First parallel coil build...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitchy

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Haverhill, UNITED KINGDOM
Hi guys and gals. Just attempted my first ever parallel coil build, looks good. 2*28 gauge k. Measures 0.6 ohms. I was expecting tonnes of flavour from this. Sadly I’m disappointed. Have I done something wrong? Should I aim for lower ohm? My rda is dead rabbit sq. I have coil placement correct with airflow etc.... gone upto 20watts power. Any advice please?

fitchy

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Definitely not my area of expertise but do you believe you have enough power to heat 2 coils enough to deliver flavor well? I’m reaching here as I don’t really know but this is what first came to mind. Have you tried a bit higher wattage or tc?
Can’t do tc as it is kanthal coil... have gone up to 24/25 watts but too hot for my taste.... I usually like single coil at 12 watts. But this is my first single parallel coil build.

NickBurkhardt

Aug 31, 2015
Nidderau, Germany
First of all, what squonker do you have ? Single battery 18650 ? Regulated or mechanical ?
I would recommend to try some fancy coils, if you want good vapor production and flavour for days. A dead rabbit RDA on a squonker needs some more appropriate coils to give you the vape and flavour you want.

And the DR RDA is not a real MTL device, you would be happy with an simple parallel build on an Ares or any other MTL atty, but not with a dead rabbit RDA.

You can try to build a simple dual clapton or a twisted, maybe some bigger and different wire like stainless steel, but keep an eye on your ohms so your cell will still perfom safely.
I bet you'll be not disappointed if you try it. Since I learned to build claps, fused claps and alien coils, I don't want to use anything else. The outer wrap wire holds a lot of more liquid and produces the phenomenal flavour you are looking for. Simply said, you need more mass :D

Another tip is to find the right position of your coils to the airflow, if your coil is not perfectly aligned with your airflow, flavour gets muted and unpleasant. I hope I could help a bit to achieve your perfect setup :)
Best of luck !!!

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
I have a Dead Rabbit SQ as well, on a mech mod, and also have a 2 strands parallel build. I run it a much higher power though (or more precisely, much higher heat flux).

With your build, 21W is a heat flux of around 155mW/mm2. That's pretty low, so the vape is cold and kinda "weak". Nothing wrong here, it's all about taste, but it's cooler than what usually "fits" people (between 250 and 350 usually is a warm and tasteful vape).

The flavor you get should be similar to the one you had with one strand at 10W though. It's gives an identical vape, but with twice the surface area, so twice more, but I wouldn't expect the flavor to be twice as present.
If the amount of vapor is putting you of, you should try a smaller build (maybe one less wrap), with the same power it will give you a warmer and thinner vape that may be better for your taste.

For this build, you could try a wattage around 35, the vape will be much warmer, but the flavor will be much better! Keep your airflow wide open when trying this though, and pull a bit harder with your lungs.

NickBurkhardt

Aug 31, 2015
Nidderau, Germany
@fitchy Hey dude, how's it going ?Have you made some progress with your build ?

@Kazuko I wouldn't be satisfied with such small builds and I think heatflux is so overrated. I use steamengine too, but I don't care so much about heatflux,:cool: if it is a good vape, it is a good coil (imho) :D

Like this, not ultra perfect, but okay :
tmp-cam-1423424802.jpg

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
@fitchy Hey dude, how's it going ?Have you made some progress with your build ?

@Kazuko I wouldn't be satisfied with such small builds and I think heatflux is so overrated. I use steamengine too, but I don't care so much about heatflux,:cool: if it is a good vape, it is a good coil (imho) :D

Like this, not ultra perfect, but okay :
View attachment 750185

True that I tend to over calculate my builds, but using a mech, I kinda have to if I don't wanna spend entire evenings building various more-or-less functioning coils :/

fitchy

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Yep, I’m here...
Firstly I haven’t got any Clapton build experience, have tried twisted kanthal tho. It spits too much , hence why I tried parallel.
Secondly I’m using a single battery rsq for squonking.... it’s a regulated device...
Thirdly I am not a true mtl er.... I like a loosish mtl vape, not tight.. so using dead rabbit with af adjusted to a smallish amount.... and I actually prefer cooler vape as opposed to hot as hell. I’m not much concerned about clouds...
Thanks for any suggestions tho.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Try some other type of coil that offers more surface area but isn't just more wire.

I was really pleasantly surprised trying my first Clapton wire at 0.75 in a build, (but there were some additional factors, like it being an RBA, a (protected) mech and etc.

I got some 0.8 Clapton all stainless steel on order to try in some of my RTAs and I'll be interested in how it turns out. In certain cases (yours MAY be one of them) trying a different coil type or wire combo might be worth investigating. Just a thought, anyway.

Best of luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread