Few DIY Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaskanGopher

Jan 9, 2020
Hello, I am relatively new to the whole DIY scene, only starting back in October. I have accumulated a few questions over the past few months.

1. I’ve noticed there’s a few flavors that include Vitamin E (TFA Key Lime for Example), I know that lots of people got sick from vaping it so should I even consider using them?

2. I want to mess around with Label Making for my bottles, something similar to brands such as Ruthless and Naked Juices. I know that is a lot harder than using a simple label maker, but I want to mess with designs and cool looks for bottles. (I am currently purchasing 60ml Gorilla Bottles)

3. I came across a weird issue with one of my recent mixes (less than 24 hours ago from posting). I mixed two bottles (different flavors, same ratios) and one of them after about 12 hours had a powdery film over the top. In the past I’ve seen small air bubbles trapped at the top of the bottle, but this genuinely looks like “Powder” and not air bubbles. Is this something that ever happens with a bad mix? Flavors: TFA Orange Cream, FA Blood Orange, TFA Rainbow Sherbert, LB Orange Banana, TFA Lemon II, and a few drops of TFA Koolada

Thanks for any Help.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hello, I am relatively new to the whole DIY scene, only starting back in October. I have accumulated a few questions over the past few months.

1. I’ve noticed there’s a few flavors that include Vitamin E (TFA Key Lime for Example), I know that lots of people got sick from vaping it so should I even consider using them?

, LB Orange Banana, TFA Lemon II, and a few drops of TFA Koolada

Thanks for any Help.
Welcome to efc. I just checked the tfa website for the key lime and it does NOT list any Vitamin as an ingredient.
If you are buying already mixed flavorings and the vendor is listing any type of oil or vitamin and you have heard the news that oil kills, why would you even consider using it?

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
Welcome to efc. I just checked the tfa website for the key lime and it does NOT list any Vitamin as an ingredient.
If you are buying already mixed flavorings and the vendor is listing any type of oil or vitamin and you have heard the news that oil kills, why would you even consider using it?

Yeah, it does: Ingredients: Natural and Artificial Flavors, Propylene Glycol, Ethyl Alcohol, Vitamin E.

Link: Perfumers Apprentice - Key Lime Flavor **

However, I highly suspect that it's a trace amount used as a preservative, based on the fact that it's the very last ingredient in the list. Personally, I've used TFA Key Lime for years, and will continue to use it. It's not something I use at a high percentage in a mix. Big difference between a tiny amount in flavoring, and cutting liquid with a large percentage. The dose makes the poison. But everyone needs to make their own decision.

AlaskanGopher

Jan 9, 2020

Yeah the website doesn’t say anything, but the ingredients on the flavor bottle says it does. I’ll probably just throw it out before I forget and use it.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
About the "powder" thing... can you pour it into a small glass and take a picture of it (use light from behind... backlit)
I'm not familiar with "Koolada" but is it possible they use crystals in solution and some of the crystals didn't dissolve? I am totally guessing. Is it possible it was something in the empty bottle? Look at any other bottles you have from the same source.

• Agree
Reactions: Marper

Marper

Moved On
May 20, 2019
About the "powder" thing... can you pour it into a small glass and take a picture of it (use light from behind... backlit)
I'm not familiar with "Koolada" but is it possible they use crystals in solution and some of the crystals didn't dissolve? I am totally guessing. Is it possible it was something in the empty bottle? Look at any other bottles you have from the same source.
That's what I was thinking, yeah you can dissolve koolada crystals yourself but I can't understand why it would float to the top,I'd check your bottles out for contaminates first, never had any problems like that with my mixes and I've used koolada

AlaskanGopher

Jan 9, 2020

I’m going to look at it again after I return home, but all of the flavors I put in there I have used in other recipes before; just not in this combination.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Could see: Can You Really Vape Your Vitamins?
2. I want to mess around with Label Making for my bottles, something similar to brands such as Ruthless and Naked Juices. I know that is a lot harder than using a simple label maker, but I want to mess with designs and cool looks for bottles. (I am currently purchasing 60ml Gorilla Bottles)
Great, go for it.
3. I came across a weird issue with one of my recent mixes (less than 24 hours ago from posting). I mixed two bottles (different flavors, same ratios) and one of them after about 12 hours had a powdery film over the top. In the past I’ve seen small air bubbles trapped at the top of the bottle, but this genuinely looks like “Powder” and not air bubbles. Is this something that ever happens with a bad mix? Flavors: TFA Orange Cream, FA Blood Orange, TFA Rainbow Sherbert, LB Orange Banana, TFA Lemon II, and a few drops of TFA Koolada
Could be caused by many reasons. Could read: Chemistry | What is Titration? | CTG Clean

• Informative
Reactions: gerrymi

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
For Flavor Apprentice you can get a more detailed description of the ingredients here.

Perfumer's Apprentice

TFA Key Lime uses <0.01% of Vitamin E. In comparison, the Vitamin E Acetate that was used in illicit THC carts was between ~50% and 90%

As @Iron Molly so well put, the dose makes the poison. And also agree that people need to decide for themselves.

I use TFA Key Lime quite regularly in 1 to 5% ranges.

No comment on the powder – perhaps clean your bottles before use. TFA Koolada is already dissolved in 90% PG, I can’t see how any kind of reverse effect could take place.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Yeah, it does: Ingredients: Natural and Artificial Flavors, Propylene Glycol, Ethyl Alcohol, Vitamin E.

Link: Perfumers Apprentice - Key Lime Flavor **

However, I highly suspect that it's a trace amount used as a preservative, based on the fact that it's the very last ingredient in the list. Personally, I've used TFA Key Lime for years, and will continue to use it. It's not something I use at a high percentage in a mix. Big difference between a tiny amount in flavoring, and cutting liquid with a large percentage. The dose makes the poison. But everyone needs to make their own decision.
I really did check their site and did not see it on the list but its there now. I personally have never used this flavor so am unfamiliar with it.

Reactions: Iron Molly

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
@Punk In Drublic
From your link to tfa:

I don't see where it says <0.01% of Vitamin E. It just list it as a non-flavor ingredient.

SPECIFICATION SHEET

Contains Natural and Artificial Flavors

Key Lime Flavor **

Distributor's Name

The Flavor Apprentice ( The Perfumer's Apprentice )

170 Technology Circle

Scotts Valley, CA 95066

www.perfumersapprentice.com

831-316-7137

PHYSICAL DATA SPECIFICATIONS

COLOR/APPEARANCE:

OPAQUE YELLOW LIQUID

FLAVOR/ODOR:

KEY LIME TASTE AND AROMA

PURITY (TERPENES ONLY):

N/A

BRIX:

43.2 TO 53.2

REFRACTIVE INDEX:

1.4060 TO 1.4268

LBS/GALLON:

8.52 TO 8.60

FLASH POINT:

92F

CONTAINS ACETYL PROPIONYL :

NO*

CONTAINS ACETOIN :

NO*

STORAGE CONDITIONS/BEST BY

STORE IN A TIGHTLY CLOSED CONTAINER, AWAY FROM HEAT AND DIRECT SUNLIGHT.

PRODUCT CERTIFICATION

ALL INGREDIENTS CONTAINED IN THIS PRODUCT ARE APPROVED FOR USE IN FOOD IN A REGULATION OF FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION, UNDER DIRECTIVE (EC) 1334/2008 OR ARE LISTED ON THE FEMA GRAS LIST. FLAVORS ARE PRODUCED IN AN FDA CERTIFIED U.S FACILITY OPERATING WITH EITHER BRC STANDARDS FOR FOOD SAFETY OR FSSC 2200 FOOD SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM AS WELL AS ISO 9001 QUALITY SYSTEM, USING ONLY FDA CERTIFIED INGREDIENTS AND FOOD GRADE PACKAGING

MATERIAL ORIGIN: COMBINATION SYNTHETIC AND/OR PLANT

GOODS IDENTITY/END USE: MANUFACTURED FLAVORS FOR FLAVORING FOOD PRODUCTS

NON-FLAVOR INGREDIENTS/ALLERGENS:
PROPYLENE GLYCOL, ETHYL ALCOHOL, VITAMIN E / Allergens: None
* BASED UPON THE MOST CURRENT INFORMATION AVAILABLE FROM THE MANUFACTURER

seal2.gif

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@Punk In Drublic
From your link to tfa:

I don't see where it says <0.01% of Vitamin E. It just list it as a non-flavor ingredient.

SPECIFICATION SHEET

Contains Natural and Artificial Flavors

Key Lime Flavor **

Distributor's Name

The Flavor Apprentice ( The Perfumer's Apprentice )

170 Technology Circle

Scotts Valley, CA 95066

www.perfumersapprentice.com

831-316-7137

PHYSICAL DATA SPECIFICATIONS

COLOR/APPEARANCE:

OPAQUE YELLOW LIQUID

FLAVOR/ODOR:

KEY LIME TASTE AND AROMA

PURITY (TERPENES ONLY):

N/A

BRIX:

43.2 TO 53.2

REFRACTIVE INDEX:

1.4060 TO 1.4268

LBS/GALLON:

8.52 TO 8.60

FLASH POINT:

92F

CONTAINS ACETYL PROPIONYL :

NO*

CONTAINS ACETOIN :

NO*

STORAGE CONDITIONS/BEST BY

STORE IN A TIGHTLY CLOSED CONTAINER, AWAY FROM HEAT AND DIRECT SUNLIGHT.

PRODUCT CERTIFICATION

ALL INGREDIENTS CONTAINED IN THIS PRODUCT ARE APPROVED FOR USE IN FOOD IN A REGULATION OF FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION, UNDER DIRECTIVE (EC) 1334/2008 OR ARE LISTED ON THE FEMA GRAS LIST. FLAVORS ARE PRODUCED IN AN FDA CERTIFIED U.S FACILITY OPERATING WITH EITHER BRC STANDARDS FOR FOOD SAFETY OR FSSC 2200 FOOD SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM AS WELL AS ISO 9001 QUALITY SYSTEM, USING ONLY FDA CERTIFIED INGREDIENTS AND FOOD GRADE PACKAGING

MATERIAL ORIGIN: COMBINATION SYNTHETIC AND/OR PLANT

GOODS IDENTITY/END USE: MANUFACTURED FLAVORS FOR FLAVORING FOOD PRODUCTS

NON-FLAVOR INGREDIENTS/ALLERGENS:
PROPYLENE GLYCOL, ETHYL ALCOHOL, VITAMIN E / Allergens: None
* BASED UPON THE MOST CURRENT INFORMATION AVAILABLE FROM THE MANUFACTURER

seal2.gif

Perfumer's Apprentice

From the list, beside the flavour you wish to look up click the "List" link (not the SDS US)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Reactions: Iron Molly

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I do not see Vit E mentioned on that sheet you linked, but below is a screenshot from TFA. States CAS # is 1406-18-4 unless I am reading it wrong.

View attachment 862621
Yea, I see I linked the one with the key lime flavoring. opps. OK. But it seems the key lime is made from lime oil itself and oil is not a good thing to vape either. I know each to make up their own mind and all.
Thanks for your help.

• Agree

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Ok,so what is d limonene, that's at 1 to 4 percent cause tfa in there wisdom decided not to say the exact amount, it's an oil from the skin of citrus fruits, I can't find anything about it being vit e but in my book that's damn close, check it with wiki
D limonene is a lemon oil flavor made from the skin of citrus fruits. I shy away from anything that actually is made from oil. Just my 2 pennies.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread