Figuring out the Smoktek Polyfill Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
It looks like not much of anyone is interested in getting Boge to make lower-res cartomizers as per my pathetic attempt at making a petition to see if they would comply with a community-wide request.

So, it looks like you'll just have to deal with it like I'm dealing with it.
Why am I dealing with it?

I like 3.7v because I like mechanical mods. They're reliable and durable... but I don't like CE2's and I don't like atomizers so really, the only thing I find that satisfies me and makes sure that I really don't have to do anything is to punch a cartomizer and put it in a tank, then use the appropriate voltage to get them to vape well.

I've said in a previous thread that I have been using smoktek cartos in my mods for quite some time, and I have. On my recent order though... I hit a box that was rather peculiar. The poly-fill seemed to be thinner and more puffed up. I instantly realized that this is what you guys were talking about so I'm on a quest to see if I can't figure them out and make good use of them anyway.

So, how am I dealing with the new thick pillowcase-like smoktek poly-fill?

Well, as well as I can. Here's what I've been doing.

-----

The Liquid:

The new poly-fill makes these cartos difficult to wick into. Anything under 50% PG is going to fight with you. I tend to use 70/30 PG/VG juice, that's 70% PG and it works fine. I also have some 85% PG juice and it seems to work fine.

These still take quite a bit of liquid, I notice that it still holds more than my Boge cartomizers when condom-filled without overflowing. This is really strange considering mine are the same height as my Boge cartomizers and the Smoktek polyfill is tighter. So on the initial fill-up, do a bit more than usual to assure that it soaks well and avoid dripping directly into it, that doesn't tend to work very well on these now.

-----

On the first few hits:

When you first start hitting the cartomizer, brace for impact. It will probably be gurgly and it will probably burn after the first five hits or so. Here's the weird part. After an hour or so, I've noticed that the cartomizers tend to level out and normalize into very consistent hits. This makes me think that the poly-fill surrounding the coil either burns or there's some sort of primer on the coil that burns first. I don't know which is true but the longer you puff on it, the better it seems to get.

If you're using a tank, punch larger holes or cut larger holes than you normally would. These are dense cartomizers now thanks to the new polyfill and they take a bit of doing to soak correctly. I've gone through a few of them thinking they just were broken and were never going to wick only to find out that through a few cartomizer changes that they just weren't leveled down enough in juice to begin wicking from the tank. It takes around thirty minutes to an hour for these to begin wicking from my tanks from the initial condom-fill.

-----

Flavor:

The flavor, after the cartomizer tends to level out, around two hours after is absolutely fine. The draw is different from my Boge cartomizers but the flavor doesn't seem to change too much. The only real difference I can seem to find is that while Boge cartomizers hit the ground running, these new Smoktek cartos have an hour or so of break-in time before they level out.

-----

Now onto the subject of how long they last. I don't know as I've only had two days with one. What I do happen to know is that after the first day, nothing seems to have changed. They're rather consistent now. I haven't had any really dry hits or wet hits or gurgly hits. I just get a standard old-fashioned cartomizer flavor and they seem to be doing fine. I have had a bit of a tight draw on one of them but all I did was stick a syringe needle down into the carto and move it around a bit and it seemed to open the draw up quite a bit and it hasn't changed since I did that so that fix seems to be plausible.

-----

So, lets live with it. Until Smoktek changes them, it's what we're stuck for < 2.0ohm vaping in carto-tanks with unless you want to go vape Bauway cartomizers and I'm not entirely sure that anyone wants to vape Bauway cartomizers as they seem to be even worse.

On the subject of Boge selling 1.8 cartomizers from a few sites, some of them DO come out at 1.8, 2.0, and even as high as 2.4. I've had a few 2.4 cartos from Boge that were advertised to be 2ohms. Boge seems to be only consistent with their cartos if they are at 3ohms, and just about every single one I get that is advertised at 3ohms comes out at 2.9ohms, which is acceptable if advertised at 3.

But it's not as if the Smoktek's are any better. These I've got in this box are supposedly 1.7ohms and only one of them reads correctly. The rest are 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0ohms... but it's still less than or equal to 2.0ohms.

-----

So take your pick, either quit using Smoktek cartos and use the more reliable and user-friendly Boge but deal with the resistance or continue dealing with Smoktek's latest polyfill gamble. I'm having a rather enjoyable vape on this 1.7ohm ST carto. It's holding up, for the time being. On my next order from COV, I will be ordering a mixed bag of ST and Boge cartos and I think it will remain like that for a while... at least until I get a kick and drop Smoktek altogether and just vape Boge 3ohm cartos until the kick dies, but we can't all do that, some of you guys have eGo's and like your resurrectors. I do too, I just wish they hadn't had to change things.

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
Smoktech XL 1.7 ohm burns just fine witn my all vg. Like any carto I've tried, these seem to filter the flavor a bit, but a big throat hit.

How are you getting it to soak well? All VG seems like it would hit the new filler like ramming into a brick wall.

Gerbil

Feb 9, 2012
New Mexico
The two things that seem to help me make filling a carto with high/100% VG liquids less painful are adding a couple drops of distilled water to the bottle - about 5 drops to a 10 ml bottle, and before the first fill, running the bottle under hot water until the liquid warms up a little and thins out. Seems to almost completely cut out the time that I sit there staring at the carto, waiting for the liquid to absorb. After that initial fill, the carto happily soaks up the liquid without having to warm it up.

Zeth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2011
Philadelphia
I've tried the break-in theory with the Smoktechs and I don't really buy it. Are you sure you're not just getting used to the weird flavor? That tends to happen in many vaping situations. I do still have a couple boxes though, so I'm up for anything.

When you realize the 1.7 smoktechs meter to 1.9-2.0 on average, it makes the switch to Boge a lot easier mentally :)

hrtim

Jan 25, 2012
Austin, tx
Sine 99% of my vaping is with tanks, I use a lot of the Smoktech pre-punched cartos.
Fully, 20% of them are bad out of the box. No matter what you do they taste burnt. I expressed this at my local vape shop and they just nodded their heads and said, "That's about right".
One vendor will take them back, one won't. I sort of write them off to my laziness because I won't buy better, higher priced cartos and punch them myself. I figure they are cheap enough to justify using, warts and all.
I do however, pre-fill them with a syringe and try them out before they go into a tank. This saves me a lot of hassle if they are BOB.
Methinks, at the price point they are sold, there is not a whole lot of QC goin on.
For some reason, Jerry Lee Lewis jumped into my mind as I was typing that. (look him up all you young whippersnappers)
Sometimes, I get 6 weeks of good vaping out of one. Others last a week or less.
So, I take it in stride and go on with my life.

I do collect them as they die and try to revive them by a good ultra-sonic bath in Everclear. Success rate there is about 25%.

Mechanical, electronic, biological, it all wears out and dies. I just try to accept it and ease on down the road.

Sorry. I didn't really address you original topic about the new polyfill.

I don't have answer other than try some experimenting. If you do find a fill technique or some untried method that works most of the time, we all would like to know.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread