Feeling like a noob again

Status
Not open for further replies.

feldwin

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
Ft Worth Texas
I'm 4 1/2 months in (started with a cig-a-like, then ego - e-power - provari) and now I want a bottom feeder. I'm suffering from info overload just like when I first started. I'm looking at the reo, glv3, vmod and the surge tank. I've watched so many reviews my brain is starting to leak out my ears. What are your views on each. Pros and cons. Also, feel free to add others to the mix (sure, confuse me even more) if you have any other suggestions.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Pros and cons.

I don't have much to say about the surge tank. I think it's one of the better ideas I've seen in a long time, but... the price tag is a bit of a shock. A C-Note seems pretty steep for an add-on device.

The GLV-3. That's a nice device and has a solid following. They hold their resale value as good or maybe better than most high-end mods. Again, the price tag is on the high side for a device with plastic components. And, availability is often an issue. Every time I've tried to buy one, I was unable to.

The V-mod. I bought one and used it for a few days. It looks nice - vapes well - and the feed system isn't too difficult to get used to. I like the price tag a lot. The major con for me was that it's plastic. It is slid in to an aluminum shell (and you can get the shells separately so you can have a color for every mood) and it feels pretty good once it's all put together. But, my lifestyle is really tough on plastic devices. It wasn't for me.

The REO. Great device. I have a REO Mini and a REO VV Woodville. The REO VV Grands will be for sale in probably 4 weeks. If you are seriously considering a REO, and since you've already used an advanced device, I think you should wait for the VV Grand. My VV REO Woodville is one of my two most favorite PVs. I can't give you any cons on that one. They don't exist... I guess, though, since I mentioned it for the other PVs, I should say that $205 was a little hard to part with for a single device. I don't know what the price will be on the VV Grands. I do sort of expect them to be a little less than the VV Woodvilles, but any guess would be pure speculation.

Two other feeders to throw in the mix just to make things more difficult:

If you think wood is an acceptable build material for your next mod, The Boggers Box Mod is a superb wood bottom feeder and a really good value. They do have a VV model, but it can get just about as expensive as the VV Woodville (depending on what wood/options you choose) and the VV isn't nearly as easy to use as the Woodville. It requires a little screwdriver (provided with the mod), and I've been told the opening for the screwdriver is tiny and a little hard to use.

The other is not a bottom feeder, but rather, it's a top feeder. The VVPV from notcigs is my other favorite device. I can't say enough nice things about it. There are two cons I can list, but neither one has anything to do with the device itself. The first is the drip tip adapter. You have to buy it separately. The other con is that it looks like it is still taking notcigs as long as three weeks to build and ship some of them. It's worth the wait, but it's good to know that ahead of time.

patch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
nyc
Pros and cons.

I don't have much to say about the surge tank. I think it's one of the better ideas I've seen in a long time, but... the price tag is a bit of a shock. A C-Note seems pretty steep for an add-on device.

The GLV-3. That's a nice device and has a solid following. They hold their resale value as good or maybe better than most high-end mods. Again, the price tag is on the high side for a device with plastic components. And, availability is often an issue. Every time I've tried to buy one, I was unable to.

The V-mod. I bought one and used it for a few days. It looks nice - vapes well - and the feed system isn't too difficult to get used to. I like the price tag a lot. The major con for me was that it's plastic. It is slid in to an aluminum shell (and you can get the shells separately so you can have a color for every mood) and it feels pretty good once it's all put together. But, my lifestyle is really tough on plastic devices. It wasn't for me.

The REO. Great device. I have a REO Mini and a REO VV Woodville. The REO VV Grands will be for sale in probably 4 weeks. If you are seriously considering a REO, and since you've already used an advanced device, I think you should wait for the VV Grand. My VV REO Woodville is one of my two most favorite PVs. I can't give you any cons on that one. They don't exist... I guess, though, since I mentioned it for the other PVs, I should say that $205 was a little hard to part with for a single device. I don't know what the price will be on the VV Grands. I do sort of expect them to be a little less than the VV Woodvilles, but any guess would be pure speculation.

Two other feeders to throw in the mix just to make things more difficult:

If you think wood is an acceptable build material for your next mod, The Boggers Box Mod is a superb wood bottom feeder and a really good value. They do have a VV model, but it can get just about as expensive as the VV Woodville (depending on what wood/options you choose) and the VV isn't nearly as easy to use as the Woodville. It requires a little screwdriver (provided with the mod), and I've been told the opening for the screwdriver is tiny and a little hard to use.

The other is not a bottom feeder, but rather, it's a top feeder. The VVPV from notcigs is my other favorite device. I can't say enough nice things about it. There are two cons I can list, but neither one has anything to do with the device itself. The first is the drip tip adapter. You have to buy it separately. The other con is that it looks like it is still taking notcigs as long as three weeks to build and ship some of them. It's worth the wait, but it's good to know that ahead of time.

six is absolutely right! it does not sound as if you have any experience with notcig's devices, but i too have the VVPV and a buzzpro. in some ways, i do miss the bells and whistles of the digital display that go along with the provari (which i also have), but the notcigs devices are durable and offer a spinwheel for 'adjusting to taste.' i tried to get a VV woodvil the day of the sale and after two hours of humping around the website i was not able to put in the order. if strictly bottomfeeding is what you are going after, then i do think the upcoming VV grands will be your best bet (also with notcigs circuitry).

with bottom feeding you will have to get the hang of the 'sqonking' technique to wet your atty; the VVPV, topfed, provides closer to a traditional dripping experience--but in truth, neither feeding technique is particularly tough to get use to.

if you do get the VVPV, definitely do yourself a favor and get a 510-510 sealed adaptor, drip shield, and drip tip adaptor. i can say that the quality of vape has been more consistent with the VVPV than any reos that i have had my hands on (user error most likely-squonking is not the best for me). also, if you do decide on the VV grand, get ready to park yourself in front of your computer the release date (6/12, i believe) and pray to the vaping gods that the server will take your 200 bucks rather than the next vaper's, haha.

patch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
nyc
in terms of consistency of the vape, i would compare the VVPV right there with provari. the other thing is, if you are use to vaping at 6 volts, the notcigs devices can only go up to 5.5 volts under load; probably not a big deal if you go down to standard resistance atomizers rather than the the 3.0 Ohm high voltage standard.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
wow, six and felwin, just looked up the GLV-3--never heard of it before--it looks like a very cool little device. too bad it is not variabe voltage; otherwise, it seems extremely versatile!

I've wanted a GLV3 mini and a GLV3 in a top feeder configuration on and off for a long time (at least since they came out pretty close to 10 months or a year ago). Every time I've noticed someone post that they got one, I've hurried off to GLVs site to discover they're sold out. At this point, now that I have the VVPV, I don't think I'm in the market for the GLV3 any more. Being VV and all metal (not to mention less expensive), the VVPV is the better value. The other features (pass through charger and juice feed pump specifically) are icing on the cake and make the choice between the two even easier.

feldwin

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
Ft Worth Texas
Thanks for the response guys. I was leaning toward the GLV (I like that you can get it as a top or bottom feeder) but every time I have looked at them, they are sold out. I'm not thrilled with the looks of the reo but it seems to be the best built and most durable. I suppose functionality and quality outweigh looks, but the color choice and availability are hit or miss. I may have to look a little more at the VVPV. From what I have read and the reviews I have seen, I don't think any of these would be a bad choice. Thanks again. Now I'm off to check out some VVPV reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread