First coil build photos: help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'm just starting to build my own coils. I have so far done a dual coil build on a derringer clone RDA which has worked out great. The problem I'm having is with my Aromamizer. I'm getting a really horrid taste. It isn't a burnt coil taste so initially I thought it was perhaps machine oil since I hadn't cleaned out the tank before I used it. However, I have given it a clean now and put in a new coil and still it tastes bad. Since this is only the second and third time I've ever built a coil I'm thinking maybe I'm doing something wrong.

My first build was a dual coil vertical. It ohmed out at .43 which was what I was aiming for. I've included a photo. Perhaps I have done something glaringly wrong that, as a noob, I can't see myself. Unfortunately I haven't got a photo of the wicking but I followed a Rip Trippers tutorial pretty closely and I don't think the wick was wrong. Other than the bad taste it vaped perfectly.

I ripped out that build, washed everything thoroughly and put in a different build altogether. I thought maybe my coils were getting hotspots or burning the cotton so I figured I would do a completely different build and try a single coil and chances would be lessened that I would encounter the same problem. As before, everything went smoothly, it ohmed out at .93 which was right were I wanted to be again and it is vaping great apart from the fact it tastes awful. I've included a photo of the current build including the way I wicked it.

The taste is a metal, dirty kind of taste. I can't explain it a whole lot better than that. I hope I can get to the bottom of this. I had high hopes for my first RTA.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Fire.the coil with no cotton in it. Look for bright red spots near where the wire goes into the posts. The taste you mention sounds like you have a hot spot or hot leg. When you fire the coil you'll see it if it's there. You'll see bright as hell red while the rest of the coil doesn't glow.

Let us know whether or not you have a hot leg or spot and we'll try to help further.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
I should have mentioned that with the first build there was no hotspots or hot legs at all. It glowed from the middle out as it should do too. This build I'm not so sure about. It does glow from the middle but the legs also glow red. Should this not happen at all? Even if the glow is spreading from the middle?

How am I able to stop the legs glowing? So far I've used the strumming method and tried to make sure coil is evenly spaced. I'll take a closer look at it in the morning and take a photo so you can see it whilst it's being fired.

Dextrose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hello @Waxxiii :) also what kind of wire are you using and so on, i did have a person at work come to me with about the same question, it turned out that the place he bought the wire just threw some crap wire on a spool and sold it to him, there was actualy a little oil on the wire.

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

manthe

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
Winter Park, FL, USA
In my experience, hot-spots don't so much 'taste' as they 'feel' - if that makes sense. I mean, yes - ultimately a hot spot will cause the vape not to taste right at all - but for me, when I've had hot spots it's more like a overheated/burning type of feeling (usually on my throat). Honestly, from what you describe, I would still suspect that you have some machine oil in there somewhere. Believe me, I've had some bouts with EXTREMELY stubborn machine oil! I've had instances where I had to completely disassemble a device and scrub it with a toothbrush 6, 7...8 times! No exaggeration. It can get caught 'inside' the posts (e.g. Remove the post screws...clean them too while you're at it!), underneath o-rings, inside the 510 shaft (e.g. Remove the 510 contact, the insulator, etc.), use soap and warm/hot water. Actually' toothpaste and/or baking soda works well too. Good luck!

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Try washing your wire in washing liquid and hot water before making a coil to get the grease off it.

When i wash my rta's/rda's for the first time i also take the post screw's out and try an get a little washing liquid inside the post's but be warned that if you don't rinse it all back out properly with lots of fast running hot water you will get a funky taste from the liquid :D

You might be able to fix your hotlegs by re-inserting your mandrel back into the coil and giving the coil a pull upwards to get some tension in the coil.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I should have mentioned that with the first build there was no hotspots or hot legs at all. It glowed from the middle out as it should do too. This build I'm not so sure about. It does glow from the middle but the legs also glow red. Should this not happen at all? Even if the glow is spreading from the middle?

How am I able to stop the legs glowing? So far I've used the strumming method and tried to make sure coil is evenly spaced. I'll take a closer look at it in the morning and take a photo so you can see it whilst it's being fired.

you can try double back on the leg to make a thicker leg; especially on the positive side.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Were these new RDAs? If so, that IS your main suspect - from the taste you're describing, it could be the machining oil from manufacturing the rda. Hot water won't do it, boiling won't do it, alcohol won't do it - you have to use soap.
Dove dish detergent should work. Just wash and then rinse really well, and try again...
Good luck!

Reactions: Waxxiii

melodiousThunk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2009
san francisco
Yeah, machine oil is probably the culprit. I wash most RDAs/tanks 3 times. Large run attys are usually dirtier, and I'll sometimes have to toothbrush w/ dawn dish soap, soak in alcohol, and/or boil to get rid of all the machine oil.

But the other thing that you could be tasting is your wire. Washing it is a good idea which has also been mentioned, but depending on whether your wire is Kanthal or SS or nichrome, you may be tasting the wire as well. Many vapers don't taste the wire they use, but a certain percentage will get a metallic taste from SS or Kanthal, depending on their individual palates.

I love SS, but it tastes metallic to me for the first couple hours. The taste is a lot like the taste you get when metal is arcing or you have hot legs. If you eliminate all the other potential causes by washing everything, you might try running a tank through it to see if the taste goes away.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty sure now that it is machine oil. I've given it another clean with a toothbrush and got into the parts I may have missed before. The taste has almost gone. It's still there so I may need to give the tank a vodka bath but I'll run a full tank through first, as suggested, and see how it's doing then.

Another quick question. Would the Aromamizer manage max VG juice ok? The 70VG I have in at the moment is fine but I'm wondering if it would be fine with 70VG and above?

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
Were these new RDAs? If so, that IS your main suspect - from the taste you're describing, it could be the machining oil from manufacturing the rda. Hot water won't do it, boiling won't do it, alcohol won't do it - you have to use soap.
Dove dish detergent should work. Just wash and then rinse really well, and try again...
Good luck!
So far I have just used hot water. It's much better but I think I'll have to crack open the dish soap to get the taste gone completely. Thanks.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I'da thought 100%vg would be fine although ive nvr tried myself but i bet once the tank gets up to working temp the vg will loosen up and wick as well as pg, maybe someone else can tell you for sure though, i'm vaping 75% in mine atm...

Waxxiii you will defo need to use wash liquid to get rid of the oil/greese, hot water isnt enough on its own :)

Also, one other thing i noticed is your coil leg that is passing through the post hole looks rather long, try and cut them as flush as can with the posts, does it look possible that your legs are touching the inside of the chimney when you put your rta together? could possibly be another reason for that taste ;)

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
I'da thought 100%vg would be fine although ive nvr tried myself but i bet once the tank gets up to working temp the vg will loosen up and wick as well as pg, maybe someone else can tell you for sure though, i'm vaping 75% in mine atm...

Waxxiii you will defo need to use wash liquid to get rid of the oil/greese, hot water isnt enough on its own :)

Also, one other thing i noticed is your coil leg that is passing through the post hole looks rather long, try and cut them as flush as can with the posts, does it look possible that your legs are touching the inside of the chimney when you put your rta together? could possibly be another reason for that taste ;)

Ah, I see. I'm waiting for my coil making kit to come from Fasttech so I'm currently using these huge clumpy wire cutters. They are not great for precision work for sure. I'll see if I can snip a little closer and give the tank a full clean with washing up liquid.

I've been looking forward to trying some liquids that are 80VG and above. I haven't bought them yet since I didn't think my Subtank Mini would do well with them and I don't drip often enough to warrant buying a juice purely for dripping.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
@Waxxiii to get in nice and close to the post, try a pair of small nail clippers should be able to get right to the post with them, till your kit comes in :)

I did try that actually. Hell if I could get the wire to cut. It dented my nail clippers though. This wasn't with the Kanthal that I'm using currently so I'll try it again.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
Water alone wont clean oil.
Imagine trying to clean a greasy frying pan with a rag and hot water .......

Any dish soap will clean fine.
Blue Dawn is my favorite for cleaning......great stuff.
Blue Dawn? This sounds very American ;). I may have to try Fairy. I think that's the UK's answer to Dawn.

Reactions: Sun Valley

Bakseated1

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2012
Pa
I did try that actually. Hell if I could get the wire to cut. It dented my nail clippers though. This wasn't with the Kanthal that I'm using currently so I'll try it again.

Leave yourself some extra wire in the legs so once you have them trapped down you can grab ahold of them and wiggle back and forth until it snaps off.

Can't get any closer than that.

Reactions: Waxxiii
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread