Picture of the coil

3578760F-982B-4AF7-A3C5-8AB54EF57BAE-8100-000004F2F556C551_zpsb7c8c065.jpg

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
So this is my first coil and I'm burning my cott wick. The coils aren't perfect but they heat in the middle and then out to the sides pretty evenly. I tried to not use too much cotton so I wouldn't choke off the wick. What did I do wrong?

Did you prime the wick with juice completely, before firing it? It tales a while for the cotton to become fully saturated.

vang0gh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Plainfield, IL, USA
It does take a bit of practice, but once you get it right becomes easy to replicate. From the photo, a couple of things do come to mind. First the cotton looks a bit thin; at least on the right side of the coil. When the wick dry and your first putting it in, it should more or less fill the hole in the coil, but still be narrow enough to slide back and forth easily. Also, in the photo, the wick going into the coil looks too dry. When vaping, it should be well saturated; like the cotton nest at the back of your RDA.

Ride394

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Oxford, NJ
I would pull the wick, dry burn, and while the coil is glowing red, let off the button and quickly pinch that coil together with tweezers. Hold it until it cools and it should hold it's shape. Then install a fresh wick. A little thicker this time. You should be GTG.

Did that and the coil looks better, but I'm still getting a burnt taste. I'm trying for a thicker coil but I thin I'm doing it wrong. Do you have a pic of your cotton before you put it in the coil?

C063BD55-5717-4C68-BD30-7508513CE7EF-8278-000005032A115E66_zps5baeca4a.jpg

Ride394

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Oxford, NJ
Are you making sure the air hole lines up with the coil? Flavor and vapor are usually an airflow issue unless the coil has hot spots (shorts). Sounds like you have the bugs worked out of the coil build, just make sure to position it as close to the airhole as possible.

Yup. I've put the air hole right next to the coil and also put it as far away just to see if it made a difference.

jiveman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
usa
just build another coil, don't bother with it if you've already burnt cotton on it and this time make sure you soak it real good before firing. and make sure you're dripping enough and not letting it get too dry before your vapes, get a nice little pool of liquid on the bottom in there. that wick looked like it was probably just pinched cause it was too thick.

that's the common sense answer.

otherwise i'd suggest just having one long wick so it wicks properly. if you just throw a bunch of extra cotton on there it doesn't always wick properly.

and just cut the wick on the side that hangs next to the cap wall.

Last edited:

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
what size bit or needle are you wrapping on??
I am not an expert here, but it seems most (for micros) are using 1/16" (16g.) or 20g. to do the wraps.
coil on mine is 1/8" or hair higher off the floor
I am using 20g. syringe needle - 1 short leg of cotton down to floor on 1 end , other end around the back side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread