first mech mod options

Status
Not open for further replies.

louietheking

Mar 5, 2014
new york, NY
I'm looking into buying my first mechanical mod, i am not looking to do sub ohm vaping. probably going to be using an IMR 18350 and possibly an 18650 later on. I was looking to buy something cheap yet aesthetically pleasing. What would you guys recommend under $50 bucks?

these are some of the ones I am considering.... which one would you guys pick out of these 2?

$21.96 King Style Mechanical Mod - brass version at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$16.22 Sentinel M16 Telescopic Mechanical Mod - brass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

rhean

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
I don't have the King mod, but I do own the Sentinel. I love it. Solid as a rock, fires every time.

Drawbacks: Will only fit a kick in 18350 mode. I don't use a kick, but if you want that, it's a limitation.

The button itself is smooth, as are the threads. The only problem: Every other day or so, I need to rescrew it in, as it occasionally unscrews a little bit.

Threads are perfect. Its patina is pretty, too.

Edit: I got it from fasttech. Took three weeks to arrive :/

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
Both are said to be great mods, personally I would go with the m16 as the telescopic feature is useful when you switching battery size. With the king you would need to swap out center tubes each battery size change.

My favorite mech's are the k100 and the nemesis. k100 is telescopic and the nemesis is similar to the king.

Lastly what will you be using on the mod. Keep in mind that there is no power regulation so a fully charged battery will start out around 4.1-4.2 volts and slowly drop the longer it is used. Some toppers wont preform well at that voltage and may even run too hot, others may seem flat and might need more voltage applied. If you are going to be using a rebuildable atomizer you will want to have a resistance of 1.2-1.8 to start out. I also highly suggest something with adjustable air flow as many stock come with a tiny hole and creates a very stiff draw.

louietheking

Mar 5, 2014
new york, NY
I don't have the King mod, but I do own the Sentinel. I love it. Solid as a rock, fires every time.

Drawbacks: Will only fit a kick in 18350 mode. I don't use a kick, but if you want that, it's a limitation.

The button itself is smooth, as are the threads. The only problem: Every other day or so, I need to rescrew it in, as it occasionally unscrews a little bit.

Threads are perfect. Its patina is pretty, too.

Edit: I got it from fasttech. Took three weeks to arrive :/

thanks for the feedback, I really like the way both look thats the problem really, i dont know which one i would prefer in person as i have not seen either one so I am really undecided. If you had to buy again which one would you choose based on looks?

louietheking

Mar 5, 2014
new york, NY
Both are said to be great mods, personally I would go with the m16 as the telescopic feature is useful when you switching battery size. With the king you would need to swap out center tubes each battery size change.

My favorite mech's are the k100 and the nemesis. k100 is telescopic and the nemesis is similar to the king.

Lastly what will you be using on the mod. Keep in mind that there is no power regulation so a fully charged battery will start out around 4.1-4.2 volts and slowly drop the longer it is used. Some toppers wont preform well at that voltage and may even run too hot, others may seem flat and might need more voltage applied. If you are going to be using a rebuildable atomizer you will want to have a resistance of 1.2-1.8 to start out. I also highly suggest something with adjustable air flow as many stock come with a tiny hole and creates a very stiff draw.

thanks, I plan to be using the protank 2 at 1.2-2 ohms and the igo L i just ordered which i plan on rebuilding coils at about 1.2 to 2 ohms as well with cvs sterile cotton

rhean

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
thanks for the feedback, I really like the way both look thats the problem really, i dont know which one i would prefer in person as i have not seen either one so I am really undecided. If you had to buy again which one would you choose based on looks?

It's very subjective. Tube mods are elegant and beautiful, but I prefer the telescopic look; seems more interesting to me. Also, I like having the entire mod in one place, if that makes any sense. Having extension tubes, etc., seems less practical. That's just me, though. You might prefer the appearance of the King over the Sentinel.

EDIT: Sentinel does not have any kind of airflow control. I looked at a King mod, and that doesn't seem to have it, either. Protanks are bottom feeders with airflow coming from the bottom. My protanks do not like the Sentinel. The draw is either very tight, or nonexistent. Happily, I've switched to an rda (Patriot) and an Aga t2, and there is no problem with either of those.

Last edited:

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
Snapshot_20140217_10_zpsd7f8293f.jpg

On the right is the King Brass. Very good mod but the switch lock ring is not reverse threaded.

Snapshot_20140317_5_zpsc92f6dd5.jpg

This is the Chromed Brass King. By far it is my best clone mod. Reverse threaded lock ring. Short throw. Best switch I have ever seen in a clone. Very nice looks.
Only it will only be good for you if you don't mind using it in 18500 mode with a kick or 18650 without kick.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10006089/1516400-king-style-mechanical-mod

It's very subjective. Tube mods are elegant and beautiful, but I prefer the telescopic look; seems more interesting to me. Also, I like having the entire mod in one place, if that makes any sense. Having extension tubes, etc., seems less practical. That's just me, though. You might prefer the appearance of the King over the Sentinel.

EDIT: Sentinel does not have any kind of airflow control. I looked at a King mod, and that doesn't seem to have it, either. Protanks are bottom feeders with airflow coming from the bottom. My protanks do not like the Sentinel. The draw is either very tight, or nonexistent. Happily, I've switched to an rda (Patriot) and an Aga t2, and there is no problem with either of those.

yeah i kinda noticed that and that's the same problem I am having with the protank 2 on my current mod which I just solved temporarily by unscrewing it a bit creating a small gap for airflow, I am planning on buying an airflow control valve to fix the problem

Kanger Airflow Control Valve - Protank II, Protank 3, Aerotank

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
The King has less voltage drop through the body. The King rivals the Nemesis for minimal voltage loss under load, only about .03v loss.

The Sentinel is significantly higher. .12v loss though the chassis. .09v doesn't sound like much of a difference but a quick Ohms Law example...

3.7v at the battery = 3.67v on the King = 3.58v on the Sentinel

Now, let's say you use a 2.1ohm coil.....

3.67 * 3.67 / 2.1 = You're vaping with 6.41 watts of power
3.58 * 3.58 / 2.1 = You're vaping with 6.1 watts of power

This of course only applies to the stainless steel mods. Brass and copper is much more conductive.

rhean

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread