Not open for further replies.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Dear [Recipients],
As a voter, taxpayer constituent, and advocate for electronic cigarettes, I am deeply concerned about FDA's plans to extend their regulatory powers to cover e-cigarettes. Evidence is coming in from around the globe confirming that the availability, variety, and use of these products is contributing to the decline of smoking rates. Numerous public health advocates have come out in support of these products, even stating they should be promoted by public health agencies.
Given the incredible promise that e-cigarettes hold for millions of people, I think Congress needs to find out (1) why CDC is actively engaged in misinforming the public about the risks associated with non-combustible, nicotine containing products like e-cigarettes, and (2) why FDA has proposed regulations, based on inaccurate and misleading scientific claims, that would completely destroy the consumer-driven e-cigarette market and hand over the remnants to the traditional tobacco companies.

I was able to quit smoking and not return to it because of the variety of products available. If I had been limited to just those products available in 2009, I would have probably returned to smoking.

I started smoking a bit over 30 years ago when I joined the Army. Smokers got two extra breaks back then. After Basic Training, I switched to a pipe because I liked the flavor better.

I got a simple e-pipe on Friday November 2. Put my analogue aside and from that point on, tobacco tasted more of the tar and ash than the flavor I fell in love with 30 years ago. I have not smoked since and have not felt the need to.

On the surface, the FDA’s proposed regulations are described in terms of protecting public health and safety. Upon closer investigation, they constitute a de facto ban of all vaping equipment with the exception of low quality options currently mass produced by established tobacco companies. The FDA’s own estimates say that these regulations are expected to eliminate 99.9% of the products on the market because their manufacturers cannot afford the paperwork burden that would be imposed on them. Such a loss of variety, quality, and innovation would mean many people would be forced to consider returning to smoking and/or acquire products on a newly created black market.

The administration has repeatedly called for sound science and transparency of government. (For example, http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/ostp_public_access_memo_2013.pdf) Yet, the regulatory process being pursued by the FDA is based on misdirection and innuendo dressed up as science. The scientific basis put forth by FDA for proposing these devastating regulations is filled with inaccuracies and misstatements which constitutes an arbitrary and capricious abuse of the FDA's regulatory authority and a breach of public trust.

In addition to ignoring some of the most important scientific considerations, the FDA cites sources that do not support the claim being cited and misrepresents sources. The FDA also presents speculation as fact where it suits its agenda and, by the same token, presents established facts as if they were mere conjecture when those facts are not consistent with the FDA's agenda. An ongoing collection of these errors is available from the Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association (CASAA), a public health and education 501(c)(4) consumer group (of which I am a member).

Likewise, the CDC has been actively misrepresenting data and pursuing a political agenda not based on sound science, including misleading the public regarding the impact of vaping on youth as well as the risks associated with the use of vaping and other low-risk alternatives to smoking. (Please see www.blog.casaa.org/2014/05/casaa-submission-to-us-senate-committee.html for more information.)

The FDA and CDC have repeatedly demonstrated their intent to reduce the availability, quality, and use of vaping equipment. They are apparently unconcerned that vaping has proven to be an effective method for hundreds of thousands of American smokers to quit smoking, substituting an alternative that is estimated to be 99% less harmful than smoking. They have repeatedly presented misleading interpretations of data and are paying to have misleading data created.

Their actions will place the safety of vaping into the very hands of the industries that have continued to ruin our health with smoking and smoking cures.

As a consumer, I am appalled by the FDA's and CDC's actions in misleading and misinforming the American public. I am asking you, as my elected official, to call for congressional investigative and oversight hearings to examine the FDA's and CDC's actions in connection with developing regulatory policies involving e-cigarettes.
I look forward to your response on these issues. I, along with my fellow members of the Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association (CASAA), hope you will act to safeguard the interests of the American public by demanding answers to why the FDA and CDC seem to embrace misinformation and sensationalized claims rather than craft regulations based on sound science.
Thank you!
Your message for "Ask members of Congress to Hold Congressional Hearings Regarding the FDA and CDC Actions" was sent on 06/13/2014 21:08 PM to the following recipients: President Barack Obama (D), Vice President Joseph Biden (D), Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL), Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), Rep. John Mica (R-FL)
Thank you for taking action on our issue.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
They do if your Senators and Rep want your vote. Might mention how much larger your meets are getting or the vapor bash you went to and this weekend the Vape Con in Las Vegas. Not only do you vote, but your family votes as well as your friends who all are so happy that you quit by using these vaping products that the tobacco companies do not provide adequately just like pharma's silly NRT's that are so ineffective. It's not only vapers but their extended circle of influence......Adds up at the ballot box. :D

SURGEON GENERAL

Aug 10, 2010
aq
Done. Plus, I went to FDA's official Web site, printed it out on a piece of paper and used it as toilet paper. Fear not, it's recycled toilet paper - 100% organic. I also had explosive ........ this morning, consequently, after eating a bunch of one dollar tacos with a bunch of hot sauce last night. But don't you worry, my ........ was 100% organic.

Then I left it burning on FDA's doorstep.

No, I haven't really done that. But whenever I go to sleep, I will do it in my dreams and meet Will Ferrell dressed up as the Gladiator from the 2000 movie in Russell Crowe's armor, battling a mexican wrestler named Fernández in black spandex tights. Right then after, the FDA will pay horrendously. I hate them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread