First Atty Back From the Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

antism

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago Suburbs
A few months ago I was on my way to meet a buddy up for drinks. Happily vaping nearly the entire time there, I would set my 510 on my lap in between puffs. After parking the car I did some shifting to grab my license from the glove box, forgetting my 510 was in resting position in my lap, and it rolled in between my seat and middle console. I didn't realize it was gone until I was ready for some much needed drunk vaping. D@MN!! Had to go buy analogs to get me through the night (BLECH!!).

Moving on, I found the 510 while cleaning my car a couple months ago. I was too happy to add the parts back into my mix, only to find the batt wouldn't hold a charge. I blew out the atty and cleaned the threads pretty well, but it was still like sucking a grape through a coffee stirrer. :-x Vapor production was nil, flavor gone, throat hit nonexistent. My perfect record with atomizers was tarnished. So I threw it to the side and haven't touched it...until today.

So what brought back the beast? No soda/vinegar/water baths. No running water. I've never used these methods, and have never had issues. I usually blow them out daily and clean the threads once or twice weekly. Instead, I took a tip I heard from this forum some time ago, I can't remember who posted it, unfortunately, but you know who you are so THANKS!!

I primed it with a couple drops, did a few puffs to try and burn away what build up I could, then blew it out with the thunder! I used the tip of a safety pin, pushing it (VERY LIGHTLY) through the top hole until I hit major resistance, and cleaned the side holes with it as well. I again did a couple drops, burned a bit away, and blew it out even more. It now vapes like champ! Great vapor production, the flavor is better than the atty I've been using since I lost it, and the throat hit made me cough on first puff. My perfect record is BACK! :w00t:

antism

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago Suburbs
I used the pin to to clear out any build up that had dried in the top hole. The side ones didn't require much attention, not that you have much space to work with anyways. There wasn't much scraping involved. I was too afraid I'd absolutely destroy the thing to muscle it.

I didn't do a dry burn at all. I made sure to drop some 36mg PG before I heated it a few times, then just blew it out as best as I could. This was both before, and after, the pin "cleaning."

Last edited:

Fud

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2009
Hawaii
It doesn't take much work to throw the attys in alcohol overnight while you are sleeping and not vaping and do it ever few days instead of letting sludge build up.

Think of it this way if you have a shopvac you can empty it all the time but if you don't clean out the filter and wash it it will not preform either and keep degrading in suction.

Same thing if you don't brush your teeth don't be suprised if cavitys show up.

BTW what were you doing driving drunk?

Nestran

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Rhode Island
It doesn't take much work to throw the attys in alcohol overnight while you are sleeping and not vaping and do it ever few days instead of letting sludge build up.

Think of it this way if you have a shopvac you can empty it all the time but if you don't clean out the filter and wash it it will not preform either and keep degrading in suction.

Same thing if you don't brush your teeth don't be suprised if cavitys show up.

Wow, now that's some FDA logic right there. He went to have drinks so he must have been driving drunk. :lol:

antism

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago Suburbs
Standard daily cleaning and I haven't lost an atty since June. If I EVER have sludge build up, I'm not taking care of my investment. At least that's how I see it. No one should let it get to that point...BLECH!!

Who said anything about driving drunk?! Tough laws in this state: One DUI and you get the privilege of blowing into one of these bad boys any time you want your car to start.
418hE7msKgL.SL500AA280-main_Full.jpg

Forget that noise!

-ant

telsie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Maryland
Awesome tip! I frequently blow through the bottom and side holes of the atty, but I've never tried poking them before. So I tried it. I didn't even do the bottom hole, I just used a paperclip to poke the side holes and HUZZAH! Vapor production is back up and it seems like a new atomizer. I'm so excited because I've only been getting about two weeks with my atties before vapor drops off and I end up swapping them out.

I'm away from home right, but I'm totally going to do this to my other used ones when I get home and see if it revives them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread