First Mechanical Mod, question about 510 safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

watts_upvape007

Mar 22, 2016
Hello everyone of the vape community, hope you all are having a good day. I am writing on this forum in regard to a 510 safety concern with a mechanical mod. I have been building on a velocity rda, Lemo Drop, Magma rda, and Igo-W for some time now on a couple of regulated devices and after probably close to 40-50 builds thus far in the past year. I now feel ready to get into mechanical mods (after research about Mech mods, battery safety, and ohms law) and have a concern about my 510 kepler heatsink (I would like to use it on the mod). The inner screw constantly moves around and I cut a thick o-ring, then put it under the copper screw to keep it from moving back down too far after screwing down an atty. My concern is that the o-ring might be too large and potentially cause a short. I tested it with 2 of my attys and got pleasant readings, and test fired them with no issues on a regulated device.

Just trying to be safe, I've uploaded a picture of what the connection looks like, if you guys could please share your opinion. The mechanical setup will be a Nemesis clone, using Sony VTC4 batteries from Li-ion Wholesale.

Reactions: Kaezziel

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
In theory, everything seems like it would be okay, but I'm a bit concerned because the o-ring was cut instead of just passing the screw through it. A better alternative would be to find a peek washer or a properly sized o-ring. I applaud your thinking though... much better than just "hoping for the best" which we see a lot of around here. :)

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Probably won't find peek washers at any of the local hardware stores... they're more of a specialty thing. Not too hard to find online, but a bit more difficult to source locally. How much gap do you have between the bottom of the screw and the top of the base? I don't know how much slack you're trying to take up, so an o-ring may be the best bet (or several peek washers?). Mechs can be tricky for such simple devices... but you seem to have a pretty decen handle on it. I just worry that the split o-ring may work itself free and then you could end up with a bit of trouble that you didn't want.

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Sorry... that's the thing about modifying stuff. If you want to do things a certain way sometimes you have to compromise on your timeline. I've got an atty right now that I'm dying to use, but it needs some fairly intricate modifications to work for my application. I need to get access to a specific piece of tooling in order to do it right, or I could gouge it out with a dremel.... I'd rather do it right. :lol:

Reactions: haleysdadda

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Thanks I appreciate the help @Kaezziel
Gonna take a trip to the hardware store tmr for some #60 o rings. I'll post an update in a few days about the setup :)

Anytime! :thumbs:

Can ya tag me when you post your update? I tend to miss a lot of posts over here in the "Newbie" thread... :lol:

watts_upvape007

Mar 22, 2016
Just a suggestion try an Auto Store as the O-Rings for automotive might be the right size. Many sizes in Nitrile rubber or other compounds. They can withstand heat and petroleum products so might just work. :2c::2c:
Thanks! There's one right by the local hardware store, I'll see what they have as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread