Filter Paper Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

molimelight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
Columbia, MO
I recently started three new batches of PG soaks for maceration of pipe tobaccos after getting away from it for a few years. Previously I used an Aeropress with one of these two filters after the first press with the Aeropress filter:

macerations-11-30-18.jpg

Ahlstrom Quantitative Filter Paper, No 74, 7cm Diameter
This is described as a standard ashless quantitative filter paper, 2 micron.

Ahlstrom 6420-0700 Eaton-Dike Filter Paper, 2 Micron, Medium Flow, Grade 642, 7cm Diameter
This one is described as a qualitative grade of filter paper, 2 micron.

It's been three years since I last did it and I can't remember which one I used and really can't even remember why I bought two different 2 micron filter papers. Anyone have any information as to the difference between these filter papers (such as the difference between qualitative and quantitative) and which one would be best used for the final filtering of a macerated tobacco mixture? Thanks for any help.

Reactions: stols001

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I'm no expert but to the best of my understanding: Both qualitative and quantitative grades of filter paper are equally effective at filtering out particles that are at or above their retention rating (2 micron for your filters). Quantitative filter paper (also called ash-less filter paper) is typically selected when the captured precipitate (particles) will be studied/analyzed. The cellulose used to make quantitative filter paper is acid washed so the paper will leave no residue (ash) when burned. Since both filter types you have are rated at 2 micron retention both will will yield the same purity extract, I'd just use the one with the fastest flow rate.

molimelight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
Columbia, MO
I'm no expert but to the best of my understanding: Both qualitative and quantitative grades of filter paper are equally effective at filtering out particles that are at or above their retention rating (2 micron for your filters). Quantitative filter paper (also called ash-less filter paper) is typically selected when the captured precipitate (particles) will be studied/analyzed. The cellulose used to make quantitative filter paper is acid washed so the paper will leave no residue (ash) when burned. Since both filter types you have are rated at 2 micron retention both will will yield the same purity extract, I'd just use the one with the fastest flow rate.

Thanks so much for the information. That helps a lot. I won't have to worry about it for about six weeks, but I'm glad I have some extractions on the way. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread