority should decide what we will do about such things. Maybe an issue to deal with when CASAA is up and running?

Just my 20 cents, and my apologies if this is worded in a confusing manner.

Last edited:

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
I just wanted to stop in and let everyone know that nycsublime girl has commented (not regarding the ECA's position, but Bloogs) and being on the board, she is aware, but I also have forwarded this thread onto the ECA for review.

With more and more suppliers showing up, making claims that are obviously not on the up and up... my concern too grows for how this looks on the industry and what can be done regarding suppliers making such claims who are not ECA members.

Lacey,

I'd be very interested in hearing what Matt's take is on this and what ECA finds out. Maybe they will be more forthcoming with the ECA.

plantlvr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2009
Northern California
Look at this information on their "News" page:

"Smoking has a wide variety of negative health effects and can affect nearly every organ in the body. But the organs that are most adversely influenced are your lungs. Of course, as everybody knows, your lungs help you breathe."

I always wondered where the air went when I inhaled, and now I think I know.....the lungs....who would have guessed?

See? Who needs TV or newspapers when you can get that kind of news on the internet?!?
LMAO! Oh man what an idiot! Shut 'em down I say!!

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
I think what these guys are doing, and what some of us are missing here...is that he is stating "FDA Approved". In a court of law, unless he says WHAT specifically is approved, he can get away with saying his application was approved. Therefore, any "misunderstandings" or interpretations are liable to only those that assumed he meant his products. Even if he says "Approved as medical device" and only *meant* his application was approved...its complicated but none the less aggravating.

It sucks everything is so technical these days, it leaves wayyy too many loopholes, and ways to trick the public.

Im glad people are doing their part to stand up to these word-players! Thanks guys!

:)

Last edited:

Okio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
**The Elektric Blue Electronic Cigarette is FDA Approved as a medical device. This product does contain nicotine which has been proven to be highly addictive. This product may not be used by individuals under the age of 18.

How do you mean Jepp? by saying "The Elektric Blue Electronic Cigarette is FDA Approved" he's not actually saying his electronic cigarette?

newkirk

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
North Carolina
They have now changed it to FDA registered instead of approved......:)
Hmmm, they did that on the main page, but the header on the first FAQ page is "*FDA Approved as a Medical Device*".

They also claim "The vapor contains mostly water, and trace elements of nicotine and 'propylene glycol.'" What is the likelihood that this product produces a vapor that is "mostly water"... I can sympathize with the desire to downplay the PG given public knee-jerk reactions but not with lying to achieve that. (Or do they really not know???)

j

CrazyTerrie11

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
W. Valley/Phoenix Arizona USA
Nice Jim.....they also claim you get 50% off your first order but when I got to the checkout process.....the point where they wanted my CC number it didn't give me 50% off. These guys are a total scam and give the e-cigarette industry a bad name.

Gee, that sounds exactly like my first attempt with the ecig from "smoke assasin" (did they change there name??) However it did last a whole 10 minutes before it died a total death, never to be revived again and I thought maybe if i got one that really worked i might like it. I found this forum, started vaping in august and never looked back. It all started with the words "FREE" and "a five pack of cartridges are equivilent to a WHOLE CARTON" of regular cigs........RIGHT. Just part of the normal learning curve it seems....:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread