Cellulose vs Borosilicate Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
I have an experiment involving dozens of extractions coming to completion soon, ranging from pipe blends to cigars, and also a range of individual leafs. I've decided this round to use a vacuum filtration apparatus. However, I am undecided on filter media.

Whatman has a series of cellulose filters I am leaning towards, starting with larger micron rating and eventually going down to grade 5, which is 2-3 micron.

I was interested in possibly going down to 1 micron but that would involve borosilicate filters.

My question is related to the safety of different filters. A lot of these filters are for lab use, not necessarily vaping. For example, Whatman cellulose filters come in a variety of ratings, such as general purpose, qualitative, quantitative, or ashless. Anyone familiar with Whatman and have a recommendation?

Also, regarding borosilicate filters, I wonder if trace borosilicate fibers end up in the finished extract and if these pose a risk? There are binder free borosilicate filters or filters with binders. I am wondering which is more suitable?

Finally, I wonder if there is a consensus at what micron level to filter down to?

Thanks,

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
I have decided to use cellulose filters. So far, I have been able to filter down to 11 μm using a vacuum filtration apparatus. To filter the VG extracts at 2 μm, it would take several days, which is time I don't currently have.

The PG extracts I am able to filter down to 2 μm in a reasonable length of time under certain circumstances. In the case of heavy Latakia extracts, it is very thick and difficult to filter down to 2 μm.

• Informative
Reactions: Mordacai

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Please let us know what the results are @CAAB.

Because as far as I know, I don't think that any commercial organisation goes to the extents that you are with the filtration process.

So it's going to be interesting, as will it extend coil life by reducing coil gunking.

And my apologies for being no use when it comes to filter media, I did try looking into things. But information was a little sparse. But the only thing that I do know, is that borosilicate is at least inert.

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
And my apologies for being no use when it comes to filter media, I did try looking into things. But information was a little sparse. But the only thing that I do know, is that borosilicate is at least inert.

No worries, I will be happy to report results. I am in the process of filtering 24 extracts, some pipe tobaccos, some cigars, some individual leaf varietals. For each tobacco there is a PG extract and a VG/PGA blended extract. I intend on comparing the two for flavor and coil life. They have been sitting for a year steeping and are now ready for processing.

I plan on doing a separate thread on the whole experiment. It's become a bit complicated in terms of equipment. A few trips to Lowes and Harbor Freight...

Sadly I have to wait until the end of the year to sample anything, can't have nicotine in my system for a while.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Mordacai
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread