First Coil Build On PT2

Status
Not open for further replies.

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
I hadn't intended on building coils, I was happy with the stock ones I was getting for my ProTank2. They provided good vapor and flavor, and I suppose I must be one of the lucky ones, because I never had a problem with leaking / gurgling / dry hits, etc. I was getting about a week maybe more on a coil depending on the juice I was using, so I figured for 2 bucks, it was a bargain.

One thing I had intended on doing was re-wicking a coil with cotton, because I had read good things about doing that. Well. I was at my local B&M buying another PT2 along with some other goods, and on a whim, I asked if they had some kanthal wire. They did, and I wound up with about a foot length of some scrap wire for free. I am assuming it was 30ga. I got home, and there it sat while I watched a couple of YouTube vids on the subject.

I am happy to say, my first coil came out fine. 6 wraps on a mini screwdriver shaft, installed, and wicked with cotton in the coil, as well as some flavor wicks. It came in at 1.7 ohm resistance. It was as pretty and neat as can be too. Needless to say, I am a happy camper!

Some impressions and observations:

1. Making my own coil was easy peasy. This was my first attempt, and it took me under 10 minutes to do with great results. I was a bit skeptical about building at first, mostly about the time to benefit ratio, but it turns out, it is no trouble at all.

2. I am not suddenly getting "clouds" of vapor, nor is my juice now 100's of times more flavorful. There is a slight difference for the better flavor wise using the cotton wicks. I am getting the same amount of vapor as I was getting with the stock coils, which is fine with me.

3. The PT2 is performing as it should. No dry hits, good vapor production, no leaking, and good flavor. To be fair, I have to add that this is how my PT2's had been performing all along with the stock coils, except I was changing them once a week.

All in all, it was a good experience, and I will continue to build coils like this for my PT2's. I figure I am saving about $100 per year doing this, which makes it worth my time. Thanks to everyone here at ECF as well for the knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread