FDA Deeming Regulation - Info and Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Jessica*

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2013
Waverly, Ohio, USA
I was already a member of cassa but i forwarded cassa's press release to my local TV stations and newspapers. Hopefully everyone else is doing the same and it will draw attention to the positives of ecigs and maybe people will see them for what they really are. I can honestly say ecigs saved my life and made my Daughter very proud of her Momma :) I think the fda just needs to mind it's own business and stop filling people's heads with lies, 99% of what they say isn't true or proven about ecigs. However, even if they were true, we should still have the right to make a choice, our health is just that... OURS. Regardless this is much better than the alternative and dying of cancer. I have often thought about where my juice is coming from... there are so many home run or small juice vendors out there and we honestly have no idea what the conditions are and whether they are taking the precautions that need to be taken, im not saying all home run/small vendors are unsanitary, or are not doing this properly, I'm saying we just don't know which ones are and which ones aren't...so I'm a little unsure on what side I fall on regarding company's having to produce documentation etc...I know this would be very hard for a lot of the smaller or home run business's and that is the drawback, I think the fda should come up with a better solution, one that doesn't leave a lot of family's unemployed because they had to shut down there business. BUT, It would be nice to know that the liquid I'm buying is coming from sanitary conditions and everything is being handled properly. Does anyone else agree with that? Or have you thought about the cleanliness of the place we are buying our juices from?? Just curious :)

Last edited:

Newb4

Apr 23, 2014
Atlanta, GA, USA
In my opinion this is a classic case of our government pushing away small business for big business. I'm not a economy / business expert, but seems to me that big business is lining the pockets of our lawmakers with cash in turn for tipping the scales in their favor. I am not opposed to e cigarettes being taxed, and I think most of us aren't. I do however oppose over-regulating it to the point that only big business can participate, just like everything else the FDA is involved in.

My views may be flawed, but I think that the FDA's views of electronic cigarettes are more than flawed, I think they are corrupt. It would make perfect sense to regulate things, to protect the consumer, but why would you make regulations that can only be met by a handful of big businesses ( most likely tobacco producers )? My gut tells me that its personal gain, and if not, political interest. There is no dirty money to be made off of small business for lawmakers, but I would bet there is PLENTY of dirty money to be made off of your big tobacco companies.

Also, we are in a country where every lawmaker and politician has to make decisions based on what all his buddies (his party) want to happen just to earn the votes. This is where a ton of problems are created in our government, because no voters vote based on issues, and no politicians will solve the issues they promised. Welcome to the two party system of America, Its one side or the other, and neither one is fighting for our best interest.

I am starting to get sidetracked from the main issue here, so I will end the rant :) BUT to everyone who reads this, you don't have to be a genius, or a politics nut. Just STAND UP for what you believe in, and try to make a difference, spread the word, join together. This country was founded on those values, and it seems the majority of us have lost them. This is a big issue when it comes to E cigs, but it goes a lot farther and a lot deeper than just your nicotine addiction, this is your COUNTRY we are talking about.

Biggame

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Alabama
I am already a member of CASAA, and hAve familiarized myself with the proposed regulations. some sort of oversight or regulation could be a good thing. Unfortunately what the FDA has proposed is a sham meant to benefit the tobacco companies and large corporations. What would be positive regulation would be a list of approved ingredients that could be used and marketed as eliquid. But forcing companies to submit an approval process for every liquid they make is obviously meant to put great companies like Madvapes out of business, so that the tobacco companies can come in and corner the market. Hopefully everyone on ECF will stand up and fight for their right to vape freely.

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
Got my order from Mad Vapes yesterday, well packaged and great stuff! I got a Nimbus, a KFL +, and a drip tip.

They will last forever, and are part of my insurance that I will be able to keep on vaping if the worst happens. (Huge taxes, a ban on internet sales, prohibitive registration costs, etc).

I am spending a lot of time making sure that everyone in our area knows that vaping is a very good thing, but that we are being threatened by BT, BP, and politicians who want huge taxes.

levisdaddy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2012
tucson
Thanks MAdVapes!!

The deeming regulation, as much as i despise the thought of the government encroaching on our industry, is unavoidable. I feel all we can hope for is minimal restrictions. The one thing, the only thing, that i hope is positively impacted is safety standards. it would be nice to know just how safe each component is, and how we can minimize our health risks as we continue to vape.

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
I'm loving the KFL + I got from MadVapes. It's only the second coil I've built, and it works! While I was building it, I was really glad to know that the FDA won't be able to regulate Kanthal and cotton balls as tobacco products, and they won't put high taxes on those things. I'm also starting my collection of Mech Mods. While I don't plan on sub ohming, at least they will work without having to rely on electronics. I am getting kicks for them as well.

I just can't believe that the government is going to do it's best to take this freedom away from us. If it starts to look like nicotine and juice are going to be difficult to get, I will have to start stocking up on unflavored nicotine too.

If the government really wanted us to quit smoking, they would be promoting e-cigs, not villainizing them.

utfire

Apr 28, 2014
Roosevelt, UT, USA
Thanks MadVapes!
I see these regulations as a ploy to get the big business types (Big Tobacco / Big Pharmacy) into this new billion dollar industry; also see this as laying the ground work for the government to capture the funds they are loosing as smokers leave the tobacco and start vaping. There is really no other reason to classify this as a tobacco product; the excuse that it's because of the Nicotine is a smoke screen (pun intended). I hope more people will get involved we need to make as much noise as we can; I've written letters to Senators and Congressional reps; State Senators and Reps; we need to make as much noise as the people that are trying to ban or change this industry. It's obvious that this is about money not saving lives.

vap3d70

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2012
hudson valley ny
I dont need to read the 241 pages the report to know that the FDA is not and will never be on the side of us vapers.
The only things they will do that will be helpful to us, is if they actually inspect facilities where juice is made, and the common sense requirement of warning labels (Personally I feel they are useless but trying to stay PC here)...
Pretty much everything else will eventually kill off every vendor with the exception of the big tobacco companies version of ecigs.
Of course we should be able to trust the same companies that intentionally try to produce a more and more addictive version of their products that used to kill us... after all, they wouldnt spend all that money lobbying against current ecigs if they werent planning on releasing their own safer versions right???

Last edited:

rsimpson

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2009
MB, South Carolina
I too joined CASSA, but i didn't do it to try and win a contest; rather I joined because I see this as the best way to combine my voice with others to try and protect my rights and the rights of others. Like many here I don't necessarily see regulation as a bad thing as long as it is done in a way that protects the consumer rather than big business or to put additional taxes in the coffers. Unfortunately, big business is the guy with the most lobbyists in Washington and has the political clout to shape the landscape to their benefit. I'll get off my soap box, and go grab another cape.

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
Rather than requiring all the testing by the FDA, it would make more sense to have quality control in the same way as anyone who produces food for public consumption. States could have spot checks the same way as they do for restaurants, bakeries, and people who make food at home for resale.

This would ensure that the liquids are being produced in sanitary conditions, (at least as sanitary as what you buy to eat), and that the companies are using decent ingredients. As the inspectors go out to the restaurants and other food providers, they could go to the e-liquid providers at the same time.

Of course we all know they aren't really worried about our safety, so that will never happen.

Pilot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2013
Kansas City, MO, United States
The only part I go along with is the over 18 part. The rest I dont get. It seems someone is saying this is not a great thing? It has stopped me from smoking. Maybe that is the problem. Big tobacco has again lobbied against this too. I DONT GET IT!!! I also dont want it!!!. All the high costs associated with anything gov are stupid.

Rburne1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
In my opinion this is a classic case of our government pushing away small business for big business. I'm not a economy / business expert, but seems to me that big business is lining the pockets of our lawmakers with cash in turn for tipping the scales in their favor. I am not opposed to e cigarettes being taxed, and I think most of us aren't. I do however oppose over-regulating it to the point that only big business can participate, just like everything else the FDA is involved in.

My views may be flawed, but I think that the FDA's views of electronic cigarettes are more than flawed, I think they are corrupt. It would make perfect sense to regulate things, to protect the consumer, but why would you make regulations that can only be met by a handful of big businesses ( most likely tobacco producers )? My gut tells me that its personal gain, and if not, political interest. There is no dirty money to be made off of small business for lawmakers, but I would bet there is PLENTY of dirty money to be made off of your big tobacco companies.

Also, we are in a country where every lawmaker and politician has to make decisions based on what all his buddies (his party) want to happen just to earn the votes. This is where a ton of problems are created in our government, because no voters vote based on issues, and no politicians will solve the issues they promised. Welcome to the two party system of America, Its one side or the other, and neither one is fighting for our best interest.

I am starting to get sidetracked from the main issue here, so I will end the rant :) BUT to everyone who reads this, you don't have to be a genius, or a politics nut. Just STAND UP for what you believe in, and try to make a difference, spread the word, join together. This country was founded on those values, and it seems the majority of us have lost them. This is a big issue when it comes to E cigs, but it goes a lot farther and a lot deeper than just your nicotine addiction, this is your COUNTRY we are talking about.

You are most certainly right. This while thing is because big tobacco feels threatened by the little guys and their e-cigs. Every time someone says the common "e-cigs are unsafe, I saw it on the news" I point out that the cig-a-like they are referring to is one that big tobacco owns and is using to turn people away from big tobacco. I've been a member if CASAA for a few months now, not to mention I'm a CASAA Regional Representative in my area. I make sure to show people the truth when it comes to e-cigs. I hate when people get so drawn into an issue like this and choosing the wrong side because they don't know anything about the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
You are most certainly right. This while thing is because big tobacco feels threatened by the little guys and their e-cigs. Every time someone says the common "e-cigs are unsafe, I saw it on the news" I point out that the cig-a-like they are referring to is one that big tobacco owns and is using to turn people away from big tobacco. I've been a member if CASAA for a few months now, not to mention I'm a CASAA Regional Representative in my area. I make sure to show people the truth when it comes to e-cigs. I hate when people get so drawn into an issue like this and choosing the wrong side because they don't know anything about the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, don't forget BP with their failed attempts at NRTs. How many millions of dollars do they stand to lose if everyone figures out that their products don't work, but e-cigs do?

Of course, then there are the states, who made their budgets dependent on tobacco taxes, and settlements.

There is too much money to be lost to allow things to continue on the way they are. :(

SinisterRaccoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
Raccoon City
One of the local colleges here used to have smoke huts and allowed Vaping in class, depending on the professor. This year they have gone smoke free and replaced all the huts with trees.... AND they classify Vaping as smoking, so they are banned as well too. I am all for going smoke free as that is our main focus in Vaping, however, the fact that some people believe that it is more about public opinion rather than the facts of Vaping is not helping the cause.

With that rant out of the way, the way I tend to see things is in terms of money. There is money to be made by regulation and taxation. If there is enough money to be made that it makes a fight worth while, well then regulation is on the way. It doesn't need to be bad,and should it become ludicrous, we can always diy.

. . .

vapomike

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Hickory, NC (USA)
I understand the 18 and over issue. We all need to support CASAA with getting out valid info on vaping. Many people and entities are misinformed on the benefits of vaping. I don't really fear regulation or taxes. I just don't want them to be overly taxed or regulated to the point of non existence. I think the hearing today was very positive and hopefully holds good things for the vaping community.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Crowedude654

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Today is the last day to be entered into the giveaway. We're going to wrap it up around 12PM today. Also, there won't be a contest next week because I will be out of town, but we'll start right back with another contest on May 26! Another thank you goes out to everyone who participated and thank you for being patient for these 3 weeks. This thread will remain active and will act as a source of info regarding CASAA and the regulations. Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread